UConn @ #9/#11 Texas Tech (Friday 3/12/21 @ 3p ET, Saturday 3/13 @ 3p, Sunday 3/14 @ 3p, Monday 3/15@ 11a). All on ESPN+/WHUS | Page 18 | The Boneyard

UConn @ #9/#11 Texas Tech (Friday 3/12/21 @ 3p ET, Saturday 3/13 @ 3p, Sunday 3/14 @ 3p, Monday 3/15@ 11a). All on ESPN+/WHUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another homer ties it. Simeone is warming up. Another homer finally puts this game and weekend out of its misery for us and UConn.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I‘ve never seen that happen...ever. 3 in a row to win the game.

Reaction Score
That right there is the season in a nutshell. Only thing I would have done differently is if you were going to pitch Wurster that long, should have had him start the 7th when they were up 4-2 and try to go 3 innings.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
0-3 for the weekend which easily could have been 2-1
Threw my damn remote seeing #3 fly over the fence - 3 hrs in a row - can it get any worse?
My of my
Penders is getting grey before our eyes

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
0-3 for the weekend which easily could have been 2-1
Threw my damn remote seeing #3 fly over the fence - 3 hrs in a row - can it get any worse?
My of my
Penders is getting grey before our eyes
Gonna be nice to have some home cooking...

Reaction Score
I have nothing after that.....these are the teams we want to play with and right now we aren’t doing the small things to beat them.

Games gets much less interesting from here on in. Hopefully the kids confidence is not completely shot and we can take advantage of a huge step down in competition.

Reaction Score
That right there is the season in a nutshell. Only thing I would have done differently is if you were going to pitch Wurster that long, should have had him start the 7th when they were up 4-2 and try to go 3 innings.

Once Wurster comes into that game he isn't coming out until it is over. That is consistent with how Penders has used his closers in similar situations in the past. Plus, aside from the guys that were used in this game there was no one else really to go to with all the pitchers who were used this weekend. I can definitely understand using Marrero in the 7th as it potentially shortens the workload for Wurster if it works out, which is of importance as he had already been in a game this weekend. The coaches love Marrero's stuff, at this point he is probably the most likely candidate to be the closer next season.

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder, when are we getting guys like Lucas and Mayock back who were both solid relievers for us last year. Would have been nice to have one or both of them for this weekend series.

Reaction Score
Makes me wonder, when are we getting guys like Lucas and Mayock back who were both solid relievers for us last year. Would have been nice to have one or both of them for this weekend series.

UConn limits the travel squad on these long early trips to about 27 players. With more games now to be played either in the northeast or on campus, the players who have not been making these trips will have more of a chance to play. Also, if all the players who got hurt are not ready to play next weekend, that will open up spots to play as well. Chris Jones has been talking about during broadcasts about the the non traveling players getting chances to play in the near future.

Reaction Score
UConn limits the travel squad on these long early trips to about 27 players. With more games now to be played either in the northeast or on campus, the players who have not been making these trips will have more of a chance to play. Also, if all the players who got hurt are not ready to play next weekend, that will open up spots to play as well. Chris Jones has been talking about during broadcasts about the the non traveling players getting chances to play in the near future.
But what makes a player a non traveling player versus a traveling player. Did these pitchers who did travel just rank higher than Lucas and Mayock and that's why they got the nod? If so, just seems hard to believe based off of what we saw from those 2 last year.

Reaction Score
But what makes a player a non traveling player versus a traveling player. Did these pitchers who did travel just rank higher than Lucas and Mayock and that's why they got the nod? If so, just seems hard to believe based off of what we saw from those 2 last year.

Don't know the answer to that. I do know the travel roster can change from week to week. For instance, I believe Will Lucas was on the Virginia trip. Some of it has to do with injuries, others with performance or practice. I recall that Andrew Marrero and Justin Willis did not make the Virginia trip. I don't think Simmons was on the Virginia trip as well.

After the Philadelphia trip to Saint Joe's, UConn has a 14 game stretch with 12 games at home and two midweek games that don't require any hotel stays. That should give some of the non traveling players a shot at playing. I would think it would be more likely that some pitchers such as Lucas would get a shot to get into games.

Reaction Score
I think that while this weekend wasn’t the best and was by no means the result we all wanted, Kyler Fedko turned it around in a big way which is MASSIVE for this team going forward. I would like to see Simeone figure it out a bit but this team isn’t done yet

Reaction Score
I think that while this weekend wasn’t the best and was by no means the result we all wanted, Kyler Fedko turned it around in a big way which is MASSIVE for this team going forward. I would like to see Simeone figure it out a bit but this team isn’t done yet

No question about it, the turnaround of Kyler Fedko is indeed a huge development for UConn baseball. He basically went from being the worst bat in the lineup to the best bat, and it also means you can have one of the team's top defensive outfielders in the lineup as well. Other guys showed good signs of progress with the bat in Lubbock, such as Kevin Ferrer and T.C. Simmons. The outfield is beginning to look like it has the potential to be a pretty talented and crowded spot on this team.

The big thing now is to get some of the injured guys back into the lineup. I really want to see more of Simmons and Justin Willis, they showed some good stuff over the weekend. I don't think there is any doubt that Austin Peterson is heading right back into the starting rotation once he is healthy. Still, Peterson has to show he can do the job on a consistent basis. The overall starting pitching at this point is to me the biggest question mark on this team.

I can be pretty patient waiting for young talented players to progress and develop. There seem to be a number of them on this team, especially on the pitching staff, but they need some semblance of control over their pitches so they don't continue to walk/hit by pitch the world. At the same time, I'm losing patience with some veterans who I thought had the talent to turn into pretty useful players, but who seem to have been stuck in neutral for a few years now. That would include Jimmy Wang and Joe Simeone. I am especially saddened to say this about Simeone, as I have been a rather big proponent of him in the past. Still, sometimes you never know when some of these guys finally figure it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger