UConn @ AAC Media Days (July 23/24) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn @ AAC Media Days (July 23/24)

Reaction Score
AAC Media Day Notebook: UConn's Marshé Terry Enthusiastic About Switch From Safety To Linebacker

>>“He gives you range, he gives you length, he gives you toughness and the ability to match up on certain receivers,” Edsall said. “He can play man-to-man but is also big enough to take on the tight end and do some of those things.”

Edsall said he hadn’t expected Terry to emerge as a team leader over the offseason but that the junior’s ability in that regard was undeniable. “He surprised me and the coaching staff in how he stood out,” Edsall said. “I didn’t know he had that in him.”

>>Everyone around the UConn program continues to speak highly of redshirt freshman running back Zavier Scott. Asked to name a potential breakout player, offensive lineman Matt Peart raved that Scott “has had nothing but success” in switching over from the wide receiver position.<<

>>On the differences between old UConn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee and his successor John Dunn, Peart said the coaches share a similar “fire” but that Dunn “kind of has a different swagger.”<<

Reaction Score
this conference is such a joke

The simple answer is OUR heritage as a small New England Yankee Conference University lingered far too long. Our HOOP excellence was not suitable, or enough, to get us in the door in the last go-around. We really have little other options to nudge into a door that gets us to compete in the top P5 tier; but this is the only true path. There's no reason why we can't climb back to a competitive MM program; and continued excellence in the majority of our AD. There is some sub-conscious thought here on these boards that we got screwed or our administration lacked the capacity to lead us into the P5 in the conference turmoil. There should be none of that. Given Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers relative markets, brand (football) and economic largess (see YUM), we need to conclude that it simply was not our time. In hindsight.

The AAC is not a joke; it is where we are. And the Programs in the conference are (for the most part) the most comparable to us in the more marketable Eastern half of the country. (with some exceptions) I KNOW ... there is no place here for serious answers.

Reaction Score
The simple answer is OUR heritage as a small New England Yankee Conference University lingered far too long. Our HOOP excellence was not suitable, or enough, to get us in the door in the last go-around. We really have little other options to nudge into a door that gets us to compete in the top P5 tier; but this is the only true path. There's no reason why we can't climb back to a competitive MM program; and continued excellence in the majority of our AD. There is some sub-conscious thought here on these boards that we got screwed or our administration lacked the capacity to lead us into the P5 in the conference turmoil. There should be none of that. Given Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers relative markets, brand (football) and economic largess (see YUM), we need to conclude that it simply was not our time. In hindsight.

The AAC is not a joke; it is where we are. And the Programs in the conference are (for the most part) the most comparable to us in the more marketable Eastern half of the country. (with some exceptions) I KNOW ... there is no place here for serious answers.
I couldn't disagree with you more. You think we are in a conference of our peers? A bunch of directional schools and glorified community colleges + Tulane?

I rarely complain about the conference. There is no point, because we're stuck here. That doesn't change the fact that it's embarrassing for the University and is killing the brand. Couple that with things like cancelling regular season football games and getting your three hour media day show bumped for a replay of the B1G media day and I'm not sure what else you'd like to call it.

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree with you more. You think we are in a conference of our peers? A bunch of directional schools and glorified community colleges + Tulane?

I rarely complain about the conference. There is no point, because we're stuck here. That doesn't change the fact that it's embarrassing for the University and is killing the brand. Couple that with things like cancelling regular season football games and getting your three hour media day show bumped for a replay of the B1G media day and I'm not sure what else you'd like to call it.

Humor me ... what is your preferred aggregation of Football playing universities to bring eyeballs to our Team?

Given we failed to be offered entrance to the B1G or ACC?

I suppose you are one of the rejoin the Big East gang ... and drop Football. Sorry. We (our administration) made a tough decision along this journey. We are best proceeding with Bigtime football given a enormous capital investment. This conference is Big Cities in Growth regions of the country. It gives us a chance. Unlike whaler11, I believe we can now see where AAC fits on the Football screen schedule. It is good competitive football and it has a audience that watches.

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. Stuck? Then about a dozen of you will rant about Herbst - who wasn't near our campus at the time our future was in crisis. Yet, you are frequently complaining about the conference in whatever way suits you ... in spite of your protestation that you don't.

Reaction Score
Humor me ... what is your preferred aggregation of Football playing universities to bring eyeballs to our Team?

I suppose you are one of the rejoin the Big East gang ... and drop Football. Sorry. We (our administration) made a tough decision along this journey. We are best proceeding with Bigtime football given a enormous capital investment. This conference is Big Cities in Growth regions of the country. It gives us a chance. Unlike whaler11, I believe we can now see where AAC fits on the Football screen schedule. It is good competitive football and it has a audience that watches.

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. Stuck? Then about a dozen of you will rant about Herbst - who wasn't near our campus at the time our future was in crisis. Yet, you are frequently complaining about the conference in whatever way suits you ... in spite of your protestation that you don't.
that's an awful lot of words to say nothing.

personally? If the next deal isn't worth $6mm+ then dropping football is a no brainer. The Big East is getting $5mm/school and they don't have all the costs associated with football to worry about.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah we saw again. ESPNU crapped on the AAC.

Comcast is willing to walk away from BTN and Big Ten games on FS1 - but keep
thinking someone is going to pony up for BIG CITY SCHOOLS like Tulsa and Tulane.

P.S. Herbst is useless at anything besides wasting money. She ran for the hills at the first hint of cutbacks.

In her new polysci class she should have Edsall come talk about how to get something simple done in the legislature - because she didn’t have the juice to get the tight ends coach hired permanently.

Five years from now when you Herbst fools are trying to figure out why the campus looks like ruins from ancient Greece I’m going to have hardy laugh. Spending money you don’t have has a habit of biting you in the rear....

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So the ESPN U thing is actually complicated. Rumor has it that the one guy who was supposed to be doing the show is in the midst of a contract dispute and his agent made him refuse to do the show or something. I think that’s what happened, or something like that. I forget the guys name. It had nothing to do with the AAC screwing up

Reaction Score
that's an awful lot of words to say nothing.

personally? If the next deal isn't worth $6mm+ then dropping football is a no brainer. The Big East is getting $5mm/school and they don't have all the costs associated with football to worry about.

How do you amortize a stadium + Shenkman + Burton + a lot of fixed capital cost? That $5m or whatever is simply not the sole criteria to look at this.

Reaction Score
How do you amortize a stadium + Shenkman + Burton + a lot of fixed capital cost? That $5m or whatever is simply not the sole criteria to look at this.
How do you pay for everything that we're already paying for with half the money?

Reaction Score
Yeah we saw again. ESPNU crapped on the AAC.

Comcast is willing to walk away from BTN and Big Ten games on FS1 - but keep
thinking someone is going to pony up for BIG CITY SCHOOLS like Tulsa and Tulane.

P.S. Herbst is useless at anything besides wasting money. She ran for the hills at the first hint of cutbacks.

In her new polysci class she should have Edsall come talk about how to get something simple done in the legislature - because she didn’t have the juice to get the tight ends coach hired permanently.

Five years from now when you Herbst fools are trying to figure out why the campus looks like ruins from ancient Greece I’m going to have hardy laugh. Spending money you don’t have has a habit of biting you in the rear....

You talk of nothing that standard University Presidents are measured towards. That's why we should just read your first words and spin on ... like others lately. The Athletic Department is the front porch and a lot of the Brand; not insignificant. But I bet the Board spends a ton of time on real core issues that most Presidents have in their portfolio. That campus is far better than 12 years ago. And she makes Hogan & Austin look like utter modest funtionaires.

Reaction Score
At some point, perhaps we can agree that the sun rises in the east, 2+2=4, and none of us is excited about being in the AAC. That way, folks won’t be compelled to remind us of basic facts at every chance, relevant to the discussion or not. Just a thought

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You talk of nothing that standard University Presidents are measured towards. That's why we should just read your first words and spin on ... like others lately. The Athletic Department is the front porch and a lot of the Brand; not insignificant. But I bet the Board spends a ton of time on real core issues that most Presidents have in their portfolio. That campus is far better than 12 years ago. And she makes Hogan & Austin look like utter modest funtionaires.

If the criteria is good at spending money she is excellent.

I wonder if the board noticed she cut and ran as soon as the money was going to get shut off?

Complete fraud.

Reaction Score

I wonder if the board noticed she cut and ran as soon as the money was going to get shut off?

Complete fraud.

What are your credentials for this critique? Seriously.

Susan Herbst has stayed slightly longer than the average tenure of a President of a top 80 Public University. From my interaction with people that know, the academic profile and recruitment of faculty is far higher. (reference is a Drexel Provost I know) From the major connectedness of UConn Health to the Jackson Lab; the STEM push; and the Technology center ... all is going well. Fundraising is far more focused and better than Austin or Hogan. Campus Infrastructure is on a massive uptick with the hiring of a master plan - Master Plan Presents 20-Year Vision for Storrs Campus - UConn Today ... and the execution is underway (often by third party money not from the State of Connecticut or bonding). Percentage of Valedictorians from High School; Honor Students from UConn going on to higher achievement; SAT scores.

You can't just sit back and say ... darn ... "WE aren't in the ACC." Because that one is not on her.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At some point, perhaps we can agree that the sun rises in the east, 2+2=4, and none of us is excited about being in the AAC. That way, folks won’t be compelled to remind us of basic facts at every chance, relevant to the discussion or not. Just a thought
You are forgetting that we should all know what we are talking about given that we all have been fans since Tom Jackson roamed the sidelines at Rentschler and Hugh Greer built the fieldhouse with his bare (and bear) hands (Why else was it named after him?)...Wait. What?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What are your credentials for this critique? Seriously.

Susan Herbst has stayed slightly longer than the average tenure of a President of a top 80 Public University. From my interaction with people that know, the academic profile and recruitment of faculty is far higher. (reference is a Drexel Provost I know) From the major connectedness of UConn Health to the Jackson Lab; the STEM push; and the Technology center ... all is going well. Fundraising is far more focused and better than Austin or Hogan. Campus Infrastructure is on a massive uptick with the hiring of a master plan - Master Plan Presents 20-Year Vision for Storrs Campus - UConn Today ... and the execution is underway (often by third party money not from the State of Connecticut or bonding). Percentage of Valedictorians from High School; Honor Students from UConn going on to higher achievement; SAT scores.

You can't just sit back and say ... darn ... "WE aren't in the ACC." Because that one is not on her.

My credentials? A taxpayer who understands economics.

I don’t expect out of state academic blowhards to agree with me.

I could waste a bunch of time going line by line on topics we’ve covered before but this guy hits the nail on the head.

Senate Republican leader Len Fasano of North Haven said Wednesday that “the extravagance and overspending we have seen at UConn” is the driving force behind rising tuition and fees.

“For years, UConn’s spending on questionable priorities with little oversight has been out of control,” he said, blaming what he called unaffordable contracts, exorbitant raises and unchecked spending. “The problems they face today were self-created by a university that has failed to live within its means and has shown questionable judgment, prioritizing administrative bloat over the needs of their students.”

Building out the physical infrastructure when you can’t afford to maintain what is already built is suicide.

Everything she did was a function of money they spent that is about to disappear. Horray we spent 750 million on UConn Health which loses tens of millions and is such a tire fire they paid an 84 year old man his 200k salary for 8 months after he was murdered and disappeared.

Editorial: Audits Show Need To Tighten Belts

They burned through money like drunken techbros - BUT BUT they went from 26 to 17 in US News!!!

Where the state budget is going the entire enterprise is build on sand with waves bearing down on it. But she personally gets credit from lame academics on her way out the door. Absurd.

Oh and she ran the atheltic department into an iceberg - you know the purpose of this message board.

Reaction Score

Complete fraud.
Herbst to Step Down as President in Summer 2019 - UConn Today

So, are any of the accomplishments noted in the above true? Pay particular attention to in-state tuition in comparison to what UConn may now describe as "peer" institutions. When I first saw the article I thought it might be a mis-print. But, two months later, and no change. It's also notable that the school can charge out-of-state folks a ton.

Also, unless SH's situation is different than other "civilians" that work for politicians, she has to beg and get prior legislative approval for every dime. The article states that approvals were provided on a "bi-partisan basis." QED, Mr. Fasano was in the minority. All the pols had to do was say "no." Maybe you should turn your fiscal complaint canon towards Hartford.

Finally, unless you know about secret accounts in the Caymans, skimming or kick-backs, the use of the word "fraud" is nothing more than unwarranted character assassination. She asked for money, received it from the politicians and spent the money on the projects/programs described in her request. Pretty normal stuff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh and she ran the atheltic department into an iceberg - you know the purpose of this message board.
And how exactly did she do that? "By failing to get a P5 slot" really isn't an answer is it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom