UConn and the 2018 NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2018 NCAA Men’s Soccer Tournament

Reaction Score
Hey I give them credit for not quitting and not giving up. Now go out to Bloomington and play with house money. They played them there once this season so they shouldn't be too star struck. And a win like this has to give u some good vibes going into the weekend.

UConn athletics in 2018. Start with low expectations. Watch as they are not met.

Reaction Score
The good news for UConn men's soccer is that they got back into the NCAA tournament this season. The bad news is that they are quite a distance from actually being competitive with the top teams in college soccer.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The new stadium and a new regime cannot come quick enough
I really like RR but his tenure has been a declining slope for years - his recruiting has been shaky and his game plans have been non creative and ineffective
This program needs new leadership blood with someone who is young and can relate to a broad level of kids. Someone has to recruit positions
IU is good but UConn should not be 4-0 to the lessor

Reaction Score
UCF lost to Lipscomb. Again, outside of football, this is a mid major league. And for whatever reason UConn who used to be at the top of the tougher Big East in numerous sports is struggling to compete in it.

Reaction Score
UCF lost to Lipscomb. Again, outside of football, this is a mid major league. And for whatever reason UConn who used to be at the top of the tougher Big East in numerous sports is struggling to compete in it.

UCF stuggled againts an average UConn team and then got beat by SMU in the American conference playoffs all at home. They were teetering on the edge.

On the bright side, the so-called 16th seed in Syracuse (7-6-4 ) got trashed by unseeded Akron (11-6-2) 3 to 1 at Colgate U in Hamilton NY. Three was too much snow on Syracuse's home field in Canada to play.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
this wasnt a good season, idc they made the tourny they arnt competitive

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That first round game against Rhody was a heck of a game.

Reaction Score
Well, UConn maybe long gone (and deservedly do) from the NCAA mens's soccer playoffs, but, I just looked at the bracket after catching glimpses of Florida St women beating UNC for the women's Cup final during commercials of the UConn v. Arizona basketball game, and smiled a bit.

The ACC sent 9 of their 12 teams (BC was thankfully 1 of 3 not to make it) to the 48-team NCAA men's D1 field, a whopping 19%, while claiming 50% of the seeds (16 total). From there, not a single team made it to the Cup semi-finals in Santa Barbara next weekend. Instead its unseeded Akron taking on 3 B1G teams by its lonesome in Indiana (#2 seed), Maryland (#12 seed), and Michigan St (unseeded). Heck, only ND (#7 seed) made it as far as the quarterfinal (losing to Indiana). That made me happy.

For those who may have an interest, in DII Barry U (#4 seed) from Miami beat West Chester U (#3) from Philadelphia in Pittsburgh 2-1. In DIII, Tufts won its 3rd NCAA DIII title in program history beating Calvin 2-1 in Greensboro.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Akron just crushed Michigan State 5 to 1. Maryland and Indiana, talk about two big names, are 0-0 about halfway through the first half.

Reaction Score
As much as the 1-11 or whatever puts Edsall in the hole ... Ray Reid should have been canned a few years ago and that is the biggest WTF in the AD.

Reaction Score
As much as the 1-11 or whatever puts Edsall in the hole ... Ray Reid should have been canned a few years ago and that is the biggest WTF in the AD.
He made it difficult for the AD by donating $350K to the school. A smart move.

Reaction Score
He made it difficult for the AD by donating $350K to the school. A smart move.

Diaco donated $250k in 2016 for campus athletic facility improvements (but I get your point).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't agree with that strength of an ascertain
I am not a fan of his game plan or some of his recruitment moves but he has a winning record and awfully hard to can someone based on the record and not having personnel issues (that we are aware of)
He's a HIGHLY respected coach in soccer circles and you have to consider that in the equation
RR will leave when he choses unless there is an unexpected implosion.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with that strength of an ascertain
I am not a fan of his game plan or some of his recruitment moves but he has a winning record and awfully hard to can someone based on the record and not having personnel issues (that we are aware of)
He's a HIGHLY respected coach in soccer circles and you have to consider that in the equation
RR will leave when he choses unless there is an unexpected implosion.

We regularly competed for National Championships. We were the best Program in the Northeast. Ray Reid has led us to ... a Lesser Program. And I believe his energy level is far less than 15 years ago. We can be a National Power. We can be top in Attendance. But ... the Marrone legacy and effort - I guess - matters little to some.

Reaction Score
We regularly competed for National Championships. We were the best Program in the Northeast. Ray Reid has led us to ... a Lesser Program. And I believe his energy level is far less than 15 years ago. We can be a National Power. We can be top in Attendance. But ... the Marrone legacy and effort - I guess - matters little to some.

If you care about the Morrone legacy, it might be nice to spell his name right.

Reaction Score
If you care about the Morrone legacy, it might be nice to spell his name right.

a tisket a tasket ... how soon it becomes hard to remember when you pass another decade mark.

I lived next to the MORRONE house ... and watched the youngsters grow up. I am amazed at what that guy accomplished - not just at UConn. It is for that reason, we should be damn angry to have lower expectations ... considering where RR first stepped in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom