UConn a 1 seed | The Boneyard

UConn a 1 seed

Reaction Score
We are only going to lose to the 3 best teams. There is no better pick for the 4th 1 seed. Said it Monday night and NC State loss to LV was obvious. Where are we going for the regionals?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It would have helped a lot if UConn had played and defeated a few teams ranked lower than #3 and higher than #25 (Tennessee). They did defeat one such team: DePaul. That's good, but a few more like that would help a lot.

Right now, a number of other teams can say that they have more quality wins on their resume than UConn, and that may cause them to get the last #1 seed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maryland will blow it again in Indy, just like they always seem to do.

They are definitely capable of that. Then Louisville could possibly run the table all the way to Fort Wayne

Reaction Score
Sixth seems like the highest possibility. The winners of each of the the Power Five Conferences should get the top 5 seeds, unless there are a slew of upsets between now and seeding time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They are definitely capable of that. Then Louisville could possibly run the table all the way to Fort Wayne
Not if my Blue Devils or if @Plebe Fighting Irish have anything to say about it! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
if this plays out the way you say we could at least keep our other streak, never losing in the NC game.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The winners of each of the the Power Five Conferences should get the top 5 seeds......
This is a personal peeve of mine - THERE ARE NO POWER 5 CONFERENCES IN BASKETBALL! That is a marketing designation for football. Your contention is therefore null and void!

Reaction Score
This is a personal peeve of mine - THERE ARE NO POWER 5 CONFERENCES IN BASKETBALL! That is a marketing designation for football. Your contention is therefore null and void!
P5 in this context simply means the big schools playing in big conferences with big athletic department budgets and generally the best athletes and overall competition.

Reaction Score
After watching Maryland completely demolish Iowa last night I think they have a case for a shot at the fourth number one seed. They have won ten straight after a very quiet start to their year. They need to avoid laying that late season egg.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't think this matters much for UCONN. There is no longer an Albany region so UCONN fan support will almost guaranteed to be less than in the past few years. The weakest #1 will get matched up with the strongest #2. UCONN is mostly likely one of these. Assuming the brackets hold UCONN will have to beat a very good team to get to the FF. That very good team could be Louisville, NC State, or Maryland or Oregon State which is entirely doable for UCONN.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Don't think this matters much for UCONN. There is no longer an Albany region so UCONN fan support will almost guaranteed to be less than in the past few years. The weakest #1 will gets matched up with the strongest #2. UCONN is mostly likely one of these. Assuming the brackets hold UCONN will have to beat a very good team to get to the FF. That very good team could be Louisville, NC State, or Maryland or Oregon State which is entirely doable for UCONN.
If the NCAA Selection Committee follows the precedent of recent years, it will assign 2-seeds to regions based on geography rather than the S-curve. That seems to imply that if UConn is a 2-seed (regardless of whether it is 5, 6, 7. or 8), it is quite likely to be sent to Fort Wayne.

Also, based on geography and considering who the top 3 teams are likely to be and where the Regionals are located, it is quite likely that the 4th #1 seed will be in Fort Wayne. That should mean that UConn, with any 2-seed, may be able to get to the Final Four without having to defeat any of the three teams that it has already lost to.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the NCAA Selection Committee follows the precedent of recent years, it will assign 2-seeds to regions based on geography rather than the S-curve. That seems to imply that if UConn is a 2-seed (regardless of whether it is 5, 6, 7. or 8), it is quite likely to be sent to Fort Wayne.
Also, based on geography and considering who the top 3 teams are likely to be and where the Regionals are located, it is quite likely that the 4th #1 seed will be in Fort Wayne. That should mean that UConn, with any 2-seed, may be able to get to the Final Four without having to defeat any of the three teams that it has already lost to.
That is exactly what I was trying to say. The S curve, Geography and perhaps path of least resistance (fate) points to UCONN going to Ft. Wayne.

Reaction Score
P5 in this context simply means the big schools playing in big conferences with big athletic department budgets and generally the best athletes and overall competition.
In some ways, I regret that UConn is not in a conference with multiple top 15-20 teams. Best example was the year Notre Dame beat us multiple times but Huskies won at end of year. Back then, not such a big deal to lose an in season game and gave Geno and coaching staff more material to base their NCAA strategy on. The world did not end based on 2-3 games.

Reaction Score

Its likely the Portland regional where the Huskies will go baaed on the multiple 2/3 seeds in the Pac 12 and the committee’s past policy of not assigning high seeds to the same region.

Reaction Score
Sixth seems like the highest possibility. The winners of each of the the Power Five Conferences should get the top 5 seeds, unless there are a slew of upsets between now and seeding time.
Women's BB has a Power One, and it's which conference UConn is in. Twelve straight Final Fours, that's the Power One

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Women's BB has a Power One, and it's which conference UConn is in. Twelve straight Final Fours, that's the Power One
Love and support the Bravado but.... the reality is quite different. Every other ranked team in a P5 conference has an opportunity to increase or solidly its seeding by playing well in the upcoming conference tournaments. By being in the AAC UCONN has no such opportunity. Next season in the renewed BE UCONN’ WBB opportunity to elavate in the seeding via conference play only increases marginally.

Reaction Score
What a ridiculous reaction. Those five conferences lead the Massey power ratings in women’s basketball and it’s a lot easier to say Power Five then to list them separately. Everyone knows what I meant; save your pet peeve-itis for something really important.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Of course I I understand that, but Jordy in his post made it seem as those 5 conferences should have auto #1-5 slots, so I took offense with his presumption and vocabulary in that particular post.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

If Louisville finishes higher than UCONN but is still a 2, they should get Fort Wayne over the Huskies.

Maryland right now is the clear leader for the last #1 seed unless UCLA beats Oregon tonight. Maryland has #3 RPI, #3 SOS, 9-4 vs Top 50 RPI teams. From an eye test perspective they're playing really well too. 10 straight wins, with 4 of them over top 15 RPI teams, and 6 against the top 50 RPI. Last night they absolutely throttled Iowa who is a solid team.

UCONN is #8 RPI, #5 SOS, and 5-3 vs. Top 50 RPI teams. Their top 50 wins are against #19, #26, #45, #47 and #49. If the teams in the 40s falter, they'll drop to 2-3 against RPI top 50 teams.

Louisville is #5 RPI, #18 SOS and overall not as strong, but the committee may take Balogun's short absence into consideration and not penalize Louisville as much for those 2 losses. With her they are 22-1.

I think it's a long shot for UCONN to get a 1 this year. Quite frankly, they don't have any strong wins and and imbalanced OOC scheduling will hurt their chances. At the end of the day though, the #1 seed just doesn't matter. All comes down to if they get Fort Wayne or if they have to play a road game against one of the big 3 to get to the Final Four.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom