UConn All-time leader in free throw percentage | The Boneyard

UConn All-time leader in free throw percentage

Poe

Reaction Score
Previous record holder was Albert Mouring at 84.2%, over 4 years instead of 2.

Reaction Score
this along with his FT% this season alone validates how much at ease I felt when he was shooting FTs. The other players on UConn were good FT shooters as well (AJax was okay), but I was always thinking they could miss-with Hawk the thought never entered my mind.

Reaction Score
Hawkins at 87.2%

I guess I'm a little surprised by this. Didn't Christian Vital finish the 2019-2020 season shooting 88.9% from the line?
Vital was an icer (Bill Simmons term) as well. I was at the game against Houston on March 5, 2020 (week before COVID lockdown) when Quentin Grimes on Houston was hitting all those shots at the end to leave a little hope for Houston to comeback and win. Vital iced the game though as he didn't miss any FTs.

Reaction Score
Vital was an icer (Bill Simmons term) as well. I was at the game against Houston on March 5, 2020 (week before COVID lockdown) when Quentin Grimes on Houston was hitting all those shots at the end to leave a little hope for Houston to comeback and win. Vital iced the game though as he didn't miss any FTs.
Vital who hadn’t played much up to that point as a freshman. Iced Cuse with two clutch FT ‘s at MSG. Anyone who beats Syracuse is instantly a UConn legend .
He was a gamer .

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Page 122 of media guide.

Screenshot_20230429_074008.jpg

Reaction Score
Page 122 of media guide.

View attachment 87867
This list confuses me. Jalen Adams on it twice, Asterisk indicating Jalen had 61 games vacated? I don't recall anything about that. Then an 84.3% reference which would have put him first on the list prior to Hawkins, yet his 2 listings on the list are 84.0% and 82.4%. Anybody understand enough to clarify?

Poe

Reaction Score
This list confuses me. Jalen Adams on it twice, Asterisk indicating Jalen had 61 games vacated? I don't recall anything about that. Then an 84.3% reference which would have put him first on the list prior to Hawkins, yet his 2 listings on the list are 84.0% and 82.4%. Anybody understand enough to clarify?

I didn’t know this either, looks like a couple of seasons never happened due ineligible players under Ollie!
UConn violations under Kevin Ollie reflected in program’s record book

Reaction Score
Chin’s screenshot cuts off the seasons, so the first inclusion of Jalen Adams was after his first two years at UConn. The second listing of him is accurate, with the asterisk to note what his official NCAA stats are because of the vacated games.

97F6A61E-5A16-4753-954A-79338708810C.jpeg

The vacated games are part of the reason why Ollie was fired:

Adams, it turns out, was an ineligible player for all but one game in those two seasons. He and a pair of teammates, Terry Larrier and Rodney Purvis, had undergone workouts with Derrick Hamilton, a trainer and close friend of then-UConn coach Kevin Ollie, in Atlanta during the summer of 2016. Those workouts were among the reasons Ollie was fired in March, 2018, with cause, and the NCAA ultimately sided with UConn’s decision.

Also, Niels’s stats are outdated as they only include his FR to JR years. He was 120/152 (.789) for his career.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Surprised Wes B wasn't a bit higher. On his required Freshmen team his FT % was well over 90 %, insane. He once had a varsity streak of makes into the mid 30s.

ETA. Checked his stats. His soph year was his worst at just under 80% on about. 4 per game. His attempts per game went up every year and so did his %. His senior year it was almost 7 per game and about 86%. No shot clock so fouling at the end of games was a bit different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Earl Kelley second only to Shabazz in sheer number of attempts. Rip a close third. Those men went to the line a lot!
It would be great to see Earl's second half stats versus the first half. He always seemed to be less interested and not as focused in the first half of games......BUT, second half, if he was shooting FT's late in the game he rarely, if ever, missed.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
It would be great to see Earl's second half stats versus the first half. He always seemed to be less interested and not as focused in the first half of games......BUT, second half, if he was shooting FT's late in the game he rarely, if ever, missed.
All too true. I've always wondered how good Earl could have been playing for any other coach than Perno, who let him get away with everything...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was surprised not to see Bobby Dulin's name since I recalled his being money senior year. Turns out that senior year, 92% only missing one in BE play, was the outlier.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember being at UMass in person when Kelley gets the ball up 3 with 2 seconds left, He doesn't even dribble and gets called for walking. UMass sinks the prayer at the buzzer and steamrolls us in OT. Perno should have been shown the door with Kelley.

Reaction Score
Earl Kelley second only to Shabazz in sheer number of attempts. Rip a close third. Those men went to the line a lot!
Kemba is not on the list 78% career 81.5% in 2011 but he probably got to the line more than anyone in UConn history.
He got to the line 640 times made 501 very simalar to SB but
Bazz played 4 years Kemba 3

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
All too true. I've always wondered how good Earl could have been playing for any other coach than Perno, who let him get away with everything...
Kelley wasn't much of a fan of rules. He would have bolted if he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted when he wanted. No question on his talent but there was a reason he was still available a month after the NCAA tournament ended in his senior year in HS. Many top coaches didn't want to touch him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I remember being at UMass in person when Kelley gets the ball up 3 with 2 seconds left, He doesn't even dribble and gets called for walking. UMass sinks the prayer at the buzzer and steamrolls us in OT. Perno should have been shown the door with Kelley.

Was there a 3 point shot back then or was it a shot and a foul at the buzzer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom