UConn 57th in First NET Rankings | The Boneyard

UConn 57th in First NET Rankings

Reaction Score
The NCAA released a new evaluating metric to replace RPI, and the first calculation has UConn at 57th, fourth best in the conference behind Houston (18), Cincy (46) and UCF (49). The full rankings can be found here: DI Men's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com

How the rankings are determined:
1543253501844.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
It's early, but Gonzaga's neutral site win against Duke should severely outweigh Ohio State's road wins against Cinci and Creighton. Road wins are important, but overrated in this metric.

Reaction Score
I'd call this the GOS rankings- Grain of Salt rankings- at this point in the season.
I'd agree. But in the thread I started that had the other rankings, it did have roughly the same order for the AAC. UConn is pretty much 4/5 in the conference (with Temple) and right on the bubble line in every one.

Keep winning. They'll have their chances.

Reaction Score
Takeaways...

System emphasizes wins and raw scoring margin. Our lack of road games might get us in the end, but we're in a good spot with this schedule for that reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am guilty of it too. This weekend I saw Joe Lunardi release his "S-Curve" and he had Syracuse as the number 33 team. They are 3-2, with losses to the only two good teams they have played. I was like what???

It is a long season, and we have to let things play out. Usually beginning of January is when RPI and KenPom were more reliable, and I am sure that will be the same with NET. But it does heavily focus on winning games away from home, and not losing home games.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Since when is the scoring margin based on the opponent's score subtracted from a winning team score?

Damned analytics!!

Reactions: pj

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Is this the first release of this ranking?
I can't be bothered with understanding all this new fangled crap
I can't believe Houston is that good - Ive seen both Cinci and UCF and both have huge liabilities - not saying UConn is better but they are beatable
Kentucky is too high - I am serious - they look hideous

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm surprised no-one has written a computer program yet to apply it to past seasons, and see where we are under Hurley this year as compared to where we were at this point in the season under Ollie last year.

Reaction Score
At least they are being transparent with this. Looks like rankings will now be available daily.

The release of the NET rankings comes 20 days into the season and on the precipice of a lot of significant games this week. The rankings from here on out will be available to the public and will update daily. While the NET will surely get the most discussion of any analytic ranking (given it's officially linked to the NCAA), it is also important to remember that it is not the be-all and end-all of rankings/metrics. It is only one system. It's an important one, and now the most prominent one, but the NCAA will continue to have many of the most mainstream and cited advanced metrics also published on team sheets (KenPom, the Sagarin Ratings, KPI, and ESPN's pair of analytics: BPI and Strength of Record).

NCAA's new NET rankings debut: Ohio State shockingly No. 1 with Duke No. 6 and Kentucky No. 61

Reaction Score
Think it’s also important to note that this is the first ever net ranking released, so it’s sure to be adjusted moving forward in future seasons. I’m sure they’ve tested these rankings with past seasons, but likely focused more so on end of season results. Based off what I’ve been reading from other posters, the fact that road games are weighted so heavily would skew the results early on pretty hard, since lots of teams (like uconn!) haven’t played any true road games, just tournament games at neutral sites and home games against easy competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom