Men - UConn and 2021 MLB Draft | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Men UConn and 2021 MLB Draft

Reaction Score
Yay Ben! Last pick of the fifth round to the Dodgers.

More than happy to see him go, but the unexpected ones (Kellington) sting a bit

I've said it before, but I expect your star junior players to get picked in the draft and go pro. It is a sign that your team is on the right track as far as being a quality college team. It used to bother me when I first started following UConn baseball until I got that one piece of college baseball fact of life figured out.

Reaction Score
According to MLB.com his slot is $571K. If he goes to UConn and excels- he can make a heck of a lot more than that.....
On the surface, seems like a lot of money but AFTER taxes, it's likely $300K.
I doubt they would also pay for 4 years of college in his deal offer. However, I might be wrong.
Seems likely we'll lose him, but definitely not a certainty.
I was REALLY HOPING we get him on campus.

Reaction Score
On the surface, seems like a lot of money but AFTER taxes, it's likely $300K.
I doubt they would also pay for 4 years of college in his deal offer. However, I might be wrong.
Seems likely we'll lose him, but definitely not a certainty.
I was REALLY HOPING we get him on campus.
I think its been a requirement for maybe the past 15 or so years that college tuition is automatically included for HS kids in addition to signing bonus.

Reaction Score
Anyone surprised that Kyler didn't go in the first 10 rounds?
Mildly surprised. There was a lot of talk about him not having the speed for CF or the power for a corner OF, but I still think he'd be a much better pick than the majority of guys taken in the later rounds today

Reaction Score
I have a feeling the Sox take him in the 11th or 12th. Hes got that Pedroia attitude

Reaction Score
I think its been a requirement for maybe the past 15 or so years that college tuition is automatically included for HS kids in addition to signing bonus.

No. MLB has a program called the Continuing Education Program, which can be included as part of the contract negotiation, but it is not mandatory. It covers almost all undergraduate college costs for a ten-year period after the player signs. The value of this program does not count towards the value of the player’s contract relative to the salary pool.

Reaction Score
Anyone surprised that Kyler didn't go in the first 10 rounds?
I mean I’m not a scout but in general I’m not surprised. To me it’s more about how you project going forward. I think a good UConn example is Yahn. He was a great college player but didn’t jump out as a legit major league talent which is why he went in the 25th round.

Dont get me wrong, I’m ecstatic he’s made it to AAA but I wouldn’t have bet on it based on his size and lack of power.

Reaction Score
I knew Owen Kellington was highly regarded, but I wasn't expecting that he would go this high.
Nathan Rode @ D1Baseball:

-> Lastly, RHP Owen Kellington (U-32 HS, VT) was a major riser this spring, sitting 90-92 and showing advanced feel for secondary stuff. If he were to make it to Connecticut, it’d be easy to project him as a future first-round prospect. <-

Reaction Score
Thank You. I didn't know that it was required.

Great to know. Definitely the right thing to do.

I'm curious, is it a fixed amount or is it enough to go for 4 years w/ room and board at any school you want. That could easily be $300,000 for 4 years at some schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom