UConn #7 in The Athletic's Top-25 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn #7 in The Athletic's Top-25

Reaction Score
From an ESPN article yesterday.

Kansas, Alabama and UConn have all made strong cases to hold the top slot in the preseason rankings. How intense is the race for preseason No. 1 after the withdrawal deadline?

Medcalf: Those three teams all have strong cases for the top spot entering the upcoming season, and their respective slots will come down to preference among voters. It's hard to deny that spot to UConn, which is seeking the first three-peat national title run since UCLA won seven consecutive national championships from 1967 to 1973, after Alex Karaban withdrew from the draft and returned to Storrs. But Kansas has three veterans from last season's team, former Wisconsin star AJ Storrand Zeke Mayo, the Lawrence native who transferred from South Dakota State. That's tough. Still, Nate Oats won big in the portal and Mark Sears, who also withdrew from the draft, will enter next season as a strong Wooden Award candidate. It's a competitive race for No. 1.

Borzello: Just a few weeks ago, there was a pretty sizable gap between Kansas and everyone else for the No. 1 spot. Then UConn landed top-10 recruit Liam McNeeley and Saint Mary's transfer Aidan Mahaney and Alex Karaban withdrew from the draft. And Alabama got Grant Nelson back, signed Rutgers transfer Cliff Omoruyi and had Mark Sears withdraw from the draft. I still lean Kansas. The Jayhawks have the fewest questions, return three starters and added three top-25 transfers. And the Jayhawks are still looking for another piece. But that gap between Kansas and the other contenders is essentially nonexistent now.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is unreasonable. I think we're one of the better teams out there.

I think Kansas as a consensus #1 is wild. Self obviously can coach, but the team doesn't feel like it is going to cohere.... I guess we'll see...
The #1 jinx strikes already. Elmarko Jackson out for the season. Not sure what they were expecting out of him next season or whether they picked up guys in the portal to play over him.

Kansas guard Elmarko Jackson is expected to miss the entire 2024-25 season after suffering a torn patellar tendon, KU coach Bill Self announced Thursday. The injury occurred Wednesday during a workout as the Jayhawks hosted a youth basketball camp.

Isn't today Wednesday?

Reaction Score
By the way, I don't know where else to put this, but hats off to Dan Hurley. When he was hired, I thought it was a pretty good hire, but nowhere near a home run. His Rhode Island teams and his first couple UConn teams were always gritty and tough and you knew you were in for a rock fight. But if your team could make enough buckets, and if your team play good D itself, you had a good chance to win. I didn't necessarily see cohesive team play (e.g., the Bouknight team). But then...WHAM! Hurley did a complete 180 offensively, resulting in perhaps the most dramatic coaching makeover in college basketball history. (Is there a comparison?) The last two years, and especially this past year, the players all move, pass, and create as a single unit -- it was beautiful to watch. One can say this philosophy was always in him, but he just didn't have the players. But is that really true? I think that narrative actually undervalues Hurley's willingness to change and adapt. Coaches are a notoriously stubborn breed.
Who was the driver behind that offensive change, Luke Murray?

awy

Reaction Score
national writers haven't really adjusted to the uconn phenomenon, the big gap in level of scheme and player development between uconn and the rest. they are still stuck in the roster analysis/star counting ways. this results in not properly accounting for the difference in staff.

the question is how erosion resistant is the uconn moat. some of it is public knowledge and can be gleamed from watching tape, but a lot of it takes a long time and planning to build. and it runs counter to the macro NIL led culture. it's an edge that will be maintained.

there are some orgs that are on the way up and should be considered serious threats like alabama but the difference in organizational competence is still huge right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom