UConn #60 in US News Rankings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn #60 in US News Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Everyone who scoffs at Rice, Tulane, and SMU getting a final interview needs to look at this list. TV partners would be much different but from a president's perspective those are top shelf along with UConn.

Reaction Score

UConn Smarter Than Big 12 Competitors
"That’s bad news for Cincinnati (135th), though it did take the top spot in the Ruining Spaghetti and Chili Simultaneously category."

That post is rather short-sighted. UC/USF are premier research institutions which is not at all reflected in the US News & World Reports propaganda. UCF is neither good in research or undergrad so they are probably close to falling off the list for academic reasons. Rice/SMU for athletic reasons.

Reaction Score
That post is rather short-sighted. UC/USF are premier research institutions which is not at all reflected in the US News & World Reports propaganda. UCF is neither good in research or undergrad so they are probably close to falling off the list for academic reasons. Rice/SMU for athletic reasons.

You would rather this Academic Rankings of World Universities propaganda instead? ;) ? Maybe they can average them.

Reaction Score
You would rather this Academic Rankings of World Universities propaganda instead? ;) ? Maybe they can average them.

No I think they're all mostly propaganda. But I think academic rankings should factor research activity as a significant component of overall ranking. The world rankings are almost entirely on research, and the US News are almost entirely on undergrad (and made up metrics.) There's no balance.

Reaction Score
OUR AAU exclusion ... and there seems to have been very little ingress or egress since 1995 ... is that we are in the same state as Yale. It's hard to weigh what that sucking of research dollars does to UConn; but, that is not what Kansas nor Purdue nor Illinois face.

Reaction Score
OUR AAU exclusion ... and there seems to have been very little ingress or egress since 1995 ... is that we are in the same state as Yale. It's hard to weigh what that sucking of research dollars does to UConn; but, that is not what Kansas nor Purdue nor Illinois face.
Is it not true that many of the grants going to UConn are also split with Yale. We get the grants because Yale is getting some of the money.

Reaction Score
I can't believe no one is complaining about Georgia being #56.
Georgia?

Vanderbilt and Florida, fine. But Georgia?
UGA is, and has been, a really good school. Their Grad programs are even better.

What an odd comment

Reaction Score
Is it not true that many of the grants going to UConn are also split with Yale. We get the grants because Yale is getting some of the money.

Maybe.

But this AAU "club", like the Power 5 in Football, is a Cartel like operation. And it locked the door in the mid 1990s ... and we have grown significantly since then. OR ... some schools have exploded since then. Therefore, this little thing is something to hate.

Reaction Score
UGA is, and has been, a really good school. Their Grad programs are even better.

What an odd comment

Ditto U Florida at #50. A very good school with a lot of research dollars; but, the shenanigans within the football program makes it look like kindergarten cops.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Totally. 1950s kicked ass as long as you weren't black, Latino, gay, a woman, poor or basically anyone but a upper, to upper middle class white dude.

I don't know if the 1950's were better or if today is better. But I do know that we spend waaaaay too much on income redistribution today.

America is all about equal opportunity, not equal results.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the 1950's were better or if today is better. But I do know that we spend waaaaay too much on income redistribution today.

America is all about equal opportunity, not equal results.

This is not the right place for this, but there is less redistribution than ever before. We are at a low point. Back then, tax rates were much higher. We are under 20% tax to GDP at this point, but the military budget hasn't shrunk. Less on education since the GI Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom