UConn and UMass to play for "at least next 10 years" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and UMass to play for "at least next 10 years"

Reaction Score
No irony at all, I really like this move for both squads. I’d be game to also go back to playing Yale every year too.

Reaction Score
This this announcement makes me a little nostalgic and a little depressed and a little hopeful.

It makes me nostalgic because UMass was the big rivalry game when I was in school. It makes me depressed because my big fear is that UMass is a football peer and I thought we had long ago left them behind. It makes me hopeful, because after last weekend I wasn’t entirely convinced that we would still be playing football in 10 years. The announcement of a 10 year contract is a statement of commitment.

I agree it makes sense.
You know though, if you look at the two schedules, if we are successful and they are, one of us will be a pretty superior program. But I know what you mean. Still if they improve and we improve, it could develop into a nice rivalry again. What I’d like to see is one of those where we win 3 out of 4 and fire the coach after the 4th.

Reaction Score
As long as Yale is our only FCS game yearly.
Ultimately I don't think they can be. Yale doesn't offer football scholarships and can't count towards bowl eligibility... this year no issue, we had two games... one wasn't counting. Hopefully in the future, no issues, because the team is good enough to win 6 FBS games a year... but in the near-term, Yale probably can't be the 1AA game.

Reaction Score
Ideally, UMass improves some while UConn massively improves and defeats the Minutemen most seasons. No brainer scheduling for November slots.

By contrast, Yale's unlikely to be more than a once a decade or so or maybe late fill in due to their Grant-in-Aid/Non-Scholarship status. Plenty of room to allocate 1 FCS game/season to ex-Yankee/Atlantic conference opponents, other regional FCS schools, etc for 2 reasons: 1. potential local ticket sales revenues, and 2. bowl eligibility qualifiers games (the latter unlike the Ivies).

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We did a tour of UMass Amherst yesterday with my son. The tour guide noted to the group that they had just beaten their football rival UConn. I clarified to the wife and child that I don't consider us rivals yet, but it could be heading that way.

Reaction Score
Ultimately I don't think they can be. Yale doesn't offer football scholarships and can't count towards bowl eligibility... this year no issue, we had two games... one wasn't counting. Hopefully in the future, no issues, because the team is good enough to win 6 FBS games a year... but in the near-term, Yale probably can't be the 1AA game.
Ivy really should be exempt from that rule considering the full-demonstrated-need financial aid every athlete gets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We did a tour of UMass Amherst yesterday with my son. The tour guide noted to the group that they had just beaten their football rival UConn. I clarified to the wife and child that I don't consider us rivals yet, but it could be heading that way.
LOL

Question:
What kind of loser makes up a rivalry?

1634328135937.jpeg

Answer:
The worst kind.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
LOL

Question:
What kind of loser makes up a rivalry?

View attachment 70319

Answer:
The worst kind.
Too bad I don't have a pic of my tour guide that we could add to the list.
TBH, I was expecting to be chastised for even touring UMass. He already knows the list of schools I will NOT accept sweatshirts from, though I'd be proud of him for getting accepted. BCU, UMess, Puke, The Fruit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Too bad I don't have a pic of my tour guide that we could add to the list.
TBH, I was expecting to be chastised for even touring UMass. He already knows the list of schools I will NOT accept sweatshirts from, though I'd be proud of him for getting accepted. BCU, UMess, Puke, The Fruit.
One of the neighborhood kids went to Cuse. After I congratulated him on getting in and a short pause I said “you know we’re enemies now right?” He laughed and said he knew.

Reaction Score
This just aligns with current commitments that we are wed to the New Big East for a decade. So, UMass has to be on the schedule as an Indy.

Reaction Score
One of the neighborhood kids went to Cuse. After I congratulated him on getting in and a short pause I said “you know we’re enemies now right?” He laughed and said he knew.
I tell mystudents and family members that decide to go there 1) congratulations and i look forward to hearing how it is everything you were looking for ina school and 2) I hope all of your athletic teams lose every game you play. Except against BC.

Reaction Score

This is going to be historic. UMass/UConn wasn't our rivalry game, but we should make it into a name game (Tobacco Valley Cup is too politically incorrect now, so is the Amory Cup, highlighting Colt and Springfield Armory), but the Connecticut River Cup (with a stuffed shad as a trophy).

Reaction Score
Never saw an official announcement about this here or on the 'net (or maybe there was one and I missed it), but we have UMass on our schedule at the Rent next season on November 5th. Good. Let's smash 'em.

mail.jpg

Reaction Score
As far as local interest, that's actually a great home schedule. Cuse, BCU, UMass, and even CCSU. Fresno & Liberty won't get as much buzz around here but both are good programs, especially Fresno as we well know from getting torched by them in that oven last August.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't complain about that home schedule. It's not great but it isn't terrible. Wouldn't mind seeing all of them.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
As far as local interest, that's actually a great home schedule. Cuse, BCU, UMass, and even CCSU. Fresno & Liberty won't get as much buzz around here but both are good programs, especially Fresno as we well know from getting torched by them in that oven last August.
1-5. We may beat Central. Liberty will wax us.

Reaction Score
Good, competitive, rivalry.

Perhaps another rivalry "countdown clock" would be a fitting accoutrement to the new locker room.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1-5. We may beat Central. Liberty will wax us.
We'll beat Central and UMass. Possible upset of Syracuse. I don't have much hope for the other three.

Reaction Score
Good. And congrats to Army for today's win over Mizzou.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Army for today's win over Mizzou.
Army lost the lead in the last 2 mins of the game. They then started at their 20 with 1:11 left, moved down the field and kicked a pressure packed 41yd winning field goal as time expired. It was incredible! Go Army!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom