UConn AD stares down future in American | The Boneyard

UConn AD stares down future in American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FYI. Article on UConn from ESPN.
"There is plenty of time to assess conference realignment's various winners and losers, and plenty of criteria by which we'll make those assessments in the weeks, months, and even years to come. It's a fluid situation, as the saying goes. But if there's one school everyone pretty much everyone can agree got a raw deal in the past two years, it's Connecticut."
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...rector-warde-manuel-stares-down-future-in-aac

Reaction Score
Looks like an editorialized rehash of the ap article.

But for once, a writer gets it:
The Huskies and their marquee basketball program spent much of the realignment fracas desperately
(if not publicly) trying to escape the collapsing Big East for the ACC.

We have been preaching that the idiotic narrative of UConn PUBLICLY lobbying for an ACC invite was the fictional creation of a bunch of lazy, herd-like journalists following a few yellow journalists openly hostile to UConn.

At least the facts are now being reported correctly.

Reaction Score
Well I'm glad Warde isn't going to stress out.

If the President gave a damn about the athletic program or it's fans she'd send him packing for saying he's 'done' looking for another conference.

Herbst probably reminds Warde to wipe front to back.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well I'm glad Warde isn't going to stress out.

If the President gave a damn about the athletic program or it's fans she'd send him packing for saying he's 'done' looking for another conference.

It would call into question her ability to assess "rock stars"...

Reaction Score
I want to believe that being the clear cut biggest loser in CR somehow means we are clear cut next in line....I really want to believe.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The majority of the blame obviously goes on Hathaway and the previous regime, but Warde has proven time and time again he actually may be even worse than Hathaway, which is fairly shocking.

Note to Warde, just stfu and say no comment.

Is it too much to ask to not be embarrassed about my school everytime our administration opens there mouths?

"Rock Star"
"Winners who win, who like winning, because we're winners who win."
" Monitoring the situation"
" Not looking to leave the AAC"
"Yes, that's a dozen glazed. Thank you..Go.AAC"

Reaction Score
Y'all are out of control with this negativity. You're everything wrong with this message board, and heck, this country. Blame blame blame. That's all you care about.

You can't accept that no amount of lobbying or brilliant AD work is going to magically make us a better football school than Louisville and therefore more attractive to FSU and Clemson. You can't accept that there's no time machine to go back and make Hathaway hire someone not named Pasqualoni or that firing him after two years doesn't exactly scream "stable football school." You can't accept that being a basketball school with an APR ban and a retiring HOF coach at the wrong time didn't work out in the cards for us. You can't accept that a great basketball school just doesn't have any power in conference realignment. You can't accept that "no comment" over and over again is just as asinine and useless as saying, "Go AAC, this is our home, we accept it."

It's the same thing anytime there's a shooting. Blame video games. Blame guns. Blame the mental health system. You can't accept that bad things sometimes happen to good people or good colleges.

It ain't fair. But the sooner you accept it and quit your nonstop whining and turning this message board into a giant asylum for every crybaby who pretends to be a fan, the sooner we can get back to rooting for our team.

Rumrunner. Whaler. Huskyfandan. ConnHuskBask. noeynox.

Seriously. You are insufferable. Annoying children and I am tired of listening to you whine. I don't really want to ignore you all because I think someday you'll stop with your kicking and screaming and join the rest of us in the new reality. But ffs. Yes, it sucks. But so what. Life sucks.

Get over it.

Reaction Score
FYI. Article on UConn from ESPN.
"There is plenty of time to assess conference realignment's various winners and losers, and plenty of criteria by which we'll make those assessments in the weeks, months, and even years to come. It's a fluid situation, as the saying goes. But if there's one school everyone pretty much everyone can agree got a raw deal in the past two years, it's Connecticut."
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...rector-warde-manuel-stares-down-future-in-aac

As we all know, ESPN played a major role in keeping UConn down, as we previously saw quotes from the former BC AD. However, our AD may have inherited a bad situation, but "rock stars" should be able to correct such. He was unfortunately asleep at the wheel. UConn athletics will be forever tarnished by this man and since into irrelevancy in two years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
My interpretation: UCONN is the biggest loser in CR so, if we follow the 3-5 year timeline to AAU status, consistent bowl appearances, and reestablishing MBB as dominant post Calhoun and APR, we will find a more attractive home when the CR music starts back up again.

All we can do as fans is continue to support, buy up the new merchandise, and root for kids who come to our school because they love UCONN as much as we do. I am fired up for 2013 football and showing these power-5 schools coming to our home that we can and will beat them.

Reaction Score
Y'all are out of control with this negativity. You're everything wrong with this message board, and heck, this country. Blame blame blame. That's all you care about.

You can't accept that no amount of lobbying or brilliant AD work is going to magically make us a better football school than Louisville and therefore more attractive to FSU and Clemson. You can't accept that there's no time machine to go back and make Hathaway hire someone not named Pasqualoni or that firing him after two years doesn't exactly scream "stable football school." You can't accept that being a basketball school with an APR ban and a retiring HOF coach at the wrong time didn't work out in the cards for us. You can't accept that a great basketball school just doesn't have any power in conference realignment. You can't accept that "no comment" over and over again is just as asinine and useless as saying, "Go AAC, this is our home, we accept it."
I agree with the tone of your post as I'm a pretty optimistic guy.
I do think that Mentioning JC's retirement and the APR ban in one sentence and saying BB played no role in CR are contradict each other. Both statements can't be true.
As optimist I think the former is true and the latter false.
My example: 2013-2014 UConn men win the National Championship.
4 NS put us in the legendary BB realm removing the stigma of one coach wonder team forever. This makes us special
Concomitant with that the football team exhibits a pulse.
The perceception of our football team is Directlly proportional to BB success*
*AZHuskies first law of perception.
We will become a palatable football addition to any conference.
The great minds will attribute this to football but anyone capable of a root cause analysis will know the truth.
What UConn fan would even care.

It's the same thing anytime there's a shooting. Blame video games. Blame guns. Blame the mental health system. You can't accept that bad things sometimes happen to good people or good colleges.

It ain't fair. But the sooner you accept it and quit your nonstop whining and turning this message board into a giant asylum for every crybaby who pretends to be a fan, the sooner we can get back to rooting for our team.

Everyone manifests their ftustration in a different manner.
Pointing out negatives is necessary to achieving a robust solution. If you ask the question. Why not?
The above mentioned guys will give you excellent objections.
Only when you address these negatives can a true solution be achieved.

The above guys care

Seriously. You are insufferable. Annoying children and I am tired of listening to you whine. I don't really want to ignore you all because I think someday you'll stop with your kicking and screaming and join the rest of us in the new reality. But ffs. Yes, it sucks. But so what. Life sucks.

Get over it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Get over it.

Um guy I keep posting that this is our reality and we need to support it or we don't have any argument in the future.

Sorry that I'd prefer that our Athletic Director stop saying stupid things, or that the President of the school give us some evidence that she even cares about the situation.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Um guy I keep posting that this is our reality and we need to support it or we don't have any argument in the future.

Sorry that I'd prefer that our Athletic Director stop saying stupid things, or that the President of the school give us some evidence that she even cares about the situation.
Well can we at least agree that the things the Yard want them to say out loud - "UConn is better than the AAC", "We will get the out of Dodge the second we have an invite", "Tulane is the very definition of an inconsequential athletic program", etc - are things that 1) everybody and their mother already knows are true 2) will still cause a PR headache with other AAC schools if said out loud 3) won't actually speed up any invite form the B12 or ACC or B10.

Reaction Score

Get over it.

You seem to be forgetting that this is the Conference Realignment Board. "Rooting for our team", as you put it, is on the Football and Basketball message boards. If the posts on this board upset you that much, stick to the other boards.

Reaction Score
The majority of the blame obviously goes on Hathaway and the previous regime, but Warde has proven time and time again he actually may be even worse than Hathaway, which is fairly shocking.

Note to Warde, just stfu and say no comment.

Is it too much to ask to not be embarrassed about my school everytime our administration opens there mouths?

"Rock Star"
"Winners who win, who like winning, because we're winners who win."
" Monitoring the situation"
" Not looking to leave the AAC"
"Yes, that's a dozen glazed. Thank you..Go.AAC"
I am responding because like isn't strong enough a term for how right on the money this is. To borrow from Dr. Seuss, "Ward Manuel I don't care how, Warde Manuel won't you please go NOW! You can go by boat, you can go by rail or stamp yourself and go by mail. "

Reaction Score
My interpretation: UCONN is the biggest loser in CR so, if we follow the 3-5 year timeline to AAU status, consistent bowl appearances, and reestablishing MBB as dominant post Calhoun and APR, we will find a more attractive home when the CR music starts back up again.

All we can do as fans is continue to support, buy up the new merchandise, and root for kids who come to our school because they love UCONN as much as we do. I am fired up for 2013 football and showing these power-5 schools coming to our home that we can and will beat them.

They should have just made the American logo available as an piñata!!

Here's an article on conference realignment/men's basketball "winners/loser" from Jason King @ ESPN: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ers-latest-realignment-men-college-basketball

...and here is the Bearcat Blog reply : http://www.bearcatsblog.com/2013-articles/july/the-american-narrative.html

Reaction Score
I have one other point here. Sometimes someone needs to fall on his sword for the benefit of the whole. it is similar to when a baseball club fires the manager as the old saying goes because you can't fire the whole team. No matter whether it was Manuel's fault or it wasn't, and I think he got schooled by Jurich in the worst way, it is just necessary to bring in someone new. How can anyone take anything he says seriously going forward? Even if it wasn't his fault,he made the decision to stay in the Caribbean rather than return and it happened on his watch. It was his responsibility to protect and advance the athletic program and he failed terribly. No matter what he says from now on, that is his legacy. And replacing the logo isn't going to change that. It doesn't even matter whether it was his fault, really. He failed to get it done. He looked bad doing it. And he continues to say dumb things trying to make it sound like a pile of dog is a mountain of donuts, and nobody believes him. As ConnHuskbask said, he embarrasses us and himself every time he tries to speak on this, because everyone knows what this means, even if we want to pretend all will yet be well.

Reaction Score
He did hire an excellent hockey coach. Now he needs to hire an excellent football coach.

Reaction Score
I have one other point here. Sometimes someone needs to fall on his sword for the benefit of the whole. it is similar to when a baseball club fires the manager as the old saying goes because you can't fire the whole team. No matter whether it was Manuel's fault or it wasn't, and I think he got schooled by Jurich in the worst way, it is just necessary to bring in someone new. How can anyone take anything he says seriously going forward? Even if it wasn't his fault,he made the decision to stay in the Caribbean rather than return and it happened on his watch. It was his responsibility to protect and advance the athletic program and he failed terribly. No matter what he says from now on, that is his legacy. And replacing the logo isn't going to change that. It doesn't even matter whether it was his fault, really. He failed to get it done. He looked bad doing it. And he continues to say dumb things trying to make it sound like a pile of dog is a mountain of donuts, and nobody believes him. As ConnHuskbask said, he embarrasses us and himself every time he tries to speak on this, because everyone knows what this means, even if we want to pretend all will yet be well.

I get that there is no changing your opinions on WM but it is notable and kind of funny though that none of the national media has panned his recent comments as being inappropriate.

Reaction Score
I get that there is no changing your opinions on WM but it is notable and kind of funny though that none of the national media has panned his recent comments as being inappropriate.
I would have to assume that's because the powers that be want the other schools in the AAC to advance their athletic departments further. Memphis' most powerful booster is a Yale graduate. All of the schools, besides ECU, are in major media markets. We have to sacrifice for the greater good. We'll earn our stripes. As long as our fans keep supporting.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's not so much inappropriate as it comes across as either giving up or actually liking our current position. Not sure which is worse. I think it also feeds the media narrative that we are a "loser" in this process.

I understand he can't publicly put down the AAC, and we have to make the best of our situation... A "No Comment" would have sufficed, or "UConn is committed to playing the highest levels of competition regardless of conference affiliation." Just something other than openly giving up.

I'm not ready to Fire Warde... But let's say I'm monitoring his situation closely.

Reaction Score
I would have to assume that's because the powers that be want the other schools in the AAC to advance their athletic departments further. Memphis' most powerful booster is a Yale graduate. All of the schools, besides ECU, are in major media markets. We have to sacrifice for the greater good. We'll earn our stripes. As long as our fans keep supporting.

We are in trouble if you are counting on the fanbase. I know several football season ticket holders who say this year will be the last. I know money is tight but Herbst must slash football/basketball prices to have a full stadium/arena. While I applaud many of her moves, I do not thinks she understands the despair of the fans. I saw our conference USA affiliation coming years ago and I now see embarrassing empty seats.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
With the exception of Tom Jurich (and though he clearly earned his salary, I suspect his role in CR is inflated by the media and by Tom Jurich), it's not the AD's that determine conference affiliation, it's the presidents. If the mob has it's way and gets Warde fired for not getting is in a different conference, they should be prepared for the next AD to be a step down from whatever "rock star"means. UConn will be known as a place that fires it's AD in 2 years because of a 10-20 year process and it well be seen as a career graveyard.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
It's not so much inappropriate as it comes across as either giving up or actually liking our current position. Not sure which is worse. I think it also feeds the media narrative that we are a "loser" in this process.

I understand he can't publicly put down the AAC, and we have to make the best of our situation... A "No Comment" would have sufficed, or "UConn is committed to playing the highest levels of competition regardless of conference affiliation." Just something other than openly giving up.

I'm not ready to Fire Warde... But let's say I'm monitoring his situation closely.

Do the research... a "No comment" is one of the Top 10 Don'ts when dealing with the media. (http://policelink.monster.com/training/articles/2588-from-the-thin-blue-line-no-comment).

Read the question and the answer - not the ESPiN -

Question - "Are the Huskies done looking for a landing spot in one of the so-called five power conferences, or is the school a member of the new American Athletic Conference just until something better comes along?"

Answer - "I've been done," Manuel said. "If my focus is always looking outside this organization and what we're doing, we're not going to maintain the success that we've had." He then goes onto to say - “My concern is the stability of UConn, and what we do at UConn. We’re going to compete for national championships.”

No where does he say "UConn is Content". He says they are looking towards the future. Public begging did not work - why continue? What goes on behind scenes is going on behind scene.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind here... just pointing out a different perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom