UConn and USF in the 8 vs 9 matchup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and USF in the 8 vs 9 matchup

Reaction Score
With Carlton peaking, Polley hitting shots, and Jalen back healthy all we need is Gilbert healthy to run the table. #HurleyDifference

Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard -- we complain about a tough path to the championship game after a 15-16 season. It's not supposed to be easy as a 9 seed!
If we had Jalen for that 1-7 stretch it might have been different but it was never going to be real easy. All we can do is beat USF & hope to catch Houston on an off day and fight like hell.

The one good thing about having the early games on Thurs / Fr is that if you win you have the rest of the day to rest & prep for next game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Feels a little 2011ish to me...we finished 9th in the Big East that year and then went on a tear. Not saying that will happen again, but give me the 9 seed and let’s do this. Beat Houston and we take their 1 seed. They may come out flat after a big win at Cincy and almost a week off. Hoping AG can go by Friday otherwise we’ll have a hard time staying in front of Davis

Reaction Score
With Carlton peaking, Polley hitting shots, and Jalen back healthy all we need is Gilbert healthy to run the table. #HurleyDifference

That is why I said I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gilbert give it a go on Friday if he’s medically cleared. If you feel good enough to play and you’re playing the #1 seed in the conference tournament, you play. I hope for a quick recovery for Rique.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Should be a good game and I think we have the advantage. They only beat us in one half of basketball this season after our collapse in the 1st game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why record against Wichita State is the tie-breaker? That makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
That is why I said I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gilbert give it a go on Friday if he’s medically cleared. If you feel good enough to play and you’re playing the #1 seed in the conference tournament, you play. I hope for a quick recovery for Rique.
Well if AG gets on the plane to Memphis we'll find out, no real reason for him to travel post-concussion / injury if there isn't a chance to play. I have my doubts that he will / should play but if he flies then he might.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why record against Wichita State is the tie-breaker? That makes no sense at all.

Yes. If 2 teams are tied, the first tiebreaker is head to head. We split so into the next metric. The next metric is record against the top seed in the conference, which is Houston. We both lost to Houston so then it goes to record against the 2 seed in the conference. We both lost to Cincy so onto record against the 3 seed, etc. It keeps going down in the standings until Wichita, who we beat once and SMU lost to.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Good things sometimes happen when we’re the #9 seed in a conference tournament.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Feels a little 2011ish to me...we finished 9th in the Big East that year and then went on a tear. Not saying that will happen again, but give me the 9 seed and let’s do this. Beat Houston and we take their 1 seed. They may come out flat after a big win at Cincy and almost a week off. Hoping AG can go by Friday otherwise we’ll have a hard time staying in front of Davis

Aside from having the best player in college hoops, an undefeated out of conference, and being ranked, I'm feeling the same 2011 vibes too!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Did USF forfeit?

Reaction Score
We had a easier first game in 2011 that seemed to right the floundering ship.
But If we play well we could win against a pretty decent team. . I always thought teams with a bye in tourneys are at a disadvantage so a second round upset is a distinct possibility.
Maybe getting to the third round may get us in to the NIT but I suspect not.
The fourth round is must but if you get that far why not win it all.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Only on the boneyard -- we complain about a tough path to the championship game after a 15-16 season. It's not supposed to be easy as a 9 seed!
This is disingenuous. It's not complaining as if we "deserve better". We just got sort of unlucky the way the seeding falls in terms of timing and matchups. Most on here are unable to watch the games. Also, the 10 seed (lower than our seed) has an easier path and night games. Our complaints have nothing to do with what you're saying. You can't tell me you wouldn't rather be the 10 seed doing night games, playing Tulsa and then Cinci, on the opposite side of Houston/UCF.

Reaction Score
This is disingenuous. It's not complaining as if we "deserve better". We just got sort of unlucky the way the seeding falls in terms of timing and matchups. Most on here are unable to watch the games. Also, the 10 seed (lower than our seed) has an easier path and night games. Our complaints have nothing to do with what you're saying. You can't tell me you wouldn't rather be the 10 seed doing night games, playing Tulsa and then Cinci, on the opposite side of Houston/UCF.
You have to watch every game like it's your last! Let's go!

Reaction Score
Well said. I was about to respond with exact same thing. I don’t think we deserve anything the way we played this year but it’s just fitting that with all the things that have happened this year - they also draw the worst possible section of the bracket in the worst possible time slots

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I always thought teams with a bye in tourneys are at a disadvantage so a second round upset is a distinct possibility.

Not in the Big East it wasn't. Outside of 2011, it was the only way to win the whole thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom