UCONN-Army in the Bronx on sale March 11-NOTE DATE | The Boneyard

UCONN-Army in the Bronx on sale March 11-NOTE DATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Flyin Ryan Phaelan must be doin a trip no? they are always kick ass! drink up and getcha pull!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Where does one tailgate at Yankee Stadium?

It's gotten harder and harder over the years. No open flames in parking garages (try to get up to top depending on weather) and the Harlem River lots can be tough @ times depending on spacing but not impossible. Think sangwiches out of the trunk as the best bet and the NYPD frown heavily @ open containers and aren't shy about dropping a ticket on ya if being a jerk about it. Bring blue solo cups!

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's gotten harder and harder over the years. No open flames in parking garages (try to get up to top depending on weather) and the Harlem River lots can be tough @ times depending on spacing but not impossible. Think sangwiches out of the trunk as the best bet and the NYPD frown heavily @ open containers and aren't shy about dropping a ticket on ya if being a jerk about it. Bring blue solo cups!

Speaking from experience, I can vouch for the importance of bringing cups. A friend of mine and I got slapped with summons a few years ago for drinking out of a bottle in the parking garage at our car. Got written up by a crew of NYPD Junior Patrol officers too. You either pay the fine or go back to the Bronx courthouse to defend your case. From that point on, I pound a couple of brews in the car then head over to the Vega for some tequila and CL Smooths.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bagged containers are allowed on MetroNorth. Not so on the subway or platforms. I went down to Yankee Stadium a few years ago and a couple plain clothes police issued 2 of buddies a ticket (A couple others and I ot rid of our can before getting caught). This was during the days of Yankee Stadium II and MetroNorth did not have a train directly to the ballpark.

Reaction Score
Bagged containers are allowed on MetroNorth. Not so on the subway or platforms. I went down to Yankee Stadium a few years ago and a couple plain clothes police issued 2 of buddies a ticket (A couple others and I ot rid of our can before getting caught). This was during the days of Yankee Stadium II and MetroNorth did not have a train directly to the ballpark.

All containers are allowed on the Metro North. No need to brown bag it.

Exceptions are generally made in Christmas or certain religious holidays, I believe.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
All containers are allowed on the Metro North. No need to brown bag it.

Exceptions are generally made in Christmas or certain religious holidays, I believe.

Not Christmas, per se, but SantaCon. I just read a story on it. MetroNorth has a bar car. Subways do not.

Reaction Score
Metro-North does NOT have a bar car on the way in, and mostly phasing them out on the way out. New trains don't have them. I think I may come in early and pregame in the city and take the subway up.

Reaction Score
Metro-North does NOT have a bar car on the way in, and mostly phasing them out on the way out. New trains don't have them. I think I may come in early and pregame in the city and take the subway up.

Why pay bar car prices anyway? Bring a six pack and enjoy it on the way up.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
We should get a group of BYers together to take the train all in together (at a specific time from New Haven maybe?) or select a place to all park/tailgate down in the Bronx.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a buddy who grew up just outside the city today and he said Army football is a huge deal and the most closely followed college football team in NYC (sorry Cuse and RU.) With both of our fanbases this will sell out.

Reaction Score
I was talking to a buddy who grew up just outside the city today and he said Army football is a huge deal and the most closely followed college football team in NYC (sorry Cuse and RU.) With both of our fanbases this will sell out.

Doubt it.

Reaction Score
Terrible place to watch a football game. Can't wait to buy my tickets!!

I tailgated at the old (REAL) Yankee Stadium several times...east river lots were the easiest. Haven't bothered at the new place. I will be riding Metro North from New Haven.

Reaction Score
“@desmondconner: Press Conference at #YankeeStadium Thursday with #UConn #Army officials to talk about upcoming game at the stadium Nov.8”

Reaction Score

I would take that with a heavy dose of salt. Being the most popular college football team in NYC is like being the most popular NHL team in Somalia.

Reaction Score
East River Lots...You can tailgate, bring cups and nobody will give you a hard time. You can expect little to no Port-O-Lets in the lot. Usually one or two for the entire lot.

Reaction Score
From today's media event:

@desmondconner: #CBS will carry #UConnFootball vs #Army Nov.8 Nationally-televised game time to be determined
Also. Ward and diaco both big Yankee fans.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Silver blog post

UConn Director of Athletics Warde Manuel likes the idea of playing games at Yankee Stadium, and said there are discussions about possibly future games, though he was quick to add that playing games at Rentschler Field is a priority, as is the home field advantage.

“I am open to many different discussions,” Manuel said. “But Mark (Holtzman) knows that playing in the home base is important. We will continue to look at …I want to make sure our team and fans have a great opportunity at home. I am open to discussions moving forward. Mark is very talented and very persistent.”

John Silver ‏@JohnFSilver 35m
Diaco, of course was at Yankee Stadium for UConn-Army game. Yankees apear to want UConn more. Manuel had to toe line with politics...

John Silver ‏@JohnFSilver 34m
...of non-rent home games. Interesting moving forward. Huskies want to make Rent a place to go, but hard to turn down NYC.

Reaction Score
UConn head coach Bob Diaco was the defensive coordinator for the Notre Dame team that beat Army, 27-3, in 2010.
"I've seen the glimmer in the student-athletes' eyes as they enter the stadium, are in the locker room, are on the field," Diaco said. "It's a life moment."
Diaco, the first-year head coach at Connecticut, grew up a Yankees fan about 30 minutes from the Stadium in Cedar Grove, N.J.
"My family has had Yankees tickets forever and ever and ever," Diaco said, "and they still do."
Connecticut athletic director Warde Manuel, a New Orleans native, became a Yankees fan by watching Ron Guidry, or "Louisiana Lightning," growing up.
Holtzman said the Yankees long sought an opportunity to host UConn for a football game, and Corrigan suggested the idea to Manuel while the athletic directors negotiated a home-and-home series for the two programs. Army will travel to UConn's Rentschler Field in 2015.
While Manuel joked he would cut off half of UConn's fanbase, split between Boston and New York, by admitting to his Yankees leanings, he did not hide his respect for Army.
"As a proud son of an Army sergeant, it's a team that you root for when you're not playing against them," Manuel said.
And both teams expressed a shared excitement to join the Yankee Stadium tradition.
"When you talk about pride and talk about passion, you're talking about the Yankees," Diaco said. "To be in the stadium, it's a little surreal. To join the three brands -- the Yankee brand, the UConn brand and the West Point brand -- it's a great, great, competitive, classy, high-character venue."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb...md=20140306&content_id=68802170&vkey=news_mlb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom