UConn @ #5/#16 Virginia (Friday 2/19/21 @ 3p > Saturday 2/20/21 @ 1p & Sunday 2/21/20 @ 1p -- All Games streamed on ACC Network Extra/ACCNX) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn @ #5/#16 Virginia (Friday 2/19/21 @ 3p > Saturday 2/20/21 @ 1p & Sunday 2/21/20 @ 1p -- All Games streamed on ACC Network Extra/ACCNX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to mention we were competitive. We lost by 1 lousy run. This team started with an ugly loss to Cal Poly last year in perfect weather conditions and rebounded against michigan shortly thereafter. Bats were off but that wasn’t exactly a tomato can on the mound. Plus penders is what someone said 4-14 in openers and he has done ok.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Streamed the game...pitcher's duel.

Will be interesting to see how the pitchers after the Friday pitcher play out.

Impressed with the Husky starter...

Reaction Score
Virginia's Abbot, with nine strike outs, was tough opposition.

Reaction Score
From Baseball America’s 10 Takeaways from Opening Day:

-> Abbott Thrives in Starting Role

After dominating in a relief role last season, putting up a 1.35 ERA and 28 strikeouts in 13.1 innings, and then somewhat surprisingly going undrafted last summer, fourth-year junior lefthander Andrew Abbott returned to Virginia for the 2021 season and began the process of becoming a starter.

It’s just one game, but so far, the move is going swimmingly. Against Connecticut on Friday, Abbott threw 5.2 scoreless innings, giving up two hits and one walk with nine strikeouts in a 2-1 win for the fifth-ranked Cavaliers. The nine strikeouts are a career-high for Abbott, and he ran through the finish line, retiring the final nine batters he faced.

Virginia has a surplus of starting options to choose from. In addition to Abbott, they also bring back righthanders Griff McGarry and Mike Vasil (both of whom are set to take the ball this weekend against the Huskies), and lefthander Nate Savino. That type of rotation depth will always give the coaching staff the latitude to move Abbott back to his relief role if he struggles as the season goes on, but after Friday, it’s hard to feel anything but incredibly optimistic about the lefty as a starting pitcher. <-

Reaction Score
Lineup:
Bushling (SS)
Stock (LF)
P. Winkel (DH)
K. Fedko (RF)
Crawford (1B)
C. Fedko (2B)
C. Winkel (CF)
Devenney (C)
Brown (3B)

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The UVA pitcher we face today has great stuff, but has control issues. A patient approach might be beneficial, with some clutch hitting to capitalize on opportunities.

Reaction Score
The UVA pitcher we face today has great stuff, but has control issues. A patient approach might be beneficial, with some clutch hitting to capitalize on opportunities.
Just under a walk per inning on his career

Reaction Score

Chris Jones commented during yesterday's game that many of the Virginia pitchers (especially out of the bullpen) may have good stuff, but they also are prone to potential control issues. We'll just have to see what happens with strike zone control.

Reaction Score
Today is the ultimate split attention day for the UConn sports fan. UConn baseball at 1pm, Men's and women's basketball at 1 and 3, men's soccer at 2pm, and men's ice hockey at 4. I very well might have missed something, but that is enough right there for me.

Reaction Score
Today is the ultimate split attention day for the UConn sports fan. UConn baseball at 1pm, Men's and women's basketball at 1 and 3, men's soccer at 2pm, and men's ice hockey at 4. I very well might have missed something, but that is enough right there for me.
Yes - watching the basketball. I'm happy I can get WHUS in the tv room. Sometimes I can't. Hopefully the women will have no trouble at Xavier - then I can concentrate on hockey. Let's gooooooo!

Reaction Score
Top 1st, UConn strands runners on the corners. Two singles (Stock and Pat Winkel) for the Huskies but no runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom