UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament

Reaction Score
Interesting stat. Chris Winkel walked again today. After going for a good portion of the season with drawing very few walks, he now has 7 walks in 10 games. He now has 14 on the season, so half his walks have come very recently.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, unless I have this wrong, we have to play the winner of WSU vs ECU and get two shots to beat them once. That puts us in a single elimination championship game. Seems important to win this next game and have pitching set for Sunday.

Reaction Score
So, unless I have this wrong, we have to play the winner of WSU vs ECU and get two shots to beat them once. That puts us in a single elimination championship game. Seems important to win this next game and have pitching set for Sunday.
You are correct. I may be crazy but I want ECU

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You are correct. I may be crazy but I want ECU
It would be great for the RPI. Worst case scenario we get 2 games and a nice bump.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
But I really don’t want to go 0-5 against them. I could live with 1-4
I’d say we’re hoping for an extra inning game tomorrow where they exhaust their staff. And the we whoop ‘em on Saturday.

Reaction Score
It would be great for the RPI. Worst case scenario we get 2 games and a nice bump.

Agree. ECU is high upside, low downside. We win, and another win Sunday gives us a chance to host. We lose (twice even) and our RPI holds steady.

WSU is low upside, some downside. Even a win does nothing for our RPI or resume so hosting is pretty unlikely even if we win out. And two losses could drop our RPI below 30 and serve as an excuse for the committee to screw us with seeding/region.

Reaction Score
So even if we win the first game Saturday its sudden death Sunday?

Yes...

Thursday, May 23 | American Digital Network
Game 7: UConn 9, Wichita State 7
Game 8: Cincinnati vs. Tulane | 7 p.m. ET

Friday, May 24 | American Digital Network
Game 9: Wichita State vs. ECU | 3 p.m. ET
Game 10: Loser of Game 8 vs. UCF | 7 p.m. ET

Saturday, May 25 | American Digital Network
Game 11: UConn vs. Winner of Game 9 | 10 a.m. ET
Game 12: Winner of Game 8 vs. Winner of Game 10 | 47 minutes following Game 11
Game 13: Loser of Game 11 vs. Winner of Game 11 (if necessary) | TBD
Game 14: Loser of Game 12 vs. Winner of Game 12 (if necessary) | TBD

Sunday, May 26 | Championship | ESPNews
Game 15: Semifinal winners | Noon ET

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes...

Thursday, May 23 | American Digital Network
Game 7: UConn 9, Wichita State 7
Game 8: Cincinnati vs. Tulane | 7 p.m. ET

Friday, May 24 | American Digital Network
Game 9: Wichita State vs. ECU | 3 p.m. ET
Game 10: Loser of Game 8 vs. UCF | 7 p.m. ET

Saturday, May 25 | American Digital Network
Game 11: UConn vs. Winner of Game 9 | 10 a.m. ET
Game 12: Winner of Game 8 vs. Winner of Game 10 | 47 minutes following Game 11
Game 13: Loser of Game 11 vs. Winner of Game 11 (if necessary) | TBD
Game 14: Loser of Game 12 vs. Winner of Game 12 (if necessary) | TBD

Sunday, May 26 | Championship | ESPNews
Game 15: Semifinal winners | Noon ET
That’s really bizarre. Typically the team that comes out of the loser needs to beat the team out of the winners bracket twice. Would really suck to lose once and not win a double elimination tournament.

Reaction Score
That’s really bizarre. Typically the team that comes out of the loser needs to beat the team out of the winners bracket twice. Would really suck to lose once and not win a double elimination tournament.

The Big East did it the same way when UConn was part of that conference. It is the price you pay for getting the conference final game somewhere on one of the ESPN network channels.

Reaction Score
It's not a given, but there's a chance we're playing Cincinnati or Tulane who also won't have any losses in the championship. Hard to have any other format since you'd have to allot for a potential 3 game championship round

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

On our side, yes, WSU or ECU has to beat us twice. Championship game is one game.

I’m pretty sure it has happened to us before. But pending the game now, either Cinci or Tulane is also 2-0 right now. So the Championship game can be between undefeated teams, or not.

Reaction Score
Not really. It's two separate double elim brackets. Win your bracket and you are in the championship game.

Reaction Score
It's not a given, but there's a chance we're playing Cincinnati or Tulane who also won't have any losses in the championship. Hard to have any other format since your have to allot for a potential 3 game championship round
You are correct, any other way other than the way it is or a pool play set up would not feasibly work with 8 teams.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Thank you to all who explained the bracket to me. Didn’t realize it was set up as two different brackets rather than a true double elim. As usual I’m just a dumb guy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's not a given, but there's a chance we're playing Cincinnati or Tulane who also won't have any losses in the championship. Hard to have any other format since you'd have to allot for a potential 3 game championship round
Not a three game round in double elim. Either winners bracket champ wins game one or loses resulting in winner take all game. Teams could potentially play 3 times in a row but necessarily in one “round”

Reaction Score
Thank you to all who explained the bracket to me. Didn’t realize it was set up as two different brackets rather than a true double elim. As usual I’m just a dumb guy.

You would love the set up for the college World Series. 8 teams split into two pods. Each pod plays a double elimination. The winners of each pod play each other in a 2 out of 3 series for the championship. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom