UConn a two seed in the latest bracketology (merged) | The Boneyard

UConn a two seed in the latest bracketology (merged)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would gladly take this bracket:
1673627548571.png

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme put out his 1st "Friday Edition" of Braketology today...and says he'll put out new ones every Tuesday and Friday for the rest of the season. In this week's attempt Charlie continues to have UCONN as a 2 seed, and based on S Curve evalutation, the #7 overall seed. Again, perhaps this is just his attempt at getting clicks and riling up the UCONN Fan base, but this makes essentially Zero sense.... and comes soon after UCONN gets Azzi back and blows out a 14-1 SJU team by 30 points on the road.

Facts that make Charlie's ranking of UCONN highly suspect:
Poll/Source UCONN Ranking
AP 4
Coaches 4
Massey 3
NET 2
NCAA Power Rank 4
ESPN Writers Projections for Final 4... 3 of 3 writers project UCONN to make final 4 in 2023

As I have said before... these Bracketologies from CC are cute...mindless, and aggravating,,, but cute... AND most importantly, THEY MEAN NOTHING at this point in the Season... in fact they won't matter when the Committee sits to make their NCAA Tournament Seating decisions.

SORRY CHARLIE ... Your BIAS is showing... might want to fix that.

Reaction Score
Sorry... didnt see this when I posted a thread " Sorry Charlie. 1/13/23". Still amazing how CC comes up with this.

Reaction Score
The other 1 seeds are Ohio State and Indiana. The 2 seeds ahead of UCONN are Notre Dame and LSU.

Reaction Score
Looking at this bracket and doping out the likely results, I'm amused. First we'll crush Boston U, then Kansas. After that, we'll run into a little competition from Michigan (or Iowa) but then simply run them into the floor.

And then it's Stanford, who we'll outplay in both front and backcourts. The Cardinal thinks they have perimeter shooters, lol. Azzi and Nika will take turns face guarding Hannah Jump. Dorka and Aaliyah will have a really good matchup against Brink and Iriafen, but without the great perimeter game, they've enjoyed in recent years, Brink will not have a clean lane to operate in. You know who'll have a clean lane in this game? Dorka and Aaliyah.

What about Haley Jones in this fantasy? Yes, she's going to score some and rebound some. But we have a player who matches up with her quite well. I think putting Aubrey on her will be a revelation -- someone who's as big and strong, and a lot quicker.

Who cares what Charlie thinks. He can put us where he likes. We'll still come out on top. Hello Final Four.

And as for the other regions, I expect we'll see ND, UCLA and Duke in the Final Four -- that would be a hoot, wouldn't it? We thump UCLA, and Duke squeaks past ND, and then we win it all.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme put out his 1st "Friday Edition" of Braketology today...and says he'll put out new ones every Tuesday and Friday for the rest of the season. In this week's attempt Charlie continues to have UCONN as a 2 seed, and based on S Curve evalutation, the #7 overall seed. Again, perhaps this is just his attempt at getting clicks and riling up the UCONN Fan base, but this makes essentially Zero sense.... and comes soon after UCONN gets Azzi back and blows out a 14-1 SJU team by 30 points on the road.

AP 4
Coaches 4
Massey 3
NET 2
NCAA Power Rank 4
ESPN Writers Projections for Final 4... 3 of 3 writers project UCONN to make final 4 in 2023

As I have said before... these Bracketologies from CC are cute...mindless, and aggravating,,, but cute... AND most importantly, THEY MEAN NOTHING at this point in the Season... in fact they won't matter when the Committee sits to make their NCAA Tournament Seating decisions.

It’s one person’s opinion on how he thinks the committee would assess the tournament field if the season ended today. Who in your opinion is Crème biased towards?

Reaction Score
Chicken Cream says UConn will be in Final Four but is a #2 seed.
Something is wrong.. Between #1 and #2 one has to be out.

Which teams will reach the Final Four?

Creme:
South Carolina, Stanford, UConn, LSU
Philippou: South Carolina, Stanford, UConn, Ohio State
Voepel: South Carolina, Stanford, UConn, LSU

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm amazed that Kim sussed out the NET so quickly. LSU is #3 in the NET and #30 in RPI. If this had been three years ago, LSU wouldn't be sniffing at a top seed.

Reaction Score
It’s one person’s opinion on how he thinks the committee would assess the tournament field if the season ended today. Who in your opinion is Crème biased towards?
Sorry... thought it thought it would be pretty clear... Charlie seems to be Biased AGAINST UCONN... I mean every poll/ranking/computer ranking I noted has UCONN rated #4 or BETTER, AND Charlie's own Final Four prediction in the ESPN article earlier this week includes UCONN...but based on his Bracketology today he has UCONN as a 2 Seed and overall #7. Is that logical???

Reaction Score
Sorry... thought it thought it would be pretty clear... Charlie seems to be Biased AGAINST UCONN... I mean every poll/ranking/computer ranking I noted has UCONN rated 4 OR HIGHER, AND Charlie's own Final Four prediction in the ESPN article earlier this week includes UCONN...but based on his Bracketology today he has UCONN as a 2 Seed and overall #7. Is that logical???
You could say that he thinks UConn is a top 4 team using the eye test, but the record the NCAA will use to seed teams puts them a little lower.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think Charlie is in cahoots with those who run the Boneyard to get more clicks and posts to generate more ad revenue for the Boneyard ;).

The eye test says UConn should be the 3rd #1 seed, at worst the 1st 2 seed. As I've said in other posts, at a minimum, 3 of the teams ranked ahead of UConn in bracketology will have one or more losses. All UConn has to do is win the Big East, beat Tennessee, and pay well against South Carolina and they will be a 1 seed.

This bracketology has Uconn as a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
You could say that he thinks UConn is a top 4 team using the eye test, but the record the NCAA will use to seed teams puts them a little lower.
OK... Sure... BUT, the most significant "poll" (or Ranking Tool) that NCAA Selection Committee relies on, among other subjective criteria, is their Own NET ranking...and at present UCONN is #2 overall Team in the NCAA NET Ranking... as of Jan 12, 2023. So, there's that.

Reaction Score
The TN game will be key for us. If we beat TN, go undefeated in the Big East, and assuming we lose to SC, that gives us 3 losses, only 1 at full-strength. IN, OSU, LSU and probably ND will lose 1-2+ more games this year. That will get us a 1 seed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Funny, since the net shows UConn as #2, with South Carolina, LSU, and Stanford as 1, 3 and 4. While Indiana is 5 and Ohio State is 8. Yet Charlie has both Indiana and Ohio State ahead of UConn. Net plus other metrics are consider, one of those metrics is injuries. So with that I say Charlie is wrong with both Indiana and Ohio State being ahead of UConn.

Reaction Score
Funny, since the net shows UConn as #2, with South Carolina, LSU, and Stanford as 1, 3 and 4. While Indiana is 5 and Ohio State is 8. Yet Charlie has both Indiana and Ohio State ahead of UConn. Net plus other metrics are consider, one of those metrics is injuries. So with that I say Charlie is wrong with both Indiana and Ohio State being ahead of UConn.
So the NCAA only uses NET when seeding the teams?

Reaction Score
How do you think Stanford fans like this latest bracket? They’ll have to play us just get out of the regionals.

Reaction Score
If they are the better team why would they care?
Haha!! Nice one. By every measure, they are the weaker team. My guess is Tara will recognize this.

Their post game depends on having great perimeter shooting so as to give Brink a clean lane. Rebeccah Lobo has discussed this in some detail. Can we shut down their primary perimeter threat, Hannah Jump? I think it’s obvious we can. Can Aubrey limit Jones’s offense and rebounding? Similar answer.

But even if they are in some other sense the better team, I’m sure they’d prefer to meet us in the Final Four rather than in the Elite Eight.

Reaction Score
Yup… as a Stanford fan I think it is very unfair UConn will have to travel to the west coast for the regionals.

Eye test wise I think a healthy UConn will beat Stanford most of the time, but it will be a close game. Stanford lives and dies by the 3. Year they won the championship they broke the tournament made 3 point record. Against UConn last year they lost by 5 points and went 4 for 23 from 3.

NET is one of the tools the selection committee uses, but they look at other things as well:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):

• Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Observable component
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of schedule

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

AP 4
Coaches 4
Massey 3
NET 2
NCAA Power Rank 4

Playing (Blue) Devil’s advocate …

The NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) includes more components than just winning percentage. It takes into account game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency, and the quality of wins and losses.

In other words, NET ranking is determined by who you played, where you played, how efficiently you played, and the result of the game. The AP & Coaches’ polls are not factored into the analysis, nor are the ESPN NCAA power rankings nor the ESPN Final Four predictions.

Yes, UConn is #2 in the latest NET rankings (through games played as of January 12, 2023). If you look at UConn’s remaining Big East games, only three (two against Villanova, one against Creighton) involve teams currently ranked in the top 40 of NET , with five remaining games (Georgetown X2, Butler, Providence, Xavier) against teams not in the top 110 of the NET rankings.

Right now, for example, the Big Ten has eight teams in the top 40 in NET (and Charlie Creme had both Indiana and Ohio State as #1 seeds). The opportunities for quality wins against strong opponents is significantly greater – and Ohio State and Indiana are less hurt by a loss to such a quality opponent.

One can look to TN to see the impact of a quality loss not being detrimental to a team’s chances in terms of NET rankings as of now. TN is ranked #17 in NET rating, despite six losses. Charlie Creme, however, has the Lady Vols as an #8 seed. Why? Perhaps it is TN’s remaining schedule. If you look at the Lady Vols’ remaining 12 games, six are against teams in the top 36 of the 1/12/2023 NET rankings – including three games against the top three in NET (South Carolina, UConn, and LSU). Even though the losses may be quality ones, having likely double digit losses entering the NCAA Tournament does not usually lend itself to a top-four/top-five seed.

Also, I am not sure how projecting UConn as a #2 seed but picking the Huskies to make the Final Four demonstrates a bias against UConn.

Chicken Cream says UConn will be in Final Four but is a #2 seed.
Something is wrong.. Between #1 and #2 one has to be out.

Which teams will reach the Final Four?

Creme:
South Carolina, Stanford, UConn, LSU
Philippou: South Carolina, Stanford, UConn, Ohio State
Voepel: South Carolina, Stanford, UConn, LSU

Predicting a team to make the Final Four is not mutually exclusive with said team being one of the four #1 seeds. To wit:
  • In 2022, UConn was the #2 seed in the Bridgeport Regional and made the Final Four.
  • In 2019, UConn was the #2 seed in the Albany Regional and made the Final Four.

Reaction Score
I don't get why our strength of schedule and injury impact are not factored appropriately. You could make a strong case that we are already #2 in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom