UConn and Iowa Post Game Press Conference. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn and Iowa Post Game Press Conference.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Geno's arrogance is right up there with the best of them. Same with most big time college coaches in the big sports. It is no wonder Geno and Jim Calhoun basically never talked to each other.
Other posters such as @UcMiami and @oldude defended Bluder in an empirical way, responding to the specifics of the situation. Your sweeping generalizations fail to account for at least four characteristics of Auriemma that are atypical of arrogance.

1. He is flexible, always adapting his approach from year to year to his roster.
2. He deflects the credit for his success to his players.
3. He gives abundant responsibility and praise to his associates. I doubt Dailey would have lasted this long if he was truly arrogant.
4. He often admits he made a mistake.

Your counter evidence that he and Calhoun did not talk is a bit underwhelming. Your generalization that places Auriemma's arrogance with other coaches may or may not be true, I do not know a sufficient sample size of other coaches well enough to judge. While confidence is a must for any successful endeavor, actual arrogance is a handicap in overtly social endeavors, including coaching. I doubt the veracity of your statement.

However, I trust you know yourself well enough. If you possess the traits of flexibility, deflection of credit, easily relinquishing responsibility (personally a tough one for me), and admitting to your faults and you still think of yourself as arrogant then that justifies where you are coming from. Even so, your sweeping generalization lacks merit as a standalone and it certainly provides no adequate explanation or defense for Bluder.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
One definite a while back was Duke coming back in 2004 to snap our home win streak. We melted down against the press and after DT broke a tie with a jumper, we lost on a 3 at the buzzer.
It was those silver uniforms. First and last time they wore them.

Reaction Score
Geno's arrogance is right up there with the best of them. Same with most big time college coaches in the big sports. It is no wonder Geno and Jim Calhoun basically never talked to each other.
Coaches protect their players. If you ever met Geno you would know he is not arrogant just at times frustrated with the media questions. I am sure this was the case with Lisa Bluder I don't believe she was arrogant just disappointed for her team after a game that the media just had to dial up the pressue for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom