Men - UConn and 2021 MLB Draft | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Men UConn and 2021 MLB Draft

Reaction Score
Kellington and Marrero were unexpected, with where both were taken I'd guess neither are at UConn next year

Reaction Score
Wow. Was not expecting to lose Marerro for next year. Again, this is a potential over performance pick.
Be interesting to see if he actually signs this year or bets on himself and comes back to showcase in the closer role… Crawford can only get so many innings.

I did not expect Marrero to get picked either, but I think he is in an interesting position. Under normal non pandemic circumstances, he would still have two years of eligibility left at UConn. A goodly number of Juniors who get picked in the draft end up going pro because they know that as a Senior, they no longer have the bargaining power to haggle over bonus money and such. However, being a Sophomore academically, if Marrero is not happy about the bonus money he is offered, he would still retain some bargaining power should he return to UConn and get drafted again next season, as he can waive the stick of being able to come back two more years, and possibly get drafted after each of those seasons. If Marrero rises to his potential next season, he could definitely rise in the draft as well, and he could be looking at a lot more bonus money.

Whatever the case, I'm not about to predict if Marrero is back in Storrs next fall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm in Vermont this week. Kellington pitching in a summer league game and getting drafted were the lead sports story back to back nights on a local 11:00 news. Talk about a small market.

Don't know enough to bother predicting these things, but I'd love to see him in a Husky uniform, and Marrero back for another year.

Reaction Score
Gonna be interesting to see what Marrero does. Do y’all think Wurster signs?

Reaction Score
Yes. I believe he got his degree, and he has been at UConn for four years. His bargaining power is not likely to improve at all by staying an extra year.
Oh I thought Wurster was a Junior. The Covid year really messes up things for me in terms of what year a player is, thank you. Glad Wurster and these others guys are getting a shot!

Reaction Score
Oh I thought Wurster was a Junior. The Covid year really messes up things for me in terms of what year a player is, thank you. Glad Wurster and these others guys are getting a shot!

Wurster was redshirted his freshman year, the 2018 season. After that, there is the often told tale of Wurster being told by Coach Penders that he was the 36th man on a 35 man roster prior to the 2019 season. As a result Wurster changed his delivery, and for that matter, his career at UConn.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Regarding Wurster- if he comes back as a starter and does well- he could get into the 2nd day and then could have some wiggle on a signing bonus?

Reaction Score
Man this is making me all bittersweet - proud of them though and hope these boys break it big into the majors!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

From the UConn baseball website, a full list of UConn players taken during Coach Penders tenure up through 2019. Does not include the players taken in this most recent MLB draft or for that matter, Nick Krauth, who was signed as a free agent after the shortened to 5 round 2020 MLB draft. Just wish that we had the opportunity to see a full uninterrupted season of Krauth as a Husky, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regarding Wurster- if he comes back as a starter and does well- he could get into the 2nd day and then could have some wiggle on a signing bonus?

It's always possible that the Marlins might convert Wurster to being a starter on their own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Be interesting to see if he actually signs this year or bets on himself and comes back to showcase in the closer role… Crawford can only get so many innings.
Guess ya take the sure thing…

-> Andrew Marrero is officially a Cardinal. Marrero, the New Haven product who just finished his sophomore season at UConn, will sign with the St. Louis Cardinals, who selected him in the 18th round of the MLB Draft on Tuesday. “I’m super-excited,” Marrero said by phone on Wednesday. “I still can’t believe it.”

Marrero, a Wilbur Cross graduate, will head down to the Cardinals’ spring training complex in Jupiter, Florida on Friday to begin his professional career. <-

-> Marrero said he was expecting Arizona to select him. But when that fell through, he got a call from his advisor/agent, Brian Charles, that the Cardinals were interested. “I got super-happy,” he said. “I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m so down for that amount (of money) and I really want to go with them.’”

Marrero, who was the draft’s 541st pick overall, wouldn’t reveal the signing bonus he’ll receive from the Cardinals, but did note that he’ll get a fair chance with the organization.

“It came down to basically knowing I could move up a lot quicker than I thought,” he said. “The organization is a really great organization, and I know that it has a lot of great pitchers and players. I know that they’re going to give me the opportunity I need.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom