UConn 70, Georgetown 65 (1990) | The Boneyard

UConn 70, Georgetown 65 (1990)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just watched most of this. A few takeaways:

- This was the "Alonzo Mourning makes anti-Semitic comments to Nadav Henefeld" game. Except... well, he actually didn't. He just trash-talked the Dove more than he should've, and got his punk beat

- Georgetown came into that game 10-0, technically No. 2 in the nation but expected to be No. 1 since Kansas had lost earlier that day. It was the first time we'd beaten a team ranked that high.

- Mike Gorman called it the best win in program history at the final buzzer. Hard to argue with him (at the time), though you could make a case for the Syracuse game five days prior, as well as the NIT championship. Without those two I'm not sure the Georgetown win ever happens.

- That said, the young'uns have to understand this: beating Georgetown in the '80s and early '90s felt like what beating UK now does, but with an added dose of "You're our conference rivals, duck* you!" hatred. Beating them when they're 10-0 and ranked No. 1? Good god, what a win!

- We started on a 14-0 run, and forced them into 9 turnovers in the first 6 minutes.

- The HCC was LOUD. It was loud during the opening run, but even louder when they iced it from the line at the end. I doubt it's been that loud since. It was also a sell-out, which was 2000 more than our season average in Hartford at the time. Nonetheless, nobody rushed the court at the end

- Georgetown came out on a 9-2 run to start the second half, and actually took a 40-37 lead (clip of the UConn response below...)

- That UConn team was an early example of the "pace and space" type of team that's come into vogue over the last decade. We had a ton of 6-foot-5 to 6-foot-8 athletes who clogged up passing lanes, switched off of assignments, and were comfortable battling underneath & outside

- In that vein, Henefeld was for us exactly what Draymond Green is for the Dubs. He played as a stretch 4, raining fire from downtown, pulling defenders out of the lane, facilitating from the high post or beyond the arc, helping bring the ball up against the press, fighting underneath, and generally setting the tone and temperment of the team. He finished with 21 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals, and the two biggest balls in the gym.

- There was one play early when Henefeld was guarding Mutombo in the post, switched off him to double-team and close out a drive, got a hand on the pass back to Mutombo to force a turnover that went the other way for a UConn lay-up, then forced another turnover on the ensuing Georgetown inbounds play

- We got absolutely brutalized underneath - not a surprise given Georgetown's size advantage. Calhoun sacrificed rebounding for getting our best shooters/scorers and "turnover forcers" out there, and not just for the 2-2-1 press (which we didn't use much of that game). Again: Very modern and very forward-thinking from St. Jim

- We played a ton of 1-3-1 in the halfcourt. Obviously that was part of why we were brutalized/out-rebounded

- This was the second "Mourning & Mutombo" team, but you could make the argument that Mark Tillmon was their best/most important player. He shot 47% overall that year, 43% from downtown and averaged 20 ppg, but Tate, Smitty & the zone just kept him off-balance the entire night

- Sellers was a battler, and Cyrulik gave us some great minutes late in the 2nd half. There's no way they'd have stayed in that game without the extra fouls.

- Oh yeah... extra fouls! That was one of the years that the Big East went with 6 fouls instead of 5, which just encouraged an already physical conference to become moreso. Watch this game, then watch Georgetown/Nova from '85, and the difference in the amount of every possession bumping/clutching/physicality is staggering. IMO this cost Big East teams in the tournament, which was called much tighter

- Smitty's release was so, so smooth. He would have a significant NBA career if he came around today, playing as a sixth man who could defend two spots and spread the floor. That said, he couldn't finish in the paint - and not just because of Alonzo & Dikembe

- What a shame about Murray Williams. He made a couple of "how in god's name did he cover so much ground to get into that passing lane?!!??" plays, but his +/- must've been miserable. He was a fraction of the player he'd been two years before

- No Burrell in this one. I'll have to pick a game from later in this season, or maybe his junior year. He remains vastly underrated among our fanbase - especially his court vision

- Tate was old reliable. He played like the type of guy you'd take real estate advice from

- And finally, I want to bring it back to Nadav: The play that best embodied what he was and how we played came just after the half, with Ronnie Thompson just sort of casually dribbling while calling a play 35 feet from the hoop. Nadav closed about 10 feet on him in an eyeblink, reached out and just swiped it from him, giving Smitty a fast-break lay-up. It was such an awesome, unexpected play that Clark Kellogg started giggling. It's still one of my favorite plays of all-time, and has been seared into my memory since I was 13.

Watch it here:

He hit another 3 right after that to make it 45-42. He was brilliant.

- I guarantee you Nadav goes too low in the All-Time Husky Draft thing that's starting. Obviously his boxscore stats don't wow you, but if we were to get access to RPM or BPM going back over the last 40 years, I'd wager an arm he's in our single-season top 5. He was that team's best player, defensive keystone & MVP

Reaction Score
I was at that game with my best friends family. We drove through a snow storm to get there. What a win that was

Reaction Score
I was there. The Civic Center was bonkers. Six days later the win over Syracuse made it one of the greatest weeks in Husky basketball history. It was our virginal moment as we entered the ranks of blue blood basketball.

Reaction Score
I was there. The Civic Center was bonkers. Six days later the win over Syracuse made it one of the greatest weeks in Husky basketball history. It was our virginal moment as we entered the ranks of blue blood basketball.
Syracuse game was actually five days earlier; the opener at Gampel was 7 days later, against St. John's.

Reaction Score
As I said many times, the HCC was never louder than that one. The 14-0 run (really the 12-0 prior to GTwon TO) was crazy loud and being there was something we never thought could happen. It became pretty much a regular thing soon after that though huh? Outstanding

Reaction Score
89/90 was my first season with season tix. We had gone to the Cuse game the Monday before. Crazy!!! Both beerfan and I could not make the Gtown game. I was at a wedding. Some guy had a small BW TV on a chair by his table trying to catch the game. I ended up in the car with a couple of Heinekens listening to the last 3 minutes. As was already mentioned here. The weather was lousy that night. Drove home through ice and snow - got home at 2 AM and watched the game that I had taped on my new VCR. Got to bed around 4AM. Slept 4 hours. Read the sports page articles and watched the game again while eating breakfast. A great weekend.

Reaction Score
I watched that game at a bar on the west side of Danbury, The Brick or something like that. I was telling people tonight is our breakthrough. Even my friends said I was crazy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Horrible weather yet the scalpers made a bundle. The guy next to me paid $150. for a pair. And that was for halfway up the 200's level.

Reaction Score
This was the game that made me a fan. The first Uconn game i ever watched was the Cuse game the week prior. All of my friends were talking about Uconn having a big game that night and while i wasnt a basketball fan at the time i decided to check it out and i was really into the game. This game though is what really sold me and ive been hooked ever since. Thanks Rob Kaiser wherever you are.

C

Chief00

I remember it like it was yesterday. I had been attending UConn basketball games since I was 5 but my girlfriend at the time was having a party with the idea it was a few weeks since the holidays were over. She was from NY and many of her friends came up. I reluctantly sold my tickets because I really had no choice of I were to continue dating her.

I first took the risk of turning the game on rather than socializing, then of not helping out during the party and finally a few people stopped by to see what I was so fixated about - and a couple of them started watching and then a couple more. A few of us cheered during the excitement during the second half - and by the end of the game nearly everyone was watching and cheering even if they had no clue about basketball.

Quick frankly, it was the start of something special on a scale that UConn had not experienced before that lead to 4 NC's. At the time, I thought about how when Calhoun came he had so few players in a probably illegal spring game I and another kid played so they would have ten players - that was just a few years earlier.

Reaction Score
I worked that game as color commentator on WHUS with John Tuitt. I was a senior in school at the time. I remember us commenting on how loud it got as that game opening run manifested itself. John said he had never heard it so loud, and I never thought HCC could get that loud. The energy running through the arena was amazing. Any of you who were there, you did a great job of helping our boys come through with the victory in the end. And by the way, Georgetown was 14-0 at the time, not 10-0.

I saw the initial 'Zo extended trash talking Nadav - happened on the foul line right in front of us on press row during a two-shot foul about mid-way through the first half. Nadav never said a word back. What 'Zo should have realized is that he wasn't trash-talking some wide-eyed freshman in awe of the big, bad Alonzo Mourning, but a guy who had already done his mandatory service in the Israeli military. Not only did 'Zo not phase him but Nadav went on to one of the most amazing performances I (and many of us here) have ever seen. His stat line from that game does not illustrate how great he was that night. He seemingly made a huge play each and every time it looked like momentum had swung Georgetown's way... at least 6 or 7 times. Go watch the video (thanks tcf15!).

Matrim, great commentary on Nadav in general! Absolutely his year in 1989-1990 belongs in the top 4 or 5 of most valuable years any one player has ever had in a Husky uniform. I would only put Kemba in 2011, Emeka in 2004 and Shabazz in 2014 firmly ahead of him. Especially when you put it into the context of where we were before that year, and what has come since. Obviously Caron in 2003, Rip in 1999 and Donyell in 1994 also were big individual years... but none of them happen without 1989-1990.

This game against Georgetown meant more than even the Syracuse game 5 days earlier, which I attended in the student section. Why? Because we tended to compete well with Syracuse, even at that early point in Calhoun's tenure at UConn. Georgetown, on the other hand, had proven to be a much harder mountain for us to climb. As noted on the telecast, they had beaten us 15 of the last 16 times we had played them coming into that game. And every time we were close, they seemed to have luck (or the refs, see ending of game at Georgetown in 1988) on their side. Having the will to take that game away from the Hoyas at the end gave us all a feeling for the first time that something special was growing... of course, we did not know how special for another couple of months. Even more than the NIT championship, that was the real beginning of everything for us.

Read this article by Ken Davis from the Courant in 1997. Calhoun himself agrees:

http://articles.courant.com/1997-01...coach-jim-calhoun-ricky-moore-gampel-pavilion

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Excellent observations but I'm pretty sure Mourning's anti-semitic woofing took place at the Big East Tournament semi-final game at MSG.

Just watched most of this. A few takeaways:

- This was the "Alonzo Mourning makes anti-Semitic comments to Nadav Henefeld" game. Except... well, he actually didn't. He just trash-talked the Dove more than he should've, and got his punk beat

- Georgetown came into that game 10-0, technically No. 2 in the nation but expected to be No. 1 since Kansas had lost earlier that day. It was the first time we'd beaten a team ranked that high.

- Mike Gorman called it the best win in program history at the final buzzer. Hard to argue with him (at the time), though you could make a case for the Syracuse game five days prior, as well as the NIT championship. Without those two I'm not sure the Georgetown win ever happens.

- That said, the young'uns have to understand this: beating Georgetown in the '80s and early '90s felt like what beating UK now does, but with an added dose of "You're our conference rivals, duck* you!" hatred. Beating them when they're 10-0 and ranked No. 1? Good god, what a win!

- We started on a 14-0 run, and forced them into 9 turnovers in the first 6 minutes.

- The HCC was LOUD. It was loud during the opening run, but even louder when they iced it from the line at the end. I doubt it's been that loud since. It was also a sell-out, which was 2000 more than our season average in Hartford at the time. Nonetheless, nobody rushed the court at the end

- Georgetown came out on a 9-2 run to start the second half, and actually took a 40-37 lead (clip of the UConn response below...)

- That UConn team was an early example of the "pace and space" type of team that's come into vogue over the last decade. We had a ton of 6-foot-5 to 6-foot-8 athletes who clogged up passing lanes, switched off of assignments, and were comfortable battling underneath & outside

- In that vein, Henefeld was for us exactly what Draymond Green is for the Dubs. He played as a stretch 4, raining fire from downtown, pulling defenders out of the lane, facilitating from the high post or beyond the arc, helping bring the ball up against the press, fighting underneath, and generally setting the tone and temperment of the team. He finished with 21 points, 6 rebounds, 5 steals, and the two biggest balls in the gym.

- There was one play early when Henefeld was guarding Mutombo in the post, switched off him to double-team and close out a drive, got a hand on the pass back to Mutombo to force a turnover that went the other way for a UConn lay-up, then forced another turnover on the ensuing Georgetown inbounds play

- We got absolutely brutalized underneath - not a surprise given Georgetown's size advantage. Calhoun sacrificed rebounding for getting our best shooters/scorers and "turnover forcers" out there, and not just for the 2-2-1 press (which we didn't use much of that game). Again: Very modern and very forward-thinking from St. Jim

- We played a ton of 1-3-1 in the halfcourt. Obviously that was part of why we were brutalized/out-rebounded

- This was the second "Mourning & Mutombo" team, but you could make the argument that Mark Tillmon was their best/most important player. He shot 47% overall that year, 43% from downtown and averaged 20 ppg, but Tate, Smitty & the zone just kept him off-balance the entire night

- Sellers was a battler, and Cyrulik gave us some great minutes late in the 2nd half. There's no way they'd have stayed in that game without the extra fouls.

- Oh yeah... extra fouls! That was one of the years that the Big East went with 6 fouls instead of 5, which just encouraged an already physical conference to become moreso. Watch this game, then watch Georgetown/Nova from '85, and the difference in the amount of every possession bumping/clutching/physicality is staggering. IMO this cost Big East teams in the tournament, which was called much tighter

- Smitty's release was so, so smooth. He would have a significant NBA career if he came around today, playing as a sixth man who could defend two spots and spread the floor. That said, he couldn't finish in the paint - and not just because of Alonzo & Dikembe

- What a shame about Murray Williams. He made a couple of "how in god's name did he cover so much ground to get into that passing lane?!!??" plays, but his +/- must've been miserable. He was a fraction of the player he'd been two years before

- No Burrell in this one. I'll have to pick a game from later in this season, or maybe his junior year. He remains vastly underrated among our fanbase - especially his court vision

- Tate was old reliable. He played like the type of guy you'd take real estate advice from

- And finally, I want to bring it back to Nadav: The play that best embodied what he was and how we played came just after the half, with Ronnie Thompson just sort of casually dribbling while calling a play 35 feet from the hoop. Nadav closed about 10 feet on him in an eyeblink, reached out and just swiped it from him, giving Smitty a fast-break lay-up. It was such an awesome, unexpected play that Clark Kellogg started giggling. It's still one of my favorite plays of all-time, and has been seared into my memory since I was 13.

Watch it here:

He hit another 3 right after that to make it 45-42. He was brilliant.

- I guarantee you Nadav goes too low in the All-Time Husky Draft thing that's starting. Obviously his boxscore stats don't wow you, but if we were to get access to RPM or BPM going back over the last 40 years, I'd wager an arm he's in our single-season top 5. He was that team's best player, defensive keystone & MVP

Reaction Score
Excellent observations but I'm pretty sure Mourning's anti-semitic woofing took place at the Big East Tournament semi-final game at MSG.

It may have there also but it also happened during this game. At one point while lining up for a FT they were seen jawing and later some discussed the anti-semetic lashing Alonzo was throwing out. Actually it wasn't "they" Dove keep his cool and only Zo had a conversation.

Reaction Score
It may have there also but it also happened during this game. At one point while lining up for a FT they were seen jawing and later some discussed the anti-semetic lashing Alonzo was throwing out. Actually it wasn't "they" Dove keep his cool and only Zo had a conversation.
From this article:

During a late-February interview in Storrs, Conn., Henefeld also vehemently denied Mourning had made remarks of the type Mourning was alleged to have made.

Reaction Score
From this article:

During a late-February interview in Storrs, Conn., Henefeld also vehemently denied Mourning had made remarks of the type Mourning was alleged to have made.

Because he was a good guy and didn't want to make anything of it. It happened, maybe not anti-Semitic remarks but something was said for sure.

Reaction Score
Because he was a good guy and didn't want to make anything of it.
Zo is, by all accounts, a great guy as well.

It happened, maybe not anti-Semitic remarks but something was said for sure.
Lots of stuff is said on the court. I don't doubt that Mourning was talking more than he should've, but there's a difference between calling someone you're competing against a b**ch or whatever, and going straight for the anti-Semitic handbook. And I honestly think that if anyone had made anti-Semitic or racially tinged comments to or about one of his players, Calhoun would've attacked that SOB with a machete.

I also doubt that Henefeld would've dropped it "to be a good guy." Good guys expose bigotry, they don't paper it over.

So please, drop the anti-Semitic thing. You can hate Mourning & Georgetown as competitors (I still do), but tarring the guy's name with those kinds of accusations is unfair, especially since the guy he supposedly said it too denies that it ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom