UConn AD stares down future in American | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn AD stares down future in American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
zl,
Sadly you're right, but the reason that is true is pretty simple. UConn is a "basketball school" and is perceived to be weak in football. And it can't be compared with other basketball schools like Duke, UNC, or Kansas or Indiana or Kentucky who had the good fortune or luck to have been in conferences which ultimately became power conferences. Indeed, our basketball success and their football struggles subtly works against us, I believe. it isn't that unusual to hear comparisons to Duke or one of those other programs that win basketball titles but barely register on the football field most of the time and I honestly believe that is a perception that has contributed to holding us back in conference re-alignment. There is a commonly held idea that good football schools can become good at basketball but the converse won't happen. Duke, North Carolina, Indiana and Kentucky have done little to change that perception in recent years. heck, Carolina even cheated and still couldn't get over the hump, so maybe it is true.

Reaction Score
You can call me psycho, I don't care.

A B1G invite is there for the taking. It's up to us what we want to make of ourselves. We can sit and mope and cry about Tulane. Tulane is still academically superior. Or we can be warriors and support the damn school. This is about the future, not now. The state is doing it's part, we have to do our part. Buy a season ticket for a sport or two or three. UConn families are a reality now, where whole families went to or go to UConn. You have to keep in mind private schools dominated the northeast for so long. That has obviously changed in Connecticut. Forget URI or UMass.

It's entirely up to us. They want to see us attend our games. Us attending our games will make us more enticing to recruits. Stop crying about the football team. If we're on the B1G's radar with what we have, we have no reason to really complain about the football program except for the play-calling.

I've seen enough to say confidently the B1G is monitoring us. Whether we want to go to the B1G or not is up to us. Cannot say it enough. Screw the ACC. We need to secure the future of Connecticut. This is our chance. I intend to be a season ticket holder in some capacity for as long as I can be. I hope the rest decide to do the same. B1G or bust.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

A B1G invite is there for the taking. It's up to us what we want to make of ourselves. We can sit and mope and cry about Tulane. Tulane is still academically superior. Or we can be warriors and support the damn school. This is about the future, not now. The state is doing it's part, we have to do our part. Buy a season ticket for a sport or two or three. UConn families are a reality now, where whole families went to or go to UConn. You have to keep in mind private schools dominated the northeast for so long. That has obviously changed in Connecticut. Forget URI or UMass.

It's entirely up to us. They want to see us attend our games. Us attending our games will make us more enticing to recruits. Stop crying about the football team. If we're on the B1G's radar with what we have, we have no reason to really complain about the football program except for the play-calling.

I've seen enough to say confidently the B1G is monitoring us. Whether we want to go to the B1G or not is up to us. Cannot say it enough. Screw the ACC. We need to secure the future of Connecticut. This is our chance. I intend to be a season ticket holder in some capacity for as long as I can be. I hope the rest decide to do the same. B1G or bust.

Buddy I can support UConn and point out that Tulane sucks. I'm not going to tapings of as schools match wits, I'm going to football and basketball games.

They barely have a radio outlet and played a football game in front 2k people. You can't make up a school that is athletically more worthless than Tulane. Any FBS school randomly drawn from a hat would be a better addition.

You've decided UConn is some legitimate target for the Big 10 based on message board blather - 99% of which happens on this board because the concept of UConn going to the Big 10 exists almost nowhere but here.

Reaction Score
You've decided UConn is some legitimate target for the Big 10 based on message board blather - 99% of which happens on this board because the concept of UConn going to the Big 10 exists almost nowhere but here.
Buddy I use highly-positioned media sources as guidance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Buddy I use highly-positioned media sources as guidance.

LOL. You mean you take random comments from stories and have twisted them into a narrative.

A: if the damn big 10 wanted UConn they wouldn't let them die on the vine in the AAC

B: there is no team number 16. Not a single school exists even if they wanted UConn to get even.

Reaction Score
LOL. You mean you take random comments from stories and have twisted them into a narrative.

A: if the damn big 10 wanted UConn they wouldn't let them die on the vine in the AAC

B: there is no team number 16. Not a single school exists even if they wanted UConn to get even.
I know there's no easy #16. :rolleyes:

Still has been said by people associated with the B1G that UConn is desirable. Yes, I am making up my own story.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I know there's no easy #16. :rolleyes:

Still has been said by people associated with the B1G that UConn is desirable. Yes, I am making up my own story.

Maybe its because these people see how passionate you are about UConn and they don't want to hurt your feelings?

Reaction Score
Maybe its because these people see how passionate you are about UConn and they don't want to hurt your feelings?
I don't live and die athletics or my alma mater. But do I want better for my community. Only one person talked to me directly and he said, nice school but can't say definite yes, but hey, you never know. Rest are printed media.

Reaction Score
If B1G fans have empathy for a visitor, we're certainly not ready tor the B1G.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

@Butch,its tough for me to understand how other's don't see it as we do?All the sign's are there!! We're next (UConn) is so obvious to me as even an RU fan!!1 move is all it's gonna take and the B1G ain't gonna let the ACC take the last valuable piece to the NE lockdown!!I can even see Temple as a future ACC type school if they continue upgrading their profile!!That's the best the ACC will do in the NE and Temple's move is impressive and unexpected too me!!

Reaction Score
People just need to get used to the idea. We need someone to ask Herbst to talk to our former football player who's the president of Tulane and the AAU. Maybe he can help hurry things up.

Maybe, just maybe she is already talking to him.

Reaction Score
People just need to get used to the idea. We need someone to ask Herbst to talk to our former football player who's the president of Tulane and the AAU. Maybe he can help hurry things up.

Maybe, just maybe she is already talking to him.

Herbst is doing all the right things on that front.. If and when AAU status comes (and I believe it will), UConn will settle quickly into a new conference - either the B1G or the ACC. There is no one left in the NYC market with any gravitas other than UConn. As of now, however, the B1G can't take us and the ACC feels no rush because the B1G can't take us. Conference realignment has been a confounding process that has made UConn faithful bitter and resentful. But we will get taken care of at the end if Manuel pays attention. So let's hope it is the B1G - clearly the best place to be for us (and we won't have to deal with the "favored nation" status for ND).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@Butch,its tough for me to understand how other's don't see it as we do?All the sign's are there!! We're next (UConn) is so obvious to me as even an RU fan!!1 move is all it's gonna take and the B1G ain't gonna let the ACC take the last valuable piece to the NE lockdown!!I can even see Temple as a future ACC type school if they continue upgrading their profile!!That's the best the ACC will do in the NE and Temple's move is impressive and unexpected too me!!

Well Butch anytime NickyNewark agrees with you, that must mean you are on the right track. Especially when a Rutgers fan can in the same sentence tell you he's a Rutgers fan and refer to UConn as 'we'.

Viva Temple!

Reaction Score
Yes. We are most likely next. Unless there is no next. Which is a possibility. That's why everyone is freaking out. There are somewhere between 0 and a small number of seats left at the table. And we are outside peering through the glass. Hoping.

Reaction Score
Well Butch anytime NickyNewark agrees with you, that must mean you are on the right track. Especially when a Rutgers fan can in the same sentence tell you he's a Rutgers fan and refer to UConn as 'we'.

Viva Temple!
Temple really is aiming high. I think something is possible for them. Notice how most of the schools in our conference are in urban settings. UConn classifies as rural. By just 25-30 miles.

Reaction Score
People just need to get used to the idea. We need someone to ask Herbst to talk to our former football player who's the president of Tulane and the AAU. Maybe he can help hurry things up. Maybe, just maybe she is already talking to him.

Better hurry - Cowen resigned as President of Tulane Butch... leaving in a year.

Reaction Score
Phew. Guess we can all breathe easy now.
You can. I've been breathing easy all along. UConn's athletic department's potential, as well as the school's potential, is insane. Hockey going to the Hockey East already. Goes to prove we are capable and worthy of being associated with the best. I don't even want to leave the Hockey East.

We have a lot of very successful alumni and notable people teach or have taught at UConn.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You can. I've been breathing easy all along. UConn's athletic department's potential, as well as the school's potential, is insane. Hockey going to the Hockey East already. Goes to prove we are capable and worthy of being associated with the best. I don't even want to leave the Hockey East.

We have a lot of very successful alumni and notable people teach or have taught at UConn.
You always change the subject and go off on tangents.

Tulane's president isn't going to get UConn in the AAU and the Big Ten. Even if he could, he would not damage his own school's conference, and hence the school he's working for. I'm not saying AAU is not possible, I just think it'll take several more years than some here think and it's not guaranteed since we still have to compete against other universities. Be prepared for the long run, and in the long run ACC is still as likely as B1G if not more so.

Reaction Score
You always change the subject and go off on tangents.

Tulane's president isn't going to get UConn in the AAU and the Big Ten. Even if he could, he would not damage his own school's conference, and hence the school he's working for. I'm not saying AAU is not possible, I just think it'll take several more years than some here think and it's not guaranteed since we still have to compete against other universities. Be prepared for the long run, and in the long run ACC is still as likely as B1G if not more so.
I fully understand what you are saying. I am just saying I am sure our name is seeded amongst member institutions. We are not even done building the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom