UCONN All Time Line-ups. | The Boneyard

UCONN All Time Line-ups.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Based on the votes for positions, (and I'm a bit disappointed in the turnout - guess that's typical of American's and voting) here are your Lineups.

Staring Line Up
PG - Sue Bird/Moriah Jefferson (they tied)
SG - Diana Taurasi
W/SF - Maya Moore
PF - Breanna Stewar
C - Tina Charles

2nd String
PG - Sue Bird/Moriah Jefferson
SG - Nykesha Sales
W/SF - Svetlana Abrosimova
PF - Rebecca Lobo
C - Kara Wolters

3rd String
PG - Jennifer Rizzotti
SG - Shea Ralph
W/SF - Katie Lou Samuelson
PF - Kerry Bascom
C - Stefanie Dolson

So there you go. Well done.

Reaction Score
Based on the votes for positions, (and I'm a bit disappointed in the turnout - guess that's typical of American's and voting) here are your Lineups.

Staring Line Up
SG - Diana Taurasi
W/SF - Maya Moore
PF - Breanna Stewar
C - Tina Charles

2nd String
SG - Nykesha Sales
PF - Rebecca Lobo
C - Kara Wolters

3rd String
PG - Jennifer Rizzotti
SG - Shea Ralph
PF - Kerry Bascom
C - Stefanie Dolson

Sounds just about right to me.
If KLS has a big senior year as I believe she will, think her and Svet might change places.
Other than that, I'm in agreement!
Bronx23

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hey Meyers... just wanted to say thanks for doing this. I'm sure it felt like a thankless task especially given some of the participation level, but it was a cool exercise and I am glad you slogged thru and finished. Gold star for you! :)

Reaction Score

Staring Line Up
SG - Diana Taurasi
W/SF - Maya Moore
PF - Breanna Stewar
C - Tina Charles

2nd String
SG - Nykesha Sales
PF - Rebecca Lobo
C - Kara Wolters

3rd String
PG - Jennifer Rizzotti
SG - Shea Ralph
PF - Kerry Bascom
C - Stefanie Dolson

Thanks!

Reaction Score

Staring Line Up
SG - Diana Taurasi
W/SF - Maya Moore
PF - Breanna Stewar
C - Tina Charles

2nd String
SG - Nykesha Sales
PF - Rebecca Lobo
C - Kara Wolters

3rd String
PG - Jennifer Rizzotti
SG - Shea Ralph
PF - Kerry Bascom
C - Stefanie Dolson

Love the list, but I would put KML 3rd String W/SF over KLS. KML hit clutch shots and had that killer instinct. Could score in every way.

Reaction Score
Love the list, but I would put KML 3rd String W/SF over KLS. KML hit clutch shots and had that killer instinct. Could score in every way.
Your point is well taken about KML!
KLS still has her senior year to either develop or prove she has that killer instinct.
What she does have is guts, heart and commitment to her team that's hard to match. She played a whole half in a national semi-final as a freshman with a broken foot. She played almost all her junior year with serious foot and ankle injuries that required surgery immediately after the season. AND she was voted and most likely still was the 2nd best player in the country. Not sure you can say that about too many others.
While her recovery may slow her working on the areas of her game that still need improvement, those characteristics mentioned above, will enable her to excel.
Also these comparisons except for the very few all time greats are discussing very minor differences in abilities. Kudos to both and all on the lists and the next choices they didn't quite make it.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I would say the first team and 4 of the 5 on the second team are spot on, have no issue with the rest. Thank you for your posts and brining up some great memories. Sorry you didn't get more participation.

I'm a fan of the game, which of course has the fingerprints of the Huskies all over it. With the exception of Bascom I remember watching all of these players vividly (not over the course of a whole season, but usually in the big games with UT and in the FF). Some of these are the finest to ever play the game.

Reaction Score
Your point is well taken about KML!
KLS still has her senior year to either develop or prove she has that killer instinct.
What she does have is guts, heart and commitment to her team that's hard to match. She played a whole half in a national semi-final as a freshman with a broken foot. She played almost all her junior year with serious foot and ankle injuries that required surgery immediately after the season. AND she was voted and most likely still was the 2nd best player in the country. Not sure you can say that about too many others.
While her recovery may slow her working on the areas of her game that still need improvement, those characteristics mentioned above, will enable her to excel.
Also these comparisons except for the very few all time greats are discussing very minor differences in abilities. Kudos to both and all on the lists and the next choices they didn't quite make it.
Bronx23
I believe KLS has that killer instinct. But she needs to prove me right and use it to lead the team to an NC this year in order to be considered among the greats.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

I was not going to respond to this, but after it became echoed I'm scratching my head. It seems you are using a definition of "clutch" or "killer instinct" that is quite liberal and satisfied by many Huskies, including KLS. KLS has been involved in two overtime losses. In both cases she did not have the ball much towards the end and that can be viewed as lacking a killer instinct I suppose.

KML was involved in many more losses, several to Notre Dame and one to Stanford. She may have had the ball in her hands more towards the end but she, in fact, missed crucial shots a couple of times in those losses (also, didn't she make a costly turnover one of those times?). To me that's a bigger strike against a killer instinct or being clutch. Both have hit big shots with say five minutes left (as have other Huskies), but I would define clutch as hitting a shot with one minute or less and a lead of five points or less (or a deficit). Has KML ever delivered with that time and lead constraint? It's a serious question; I honestly can't remember such a time. How did this killer instinct narrative get started?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What still amazes me in regard to Sveta is that 2000-01 season when she played a total of 19 games and still made first team AA from both the writers and coaches and second team from the AP.

Don't know if there has ever been a player injured that early in a season and make first team.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Staring Line Up
PG - Sue Bird
SG - Diana Taurasi
W/SF - Maya Moore
PF - Breanna Stewar
C - Tina Charles

Some perspective, as to the five players listed above:

-- THREE of these players are in the running for best player of all time by the time their respective careers have finished (when you consider high school, college, and professional careers and accomplishments).

-- Of the two players who are not on the short list for best player of all time, one is a 10X WNBA All-Star, 5X All-WNBA First Team member, 3X All-WNBA Second Team member, all-time WNBA career assists leader, won two national titles in college, won the inaugural Nancy Lieberman Award, and also has 4 Olympic gold medals and 3 World Championship gold medals.

-- The final player was a WNBA MVP, WNBA Rookie of the Year, 5X WNBA All-Star, 5X All-WNBA First Team member, 3X All-WNBA Second Team member, 2X WNBA All-Defensive First Team, 2X WNBA All-Defensive Second Team, has lead the WNBA in rebounding 4 times, has led the WNBA in scoring 1 season, won 2 NCAA titles, won the John Wooden Award, holds the UConn career record for rebounds, won almost every high school POY award (WBCA NPOY, USA Today NPOY, McDonald's NPOY, Gatorade NPOY), and also has 2 Olympic gold medals and 2 World Championship gold medals.

In other words, each of the two players not on the short list for GOAT/BPOAT would be the best player in the history of 99 percent of other women's basketball programs, given their OUTSTANDING resumes. At UConn, they are not even in the top five.

Perspective. Appreciate greatness.

Reaction Score
We truly are spoiled by the incredible wealth of talent that has played at UConn. I'm glad I became a fan of this program!! :):cool:

Reaction Score
Lou needs to PLAY in a NC game!
Lou needs to have a few huge games in either the regional finals and / or the national semi-finals to get U Conn to a possible NC.
I love her game, attitude improvement and on and on. But she hasn't show the willingness to take over in huge moments, yet still playing within the team concept.
In this past years semi-final loss, I fully get her being tentative defensively trying to avoid getting her fifth foul. But she also didn't even attempt to make any strong offensive moves. Whether that be her injury or her tentativeness just mentioned above, then she should have sat.
Obviously Geno loves her attitude, game and importance to the team which are all well deserved and earned. If she's fully healthy I think we will see the best player in the country BUT she needs to do it!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I was not going to respond to this, but after it became echoed I'm scratching my head. It seems you are using a definition of "clutch" or "killer instinct" that is quite liberal and satisfied by many Huskies, including KLS. KLS has been involved in two overtime losses. In both cases she did not have the ball much towards the end and that can be viewed as lacking a killer instinct I suppose.

KML was involved in many more losses, several to Notre Dame and one to Stanford. She may have had the ball in her hands more towards the end but she, in fact, missed crucial shots a couple of times in those losses (also, didn't she make a costly turnover one of those times?). To me that's a bigger strike against a killer instinct or being clutch. Both have hit big shots with say five minutes left (as have other Huskies), but I would define clutch as hitting a shot with one minute or less and a lead of five points or less (or a deficit). Has KML ever delivered with that time and lead constraint? It's a serious question; I honestly can't remember such a time. How did this killer instinct narrative get started?
Well, for one, I remember a close game against ND, I was scared to death. I believe ND had the momentum. UConn was on the break, MJ passed to KML, who shrugged off a defender, as if to say, “get off of me”, the defender fell and KML buried a jumper, game over. To me, KML could beat you in so many ways. She could post up, she had a mid-range jumper, she could drive the ball and finish through contact. Clutch to me means hitting a momentum changing or game winning basket when your team needs it. KML had that killer instinct. I think she was a very underrated scorer. I love KLS, but for all her talent, no titles the last two years. She had the chance for greatness, but fell short. I wanted to see her take over with the game on the line but it didn’t happen. I want KLS to be unstoppable, to strike fear in opponents, I want her to be like the UConn greats. Not many UConn greats without titles. Sorry for rambling, that’s just the way I feel.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but I can't get my motor moving for these kinds of discussions. I like reading them, but mixing and matching my greats across time and circumstance ... nah. I love them all in their own time and place.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Well, for one, I remember a close game against ND, I was scared to death. I believe ND had the momentum. UConn was on the break, MJ passed to KML, who shrugged off a defender, as if to say, “get off of me”, the defender fell and KML buried a jumper, game over. To me, KML could beat you in so many ways. She could post up, she had a mid-range jumper, she could drive the ball and finish through contact. Clutch to me means hitting a momentum changing or game winning basket when your team needs it. KML had that killer instinct. I think she was a very underrated scorer. I love KLS, but for all her talent, no titles the last two years. She had the chance for greatness, but fell short. I wanted to see her take over with the game on the line but it didn’t happen. I want KLS to be unstoppable, to strike fear in opponents, I want her to be like the UConn greats. Not many UConn greats without titles. Sorry for rambling, that’s just the way I feel.

I appreciate your reply, thanks, though my direct question (under a minute, 5 points or less) remains. On every championship run KML was on she had 2-3 of the other players on that all-time greats list as equal or more crucial parts of the offense (Dolson or Jefferson as facilitators, Stewart as unstoppable). Her sophomore year, Stewart's freshman, it was Stewart that got the Notre Dame monkey off our back, not KML. And none of the games in any of those championship runs were nail-biters for more than a half (except for a few of the most apprehensive BYers).

However, I totally agree with you that KML could score from anywhere and that was underappreciated. Of course, KLS can score from anywhere as well, all the ways that you mentioned for KML, but that seems to be recognized and appreciated more without having to be asserted. Still, if you wanted to put KML above KLS because you thought KML's offense was better that would have been less of a head-scratcher to me than asserting there is proof of KML having a better killer instinct than KLS, when her championship success always came as the #2 option at best in games comfortably won, and she failed a couple times as the #1 option with the ball in her hands in end game situations. A killer instinct or being clutch in the end game remains to be seen for either.

Reaction Score
What still amazes me in regard to Sveta is that 2000-01 season when she played a total of 19 games and still made first team AA from both the writers and coaches and second team from the AP.

Don't know if there has ever been a player injured that early in a season and make first team.
In the same season (2001) Tamika Catchings lasted only 17 games and also made first team AA.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your reply, thanks, though my direct question (under a minute, 5 points or less) remains. On every championship run KML was on she had 2-3 of the other players on that all-time greats list as equal or more crucial parts of the offense (Dolson or Jefferson as facilitators, Stewart as unstoppable). Her sophomore year, Stewart's freshman, it was Stewart that got the Notre Dame monkey off our back, not KML. And none of the games in any of those championship runs were nail-biters for more than a half (except for a few of the most apprehensive BYers).

However, I totally agree with you that KML could score from anywhere and that was underappreciated. Of course, KLS can score from anywhere as well, all the ways that you mentioned for KML, but that seems to be recognized and appreciated more without having to be asserted. Still, if you wanted to put KML above KLS because you thought KML's offense was better that would have been less of a head-scratcher to me than asserting there is proof of KML having a better killer instinct than KLS, when her championship success always came as the #2 option at best in games comfortably won, and she failed a couple times as the #1 option with the ball in her hands in end game situations. A killer instinct or being clutch in the end game remains to be seen for either.
2015 NC game against ND, lead down to six, just under 5 min left, KML buries a three, next possession fakes the three, pulls up for a sweet jumper, game over. KML also drew 2 defenders opening up drives for MJ. When called upon she answered the call. That was against a supremely talented ND team, unlike the teams we lost against the last 2 years. KLS just didn’t get it done. Three AA’s should mean NC, we didn’t even make the finals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom