UConn Admissions Question | The Boneyard

UConn Admissions Question

Reaction Score
UConn Alum here.

An out of state student applicant gets wait-listed.

What are the odds of getting in?

Is there any way to enhance his/her chances of admission?

Is there a drop dead date for wait listed, or does it continue until the start of the fall semester

Reaction Score
Best chance might be going to one of the satellite campuses for a year and transferring to the main campus the following year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Best chance might be going to one of the satellite campuses for a year and transferring to the main campus the following year.
I'm pretty sure none of the branches offer on-campus housing, so it would be very expensive as an out-of-state, off campus freshman.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn Alum here.

An out of state student applicant gets wait-listed.

What are the odds of getting in?

Is there any way to enhance his/her chances of admission?

Is there a drop dead date for wait listed, or does it continue until the start of the fall semester

For your friend....

1) Impossible to say. Truly. A few years ago, 80% of the students on the waiting list were offered spots. It could be 80% this year. It could be 10%.

2) Tell them you know me.

3) You'll likely where you stand sometime in late May or early June. You will absolutely know where you stand by August 1st.

Don't go to a satellite campus as an out-of-stater. Go to a state school wherever the heck you are and transfer in if UConn is really where you want to be.

Wait list story....the daughter of a friend was accepted by Connecticut College, but waitlisted by UConn. That is a very different scenario than existed when I went to school.

Wait list story II....my brother, back in oldey times, was unpacking at Boston University when another school called and offered him a spot off their waiting list. They offered to pack up his room at BU and pay expenses if he drove over to their admissions department and enrolled.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure none of the branches offer on-campus housing, so it would be very expensive as an out-of-state, off campus freshman.

Estimated yearly expenses per uconn

$47344 main campus out of state includes meal plan and housing

$32866 regional campus with no housing or meals

I think for $14k you can easily find housing and feed yourself for 12 months.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Estimated yearly expenses per uconn

$47344 main campus out of state includes meal plan and housing

$32866 regional campus with no housing or meals

I think for $14k you can easily find housing and feed yourself for 12 months.

But why would you want to spend $33,000 to attend a commuter school?

Horrendous advice.

Stay home. Transfer from there.

Reaction Score
But why would you want to spend $33,000 to attend a commuter school?

Horrendous advice.

Stay home. Transfer from there.

It's easier to transfer to main campus from a regional school than from going to another school since you are already accepted to uconn. Your freshman year you are taking gen ed requirements so how is that horrendous advice when it's classes that are to fulfill undergrad requirements.

I know of numerous people who went this route and worked out fine. 2 got into business school, 1 into engineering and 2 others into the nursing program

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's easier to transfer to main campus from a regional school than from going to another school since you are already accepted to uconn. Your freshman year you are taking gen ed requirements so how is that horrendous advice when it's classes that are to fulfill undergrad requirements.

I know of numerous people who went this route and worked out fine. 2 got into business school, 1 into engineering and 2 others into the nursing program

If you're in-state, fine.

If you're out of state, you're throwing money in a hole to attend a junior college.

What kind of parent would do that math and encourage their high school senior to sign on for a year at regional campus in a different state with no dorms, no structure and no meals. Insanity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom