UConn Approves Plans For New Ice Hockey Arena | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Approves Plans For New Ice Hockey Arena

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
There has been no indication as to whether the new arena will be constructed in a way that will make future expansion possible, as detailed plans aren’t set to go before the board until the end of October.

I can't imagine that it is cost prohibitive to add a 1,000 seats and 500 standing room which would get us to the original 4,000 capacity standard.

Reaction Score
Remember this lunacy the next time you read about Malloy and his democrat cronies asking for a $10,000,000 toll study.

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh just brought in the what - #2 recruiting class in the country - with all of these kids knowing they would be playing their games at the XL and just meh on-campus facilities.
I'm not ready to jump off the ledge with the mindset that everything is about to fall apart now. Cavanaugh uses the XL center as a recruiting tool, not as an enemy.
Get the on campus locker rooms, etc up to HE-caliber - setting aside seating capacity issues - and then move from there. At the very least though, it would be wise for them to allow the ability to add seats in the future so that when I hit power ball I can fund the continuing development of the arena.

Reaction Score
Cavanaugh just brought in the what - #2 recruiting class in the country - with all of these kids knowing they would be playing their games at the XL and just meh on-campus facilities.
I'm not ready to jump off the ledge with the mindset that everything is about to fall apart now. Cavanaugh uses the XL center as a recruiting tool, not as an enemy.
Get the on campus locker rooms, etc up to HE-caliber - setting aside seating capacity issues - and then move from there. At the very least though, it would be wise for them to allow the ability to add seats in the future so that when I hit power ball I can fund the continuing development of the arena.
When he was hired he was told that they would have a on-campus facility that would be comparable to the rest of the league. He has said as much in radio interviews on College Hockey Weekly on the NHL channel on Sirius/XM. He has even gone as far as to say he has sided the original drawings that came out a few years ago as a recruiting tool. Now that they pulled this on him I just don’t expect him to be here for the long haul anymore. If a school in HE that is all in makes a run at him he will be gone. I also don’t expect Joe Periera to stick around much longer either.

Reaction Score
When he was hired he was told that they would have a on-campus facility that would be comparable to the rest of the league. He has said as much in radio interviews on College Hockey Weekly on the NHL channel on Sirius/XM. He has even gone as far as to say he has sided the original drawings that came out a few years ago as a recruiting tool. Now that they pulled this on him I just don’t expect him to be here for the long haul anymore. If a school in HE that is all in makes a run at him he will be gone. I also don’t expect Joe Periera to stick around much longer either.

I find it hard to believe the athletic department blind sided the coach. This move seems short sighted but I really think he’s ok with it. Who’s knows, maybe the facility will be small for now, the ability to easily expand, and has really quality locker rooms. Honestly the only people arena size matters to are the fans

Reaction Score
I find it hard to believe the athletic department blind sided the coach. This move seems short sighted but I really think he’s ok with it. Who’s knows, maybe the facility will be small for now, the ability to easily expand, and has really quality locker rooms. Honestly the only people arena size matters to are the fans
Go back and find the original drawings for the on-campus facility they originally wanted to build on the corner of South Eagleville Rd & 195...the project that the Town of Mansfield went bat- crazy over. It's DEFINITELY NOT what they are talking about now...it's shy of at LEAST 2000-2500 seats minimum.
Actually take the time to click on the links below...I did your search job for you..now you just have to read the info
New Hockey Barn Concept Art/Floor Plan on Display?
Location of new Hockey arena
http://www.mansfieldct.gov/filestorage/1904/5335/1912/20150126_minutes.pdf

Reaction Score
So Cavanaugh approves of using XL. Guess that settles a lot of questions. The 2500 seater is for games against Sacred Heart, etc.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have figures on how many season ticket holders there are?

Reaction Score
Seems like Cavanaugh had some input and is willing to sacrifice seats for quality.

Reaction Score
Seems like Cavanaugh had some input and is willing to sacrifice seats for quality.
The problem still exists that if they're dropping $$ to build a sparkling facility, why is it being done to only host games against the bottom of the league and crappy OOC games? If the investment is going to be made to build a top-quality facility, the additional seats should be put there in the beginning and the best games should be played there to show off the facility. If they're just going to build a something to have some games on campus, don't spend the extra money on it when all of the best games are going to be played elsewhere. May as well stick some extra bleachers in Freitas and renovate the lobby/locker rooms. This remains a misguided and haphazard plan.

Reaction Score
Not happy about the #.
However, It better be the best dang 2,500 seat rink out there.

If you only have so much $, the majority of the budget should go towards player development and recruitment. So max $ to the locker room, classroom, S&C, weights, treatment room, etc.

Sell the positives of both arenas:
On campus: more about the student athlete perks and competing on the recruitment trail. Get the local CT kids

XL: More for the fans/crowds/Atmosphere/capacity

If somehow the athlete perks are reduced because of trying to meet 4k seating capacity, than the on campus idea is pointless. THe XL provide the crowds

TL:DR version:
I’d rather have a great 2,500 rink geared towards the hockey players, than a 4,000 rink geared towards the fans.

However, Fan perspective:
Must have ALL chairback seats.
Great acoustics. Gotta be LOUD
Seat angle and feel close to action
Great concessions. Not just dogs, pretzels, etc. have a switchable vendor spot. I mean really good food

Possible private alumni/donor suite with booze access. (Certain $$$ will get you access). Don’t make it where a normal fan can’t have a chance to get in. ($500+ season donation).

Calling it right now:
1,000 of the seats will have a seat license/donation like the rent.

1,000 x 250 x 4 yrs = an xtra million every student cycle. I’d be willing to pay if they do it right and go all out with the ability to expand.

Reaction Score
In Schneider's 3030 seat arena all seats are chairbacks. On the east side of the arena there is a suite that overlooks the ice where fans drink beer and wine. Many years ago it was members only. The last 20 + years it has been open to people over 21. Met many opposing fans there. They had a little seating area for Athletic director staff to schmooze donors. The Conte Form has a members only lounge as well.

Reaction Score
Freitas: good to have 2 ice surfaces for 2 teams (men and women).
Expandable to 4K: wish it would be up to 4,500, but ability to increase to 4K works.
Fire code: @FDNY99 or others: As long as adequate egress and other safety requirements exist, any reason some or all of the student section could not be standing-room only from day 1 to forever? Skip the seat costs; just separate rows and give 'em a padded standing bar to lean on (not a wet bar they'd like yet encourage involvement and allocate limited dinero elsewhere in the arena, training facilities, etc). ;)

Reaction Score
Freitas: good to have 2 ice surfaces for 2 teams (men and women).
Expandable to 4K: wish it would be up to 4,500, but ability to increase to 4K works.
Fire code: @FDNY99 or others: As long as adequate egress and other safety requirements exist, any reason some or all of the student section could not be standing-room only from day 1 to forever? Skip the seat costs; just separate rows and give 'em a padded standing bar to lean on (not a wet bar they'd like yet encourage involvement and allocate limited dinero elsewhere in the arena, training facilities, etc). ;)
Yeah....I'm sure they will make entry/egress to match 4K. I'm also sure that if they make it big enough to hold 4K seating capacity there will be sufficient room for SRO attendance until that's completed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It screams of the usual short sighted approach we've always seen. I've read the explanations and it all comes down to the same thing (a) using UConn to drive XL improvements and once again "save Hartford" and (b) lack of money. Even if they continue to play in a revamped or new XL, it still should be 4,000 capacity. If XL is dead and gone, it needs to be over 5,000.

I'm so glad I don't live in that state anymore. It's hard to imagine a state that has been more mismanaged than Connecticut. Pissing away resources and opportunities.

Reaction Score
In an ideal world where money is not a concern and the Mansfield NIMBY crowd disappears, Freitas would be vamped to include two sheets and serve as the training facility for both UConn hockey teams with evening ice time up for rent by the local community to score some brownie points. Regional School District #19 agrees to a land swap and the towns get a bright, shiny, new EO Smith High School with all of the space they ned across the street from the Depot Campus. The old EO Smith is torn down and dual-purpose arena (to save some money) is built there that holds 14,000 for hoops and 6,000 for hockey. All of the money making seats and suites would be in the lower bowl along with the press area and 2,000 student seats in the lower bowl with 2,000 more in second deck. Maybe in time a new arts theater for about 3,000 can be built in S lot, which is next to the Arts campus anyway, replacing Jorgensen. A new garage serving both can go where EO Smith's turf field currently sits. In the Commons, a mid-level hotel is added along with additional bars and restaurants (a movie theater would also be nice) to serve increased foot traffic. That also allows for UConn to add additional engineering/science facilities where Jorgensen sits and I am sure some need can be addressed on the land where Gampel as its in the middle of campus.

I'll have this all done as soon as Bezon turns over ownership of Amazon to me and I sell my stock...

Reaction Score
In Schneider's 3030 seat arena all seats are chairbacks. On the east side of the arena there is a suite that overlooks the ice where fans drink beer and wine. Many years ago it was members only. The last 20 + years it has been open to people over 21. Met many opposing fans there. They had a little seating area for Athletic director staff to schmooze donors. The Conte Form has a members only lounge as well.
Brown has some cool antiquated facilities.

Reaction Score
It screams of the usual short sighted approach we've always seen. I've read the explanations and it all comes down to the same thing (a) using UConn to drive XL improvements and once again "save Hartford" and (b) lack of money. Even if they continue to play in a revamped or new XL, it still should be 4,000 capacity. If XL is dead and gone, it needs to be over 5,000.

I'm so glad I don't live in that state anymore. It's hard to imagine a state that has been more mismanaged than Connecticut. Pissing away resources and opportunities.
With all that I see going on in Bridgeport, I cannot see how Connecticut would be let go to waste. Way too much American history here. Hartford will have an arena somehow, as it's proven to be successful in hosting one. This state will find a way to continue to create opportunities, as well.

The salt on the roads in the winter does need to be diluted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom