UConn/ACC | Page 21 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't have the contract language specifically, but in 2017 and in 2022 there are "look in" terms for reviewing the contract and adjusting the rates and terms and addressing the market viability of a network, etc. It's a 15 year contract with two adjustment period built into it. There are things ESPN will need to do at those points to keep it moving forward. There are things that the ACC will need to do at those points as well.

A "look in" is not an option or an out.

The ACC is with ESPN through 26/27.

Reaction Score
Why do you keep thinking this? UVA is very happy where it is, and there isn't anyone currently in the administration interested in any other conference besides the ACC. The fan base isn't interested in changing either. If you're looking for someone in a P5 to make a move, the best bet is Texas or Oklahoma. Both have seriously looked into it before.

The B1G needs UVa to get into North Carolina by their contiguous rule. This assumes that Duke, Wake and NCSU don't sue UNC. Not to mention UNC doesn't want to leave their 3 little brothers behind. UVa will not want to move to the B1G by themselves, especially without UNC. There are too many strings attached with a UNC/UVa move to another conference. The only way it could happen is if Delany made a pitch to add all 4 North Carolina schools and UVa. 5 is a lot to digest in one big gulp... but maybe Delany can do it. He definitely has the ego to try and pull it off.

On the other hand, I think the B1G's eye's could be on the state of Texas. The ACC wants Texas badly. Nothing would make Delany happier than to steal Texas right from underneath the PAC's, SEC's and ACC's noses. If the B12 votes to expand to 12 teams and Texas and Oklahoma vote "no" to expansion, then we know Bevo's and the Sooner's true intentions are. What happens in the B12 will either cease CR for 12 more years or be the catalyst to the next big shift. Even then, Texas and OU need to have 6 or 7 other (can't remember the exact number) voting members to disband the B12 to rid their GOR. So I'm not certain the B12 can disband that easily either.

I personally think the B1G is trying to convince the NCAA that odd number conference members work in football. If Delany can make that convincing argument, then UConn has to be where he is looking. The only other P5 schools that are attainable within the next 12 years are SEC schools since they lack a GOR contract. Maybe Delany has big brass ones and is thinking SEC land?

Reaction Score
You don't leave one of the nation's fastest growing regions collectively, which the ACC is located in, to go hang out in the nation's slowest growing region.
...unless the conference in question is an afterthought in its own region. Then, if you have any sense at all, you start thinking. It's like being a crummy company in an exploding industry. A lot of money is going to get made but there's no reason to believe you're going to see any of it.

Reaction Score
We have Georgia Bulldog fans coming on the UVA board every week lately talking about how much money the SEC Channel will make, trying to talk us into joining the SEC, and they get run off pretty quick.
Sounds like UVA might be a little too snooty for their own good. Shooting the finger to the SEC and the B1G might mean, when the ground begins to shake again, they're the ones sitting in the ACC offices saying, "Where'd everybody go?"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No the B1G did not allow ND to join as a non football member. This is true. And now ND will not be playing any B1G schools in football once the existing contracted games conclude. If the B1G never wanted ND as a member, it didn't whiff. If it did, you can do the analysis.
So whiff = not agreeing to an inherently unstable partnership? You are either all in or all out in the B1G. They didn't need to compromise. The ACC did.

Reaction Score
My God. So much comedy gold in this thread. I can't wait to read about the mega deal The ACC signs with NBC in a few seasons. Those sweet Pitt and Louisville adds will definitely put them over the top. When you factor in the influence of their great partner ND stepping up for them, I can't see this not happening.:confused:

Now for the people not huffing paint thinner, the reality is that ESPN owns their asses lock, stock, and barrel and ND doesn't give two schitts about any school not named ND. The ACC is lucky that they don't have to ask Lee Corso's permission to take a dump.

The best that they can hope for IMO is The 4 letter gifting them a few additional shekels at each of their upcoming look ins. Personally I wish my school could get on this unstoppable gray train barreling down The East Coast. I know I would be thrilled to see my school make 20 million dollars a year less than a barber college like Mississippi State. At least we'd get to play Wake Forest every year, so we'd have that going for us...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like UVA might be a little too snooty for their own good. Shooting the finger to the SEC and the B1G might mean, when the ground begins to shake again, they're the ones sitting in the ACC offices saying, "Where'd everybody go?"

UVa has everything going for it academically, athletically and geographically. This may be why they "shoot the finger," as you put it, without recourse.

Reaction Score
Bake sale?

Nah. They have better money making ideas than that.

1063930d1367694659-hobbyhutraceway2013-car-wash-2.jpg

Reaction Score
UVa has everything going for it academically, athletically and geographically. This may be why they "shoot the finger," as you put it, without recourse.
Athletically? Not if you're talking revenue sports. Their geography would be more valuable if the ACC were making a play for the northeast which they aren't.

Reaction Score
What's funny to me is that these ACC posters act like ND joining as a partial/non-football member, and them getting some pity FBall games in return, was some big GET for them.

ND bailed on the BE and was prowling around looking for the next big, dumb, fat, desperate dolt of a Conference that it could sink it's leech-y talons into. And the big dummy ACC came strolling right along.

ND is completely PLAYING the entire ACC, and the ACC schools act like they won some big completion by snagging the Domers.

I must give the Domers credit for it tho, they are a diabolical bunch. Completely and utterly hilarious.
Agree...the irony is that many many ACC fans ridiculed the Big east for the same leech!

Reaction Score
Athletically? Not if you're talking revenue sports. Their geography would be more valuable if the ACC were making a play for the northeast which they aren't.

For the ACC, you're somewhat correct. For the SEC and B1G, UVa is exactly where both conferences want to expand. Their basketball is decent. Football will get better once they fire London. But its a moot point, UVa isn't leaving for either.

Reaction Score
For the ACC, you're somewhat correct. For the SEC and B1G, UVa is exactly where both conferences want to expand. Their basketball is decent. Football will get better once they fire London. But its a moot point, UVa isn't leaving for either.
Exactly my point. UVA isn't using geography to their advantage because of their commitment to an also-ran conference. Not sure "decent" is the modifier you want applied to a conference leader.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is they'll never find a better recruiter than London and if HE could invest some money in a decent X and O guy they wouldnt need a HC just 2 top coordinaters O and D or ST's.... he's sort a like a PSU's Franklin as a recruiter. Of course thats where the B1G wants to expand!! btw,It already grabbed the MidAtlantic which was plan A with ND along with Md/RU and after they grab NE/Boston with UConn....where else can the go? Cali? Texas? Va/NC make good business sense which the ACC don't seem to use in their add's of isolated pockets that are headscratchers!?! I mean you have Md/Del/NJ/NYC/Conn/RI laying there and you go up to Onandaga county,NY and Erie county,Pa for add's? The foundation should have been laid first!!! You guys had a shot at the jackpot and settled for orange peels!

Reaction Score
Let me run a couple of ideas by you. NBC Sports/Comcast has Notre Dame's home football games. Since NBC/Comcast missed out on the Big East/AAC, and they are still starved for College Athletics content to go with the English Premier League. What would you think of the idea of NBC Sports picking up a P5 conference to go with Notre Dame Football to have a Conference Channel with Notre Dame football with automatic distribution on Comcast nationwide at good rates, and their confidence in getting other cable subscribers to pick it up? There might be a conference out there that Notre Dame knows who might have some good content for such a channel, and they can introduce NBC to that group since they know them to make an offer. But that conference might already be in a contract with ESPN/Disney that can be renegotiated in 2017 open to competition with a NBC bid. That bunch, ESPN/Disney, just launched a SEC channel that looks successful so far. What about that bunch talking their two conferences SEC and ACC into a scheduling alliance where ESPN/Disney can have two conference channels and show games from teams of both conferences on the two channels getting both good distribution in the combined states of the two conferences?

Nah. Just rumor mill stuff. Nevermind. The Big Ten is going to rule the industry, and everyone wants to join.
Just wondering, what are these behind the scenes things that make up the $25 million?
Stimpy's forgetting Pitt is the ACC's headache now. If anything I'd be worried about losing $25MM per team.

Reaction Score
Let me run a couple of ideas by you. NBC Sports/Comcast has Notre Dame's home football games. Since NBC/Comcast missed out on the Big East/AAC, and they are still starved for College Athletics content to go with the English Premier League. What would you think of the idea of NBC Sports picking up a P5 conference to go with Notre Dame Football to have a Conference Channel with Notre Dame football with automatic distribution on Comcast nationwide at good rates, and their confidence in getting other cable subscribers to pick it up? There might be a conference out there that Notre Dame knows who might have some good content for such a channel, and they can introduce NBC to that group since they know them to make an offer. But that conference might already be in a contract with ESPN/Disney that can be renegotiated in 2017 open to competition with a NBC bid. That bunch, ESPN/Disney, just launched a SEC channel that looks successful so far. What about that bunch talking their two conferences SEC and ACC into a scheduling alliance where ESPN/Disney can have two conference channels and show games from teams of both conferences on the two channels getting both good distribution in the combined states of the two conferences?

Nah. Just rumor mill stuff. Nevermind. The Big Ten is going to rule the industry, and everyone wants to join.

When I woke up this am the first thing I did was flip the laptop open and reread this post. Even at first glance yesterday, I knew this one was something special.

Reaction Score
Snotty? No. Just totally confident we're in the best conference in the US to support our 25 sports programs. The SEC can't. And confident our conference has geography and the best mix of members to keep it competitive nationally going forward. I don't understand why you don't see that.

Reaction Score
Stimpy's forgetting Pitt is the ACC's headache now. If anything I'd be worried about losing $25MM per team.
Pitt doesn't seem to have an athletics department budget that looks like someone spilled tomato sauce all over it like Dennis Dodd referenced in his article. Pitt can improve in non-revenue sports. Sure. Football and Men's Basketball were in postseason play. Not really worried about those. They seem to fit in well.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Virginia in the ACC.
Thank you. Now if only the football team can win a game, it would make it all the better. But that's another matter entirely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UNC is no sleeping giant in football. They are a basketball school first and the alumni/fans see it that way. Any football coach that can raise them up will be snatched up by a football power. Football will always be 2nd fiddle to basketball there.

Disagree on this. NC is one of the fastest improving football recruiting areas from what I've read. The school itself is in a fantastic, fast growing area, and is very sought after by students around the country. They have more than enough resources to keep any coach. UNC is definitely a sleeping giant in football. They just need to want to make it happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Virginia is not leaving the ACC.

They're not stupid - they're a southern school that tends to struggle to get past the midlevel of the ACC.

The Big Ten would swallow them whole.

Reaction Score
Disagree on this. NC is one of the fastest improving football recruiting areas from what I've read. The school itself is in a fantastic, fast growing area, and is very sought after by students around the country. They have more than enough resources to keep any coach. UNC is definitely a sleeping giant in football. They just need to want to make it happen.

Seems like I've been hearing this same exact thing RE UNC football for the past 10+ years.

Thank you. Now if only the football team can win a game, it would make it all the better. But that's another matter entirely.

Best of luck to the Virginia Cavaliers football team this upcoming year during their OOC games, as well as the ACC Conference season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Butch Davis and all the "perks" he gave to hired guns at NC couldnt do it..who can? Have you read the papers recently about academic scandals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom