UConn a 1 seed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn a 1 seed

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Maryland 2 bad losses Louisville 3 bad losses Believe what you want All the teams after the 4th have flaws
Maryland has FAR better wins though and none of their losses are that bad. UCONN has 1 good win on the year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's simple kids (at least under this scenario): If Maryland and Louisville win their respective league tournaments, they get the fourth 1 seed and the top 2 seed (#4 & 5 overall) in Fort Wayne. This puts UConn as the second 2 seed (#6 overall) and puts them on the road against one of The Big 3.

Now if Maryland or Louisville do not win their league tournaments...we're in muuuccchhh better shape.

That's how I see it right now. There might be some leeway since MD has a really strong SOS and RPI, and Louisville is a 1 loss team with Balogun in the lineup, plus their loss to Ohio State isnt looking nearly as bad now. No idea how much the committee penalizes them for their Syracuse loss since EB was out. It may take these two getting a bad loss to fall below UCONN for seeding even though the Huskies will be above them in the polls.

Reaction Score
P5 in this context simply means the big schools playing in big conferences with big athletic department budgets and generally the best athletes and overall competition.
For football because football pays for all those other sports at their schools. P5 was made because those 5 conferences were going to break apart from the NCAA to establish their own association for Football!

Reaction Score
Coach Andy Landers commented on the SC post game that Connecticut's problem is that other quality teams can play them 5 on 3, or on good days, 5 on 4 because not all starters contribute.

Sobering, but we all see it game after game with several starters notching ZERO points in full game tryouts.

With UConn looking beatable in several weak Conference games the eventual ranking doesn't matter as we struggle with everyone and on any given day can lose to a lesser opponent.

Even the Conference Tournament will be dicey and the added adrenaline of March Madness could potentially boost a 1st or 2nd round under-dog to over-perform and upset UConn. Not a hard coaching sell because all the players know UConn is vulnerable, just depends on the right day and right combination of 3s and foul calling.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coach Andy Landers commented on the SC post game that Connecticut's problem is that other quality teams can play them 5 on 3, or on good days, 5 on 4 because not all starters contribute.

Sobering, but we all see it game after game with several starters notching ZERO points in full game tryouts.

With UConn looking beatable in several weak Conference games the eventual ranking doesn't matter as we struggle with everyone and on any given day can lose to a lesser opponent.

Even the Conference Tournament will be dicey and the added adrenaline of March Madness could potentially boost a 1st or 2nd round under-dog to over-perform and upset UConn. Not a hard coaching sell because all the players know UConn is vulnerable, just depends on the right day and right combination of 3s and foul calling.

Not going to try and prove it, but I think other than the top 3 teams, all other teams can say the same thing regarding having some weakness in the starting lineup (although MD is looking real real good)

And for UConn, for CW, it is all mental and I think she will get her mind right and become the offensive threat we have seen in spurts and with careful planning by the coaching staff to address a specific opponent, we can combine the skill sets of Anna, Aubrey and Kyla to get the contributions we need. All I ask is that we do not lose to an inferior opponent and we compete against a superior opponent as we wait for reinforcements.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Tell me how the B12 tournament helps Baylor? They are the only ranked team. Their SOS is 40! They have played 2 top 15 teams and their record in those games is 1-1. And yet they are considered a lock for a 1 seed. That is strictly a subjective 1 seed based on perception with little analytic justification.
And I'm not trying to tout UConn's seed. They'll be whatever they get. But anyone who thinks seeding is done using analytics and on a consistent case to case basis is wrong. For every case Creme makes for a team there are ways to see it. Today he said that if they lost to USF UConn would be a 3 seed. Well, NCSt lost to an unranked GTech team AT HOME after losing at home to Louisville. They also lost to UNC. They have 3 losses, just like UConn but 2 of them were to unranked teams while UConn's losses were to the top 3 teams. Now Nc St had a win vs No 10 MD to UConn's win over No 13 DePaul but not so different. Let's see where Charlie puts them.
You are being ridiculously obtuse. The Big 12 tournament will feature 5-6 teams that are expected to make the NCAA tournament. Baylor will have an opportunity to beat one of those team and “solidify” a #1 seeding. The AAC is expected to be a 1 bid conference. Even the Missouri Valley conference is expected to produce 3 tournament teams. There is nothing subjective about this-them are just facts! Conference matters and the AAC does not and has never helped UCONN WBB. UCONN’s exit from this conference if anything has been too slow.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
What a ridiculous reaction. Those five conferences lead the Massey power ratings in women’s basketball and it’s a lot easier to say Power Five then to list them separately. Everyone knows what I meant; save your pet peeve-itis for something really important.
Do you not understand the word peeve? Meaning its not a big deal, just annoying, like your response.

Reaction Score
Really do not understand ratings like NET...

But NET currently has UConn #7....

Behind Oregon, South Carolina, Maryland, Mizzou State, Baylor, and Louisville...

How does this ranking square with seed assignments?

At all ? Some?

(I noticed that Realtime RPI has the same order)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you not understand the word peeve? Meaning its not a big deal, just annoying, like your response.
That’s your second explanation. The first one used the word “offended”, which is a big deal and is much more than annoying. Perhaps you should also understand that “should” is a word with several interpretations. I could have used the word “must”, which would have rightfully drawn your ire, but I didn’t.
By the way, I am trombone guy, and have great respect for percussion.

Reaction Score
Has anyone considered that any of the big three could be upset at some point before the tournament? That's a serious possibility. The absolute worst thing would be for the Huskies to give up hope. They can end this season terrifically. The second half of this last game was really positive. The wore down a tough USF team that was playing pretty hard. UConn has the talent. Granted it has to come together all at one time and it has not as of yet, but there is still time to pull it all together, hope one or two of the big three get upset, and play a couple of really strong games. It's doable.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Really do not understand ratings like NET...

But NET currently has UConn #7....

Behind Oregon, South Carolina, Maryland, Mizzou State, Baylor, and Louisville...

How does this ranking square with seed assignments?

At all ? Some?

(I noticed that Realtime RPI has the same order)
There is no NET in women's basketball. There's only RPI.

Reaction Score
OK...learning every day...so the Realtime RPI of #7 is the one...A spot behind UConn's AP and Coaches ranking.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
OK...learning every day...so the Realtime RPI of #7 is the one...A spot behind UConn's AP and Coaches ranking.
Yes but the seeding won't be determined by RPI primarily. Missouri State's RPI is currently higher than Baylor's, but that doesn't mean anything for their seeding.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom