UConn a two seed in the latest bracketology (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn a two seed in the latest bracketology (merged)

Reaction Score
The beauty of it all is being in control of your final fate. Win and advance. This team has already exceeded my expectations and that's with all the injuries. IMO...they represent a new chapter in UCONN Womens Hoops. If a 2 seed is where they launch from...then that will have to be where the ascent starts. Just keep winning. I don't think Creme is biased. And in all honesty...he's a lot better than the weatherman. And...so are a lot of you.

Reaction Score
The NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) includes more components than just winning percentage. It takes into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.
I must admit to having searched the NCAA NET page looking for some sort of SoS factor in the NET, and I can't find one, at least not a direct factor. This has led me to conclude in other posts that SoS (or quality of opponent, as you put it) is expected to fall out indirectly from other factors it does include, and to do so better as more data is collected. This is possible and leads me to believe the NCAA thinks that, although the NET will tend to be inaccurate in the early season, perhaps wildly so, it will improve as the season wears on, and by late February will be more or less accurate. As one example, LSU's NET ranking for this week can hardly be reconciled with their SoS. But it may turn out to be more accurate in a month.

If I'm right about this, then it isn't useful to complain about NET inaccuracies in December and January, since the tool isn't designed to be accurate at that time. It also shouldn't matter as long as the seeding decisions for the tournament are not influenced by early season ranking data.

All things considered, RPI looked like a more generally reliable tool than NET, even if it had its own flaws. Reading between the lines, I wonder if the reason the NCAA abandoned it was out of a fear that it would encourage gambling.

Reaction Score
If UConn got the 8 players who played against SJ and have the 2 injured ones (CD and AP) join in the coming games, win all the remaining games and even if lose against SC but win all other games, there is no way UConn is not a number 1 seed or at worst strongest 2 seed. It would be strange if indeed UConn is the 2 seed in Stanford's region, and it will only mean that the committee is trying hard to avoid having UConn in another Final 4.

Reaction Score
Also, I am not sure how projecting UConn as a #2 seed but picking the Huskies to make the Final Four demonstrates a bias against UConn.
It demonstrates he doesn't understand how the brackets work. Two teams in the same quarter of the draw can't both make the final four.
Predicting a team to make the Final Four is not mutually exclusive with said team being one of the four #1 seeds. To wit:
It is mutually exclusive if it's a #2 in the same bracket as another team predicted to make the final four.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Looking at this bracket and doping out the likely results, I'm amused. First we'll crush Boston U, then Kansas. who's as big and strong, and a lot quicker.

Who cares what Charlie thinks. He can put us where he likes. We'll still come out on top. Hello Final Four.

And as for the other regions, I expect we'll see ND, UCLA and Duke in the Final Four -- that would be a hoot, wouldn't it? We thump UCLA, and Duke squeaks past ND, and then we win it all.

No telling what I would do if Duke made it to Dallas, but 3 to 1 odds that i would spent a night in the Guilford County Jail. :oops:

Reaction Score
OK... Sure... BUT, the most significant "poll" (or Ranking Tool) that NCAA Selection Committee relies on, among other subjective criteria, is their Own NET ranking...and at present UCONN is #2 overall Team in the NCAA NET Ranking... as of Jan 12, 2023. So, there's that.
They also look at the team sheets. Those show that UConn has played more Quad one opponents than any other team and has more Quad one wins than any team other than SCar and tOSU.

Also, I believe I. Conference politics prevents more than one team from any conference being in the Top Four unless two teams play twice, split and are pretty much otherwise undefeated.

Generally:
Top Four : champions of four different P-6 conference.

Two Remaining P- 6 champs

Two P-6 runners up

My Way To Early top 8 would be
SCar
Stanford
TOSU
UConn

Duke
Notre Dame
Indiana
Iowa State ( however LSU might bump. Big 12 champ)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom