UConn Announces Additional Resources to Support Student Student-Athlete NIL Initiatives | The Boneyard

UConn Announces Additional Resources to Support Student Student-Athlete NIL Initiatives

Reaction Score

-> The aforementioned partnership with Opendorse will be enriched by a collaboration with Learfield, as the two entities will form a branded marketplace that will allow student-athletes to more-easily identify NIL opportunities. Learfield, which is the multimedia rights holder for UConn athletics, has committed to hiring a dedicated staff member charged with selling and facilitating deals for student-athletes within the Northeast. The Learfield/Opendorse partnership will also provide a streamlined process by which potential partners can engage with student-athletes and their representatives. <-

Reaction Score

Alternate access<<

-> UConn also announced the school is “working to explore and identify collectives that align with the best interest of student-athletes.” Collectives are outside entities — often groups of alumni, donors or booster — that raise money to fund NIL activity for college athletes.

Norwalk native Marc D’Amelio, a 1991 UConn graduate and patriarch of a family of social media influencers, recently formed the D’Amelio Huskies Collective.

“Marc D’Amelio will help provide opportunities for student-athletes while also lending his expertise in the personal branding space,” UConn’s release said. “Additional interest from UConn supporters exists in this area and the overarching goal is that the product of this exploration is something that can endure, for the benefit of all Husky student-athletes.” <-

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It’s so refreshing to not see UConn lack behind on NIL. While a lot of people have (deserved) gripes about some of the thing the athletic department does, this is certainly the most forward thinking AD staff we’ve had in decades.

Reaction Score
It’s so refreshing to not see UConn lack behind on NIL. While a lot of people have (deserved) gripes about some of the thing the athletic department does, this is certainly the most forward thinking AD staff we’ve had in decades.
This is all nice…but if they don’t get some donors willing to spend serious $$$ this won’t matter

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Having a collective is nice, having one with $$$ to give out is what matters
Obviously more rich alums stepping up would be nice, but that money you're looking for is going to be coming from D'Amelio

Reaction Score

Well, there's still the State of Connecticut. Better late than never though.

"Prior to the passage of this updated law, Connecticut was one of only two states that blocked student-athletes from using their schools’ logos."

Reaction Score
Obviously more rich alums stepping up would be nice, but that money you're looking for is going to be coming from D'Amelio
I believe D'Amelio's primary role is as an advisor or consultant.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I believe D'Amelio's primary role is as an advisor or consultant.
Or perhaps as a “facilitator.” Don’t underestimate the value of that.

Reaction Score
yes, it's the name of the game, but I hate talk about "building brand." We're basically encouraging athletes to model themselves off of obnoxious social media personalities in order to hawk crap.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
yes, it's the name of the game, but I hate talk about "building brand." We're basically encouraging athletes to model themselves off of obnoxious social media personalities in order to hawk crap.
Everything in the world is a brand. If athletes don’t brand themselves, it’s a disservice to themselves.

I doubt Marc will have Andre Jackson shaking his butt on TikTok to peddle Dunkin’ Donuts, but if he does, more power to him!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Complainant posts on a small-scale social media platform, represented by an avatar of former Mets player Keith Hernandez and Muppets character Count von Count wearing MLB gear. Unintentional irony?

Reaction Score
Complainant posts on a small-scale social media platform, represented by an avatar of former Mets player Keith Hernandez and Muppets character Count von Count wearing MLB gear. Unintentional irony?
What's ironic about that? Keith Hernandez wasn't building his brand by going on Sesame Street or making any money doing so. I'm all for athletes doing charitable things.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What's ironic about that? Keith Hernandez wasn't building his brand by going on Sesame Street or making any money doing so. I'm all for athletes doing charitable things.
I think I covered myself by not specifically attributing
brand-building to Keith Hernandez, the Mets, Jim Henson Productions, or Major League Baseball, and I have no idea about financial arrangements & charity dimensions of that appearance or your access to and use of name, image, and likeness. Moreover, includedthe question mark.

I will add that your reply does nothing to contradict my qualifying adjective "unintentional," in case others find irony. I get and accept that you do not.

Back in the day, my daughter was a huge fan, and would gleefully point & shout out, "Count count!" whenever she saw him on TV.

Reaction Score
I think I covered myself by not specifically attributing
brand-building to Keith Hernandez, the Mets, Jim Henson Productions, or Major League Baseball, and I have no idea about financial arrangements & charity dimensions of that appearance or your access to and use of name, image, and likeness. Moreover, includedthe question mark.

I will add that your reply does nothing to contradict my qualifying adjective "unintentional," in case others find irony. I get and accept that you do not.

Back in the day, my daughter was a huge fan, and would gleefully point & shout out, "Count count!" whenever she saw him on TV.
My reply wasn't trying to contradict your use of unintentional; it literally asked how my post was ironic.

Brand building isn't Keith Hernandez going on Sesame Street to count with the Count. Brand building is Azzi Fudd doing a commercial for Chipotle and saying "I, Azzi Fudd, very good basketball player for a very good basketball team endorse Chipotle and think you all should eat there." Those obviously aren't the same things.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My reply wasn't trying to contradict your use of unintentional; it literally asked how my post was ironic.

Brand building isn't Keith Hernandez going on Sesame Street to count with the Count. Brand building is Azzi Fudd doing a commercial for Chipotle and saying "I, Azzi Fudd, very good basketball player for a very good basketball team endorse Chipotle and think you all should eat there." Those obviously aren't the same things.
Perfectly fine rebuttal as to Hernandez.

Now run Muppets, Mets, and MLB through a similar analysis. Still might come up empty, but, there's got to be some reason why all are grouped together, and it's not just for you to have had an image to choose for your avatar, which I immediately & irrefutably associated with multiple brands, all of which had to sign off on the combined use, with the presumption that there'd be a combination of no harm and some benefit, whether directly monetary or not.

I'm not criticizing you, so much as raising what I think are real questions (including my own understanding of the evolving topic). Quite surely, I do see that current financial rewards factor heavily into NCAA NIL decisions for the players.

Reaction Score

-> "Our partnership with The Brandr Group will provide UConn student-athletes with additional opportunities to monetize their name, image and likeness, and enhance their personal brands," director of athletics David Benedict said. "The Brandr Group is a significant leader in this space and will help facilitate student-athlete NIL-endeavors in areas such as co-branded apparel, video games, and trading cards. We are excited to partner with The Brandr Group and are confident that our fans will take advantage of the additional opportunities to support our student-athletes that TBG will help provide." <-

-> While no specific timetable is set, fans can expect to be able to purchase official UConn merchandise, including team jerseys with the name and number of players who have joined the respective group licensing program, once TBG enters into agreements with applicable school trademark licensees. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom