Uconn 2016/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nobody should be leaving early for the NBA.

Starting 5:
Purvis
Adams
Hamilton
Brimah
Facey

Reserves:
All the new comers and Cassell Jr
I wouldn't count on RP as other posters have noted he is probably going to play ball to Europe next year.

Reaction Score

Starting 5:
Purvis
Adams
Hamilton
Brimah
Facey

Reserves:
I sure hope KF isn't our starting PF next year. I have seen next to nothing to warrant being a starter on a legitimate NCAA tournament team.

Reaction Score
Don't you remember? This game was a must win and we didn't win, so now the season is over.

Or so I'm told.
I think some people don't have much confidence in us beating SMU away even though Tulane is giving them a game today. Well at least in the first half they were. LOL!

Reaction Score
Not sure why we do this year in and year out seemingly but...while our lineup will likely look great again on paper next year, we're still losing our best player (yes, Shonn Miller is our best player), along with Gibbs/Omar and Phil. Not to mention Purvis is likely gone as well. Yes, we'll have talent, but in order for next years team to be special I think Jalen's sophomore year leap will have to be something spectacular - which I optimistically believe can happen.

Reaction Score
Not sure why we do this year in and year out seemingly but...while our lineup will likely look great again on paper next year, we're still losing our best player (yes, Shonn Miller is our best player), along with Gibbs/Omar and Phil. Not to mention Purvis is likely gone as well. Yes, we'll have talent, but in order for next years team to be special I think Jalen's sophomore year leap will have to be something spectacular - which I optimistically believe can happen.
Addition by subtraction is everyone's hope. I don't think losing the other 4 players make much of a difference. Now losing SM is going to hurt unless SE can step up his post game next year or the guy from Putnam is better than advertised scoring inside. We need some balance inside and outside next year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Didn't like Purvis' game on day 1. Don't like his game, which is unchanged from day 1, now. It's hard to win with a streaky guy as a main cog, and a guy who is prone to 1-4 bonehead plays a game and who has a gunner mentality, by which I mean, he's thinking "score" 80% of the time he's on the court.

Wish him well, to be sure, and I thank him for his time at UConn - but I'm really looking forward to a new mix of players next year. Really, Really.

And the moment I figured the game was lost was when Adams or DHam drove and kicked out to Purvis with a minute or two left - no defender within 10 feet when he caught it. No defender even moved toward him because it was so obvious they would not be able to get within 5 feet before the shot went up.

Misses by about a foot and a half.

That was the defining play and point?
Or was it because RP was the shooter?

Reaction Score
You're wrong. He's leaving, it's the right move for Rodney and UConn.
As inconsistent as he has been, we better all prey Purvis comes back. If Purvis leaves we have two serviceable guards on the entire roster and one will be a freshman. Adams and Gilbert will have to play almost every minute of every game with Sam Cassell as the only backup for them both. Not a good look.

We also won't have a single legit shooting guard (who can actually shoot) until at least 2017 when we will have a freshman trying to learn the system. I have no idea why KO hasn't recruited another guard for 16. If Purv leaves we have 3 centers, 3 power forwards, 3 small forwards and only 2 total serviceable guards (both point guards). Makes no sense to me. Even with Purvis we only have three legit guards next season, better prey no one gets hurt next year and also hope that our freshman guards in 2017 are able to make a decent contribution right away.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
As inconsistent as he has been, we better all prey Purvis comes back. If Purvis leaves we have two serviceable guards on the entire roster and one will be a freshman. Adams and Gilbert will have to play almost every minute of every game with Sam Cassell as the only backup for them both. Not a good look.

We also won't have a single legit shooting guard (who can actually shoot) until at least 2017 when we will have a freshman trying to learn the system. I have no idea why KO hasn't recruited another guard for 16. If Purv leaves we have 3 centers, 3 power forwards, 3 small forwards and only 2 total serviceable guards (both point guards). Makes no sense to me. Even with Purvis we only have three legit guards next season, better prey no one gets hurt next year and also hope that our freshman guards in 2017 are able to make a decent contribution right away.
oh-lord_o_883234.jpg

Reaction Score
Purvis isn't coming back. Starting 5 will be Alterique, Adams, Hamilton, Enoch, and Brimah. Looking forward to it!
John, so I assume you're saying Rodney to Europe? I also hope he's gone or I'm afraid not enough changes next year. Looking forward to the new class and the breath of fresh air they hopefully bring.

Reaction Score
John, so I assume you're saying Rodney to Europe? I also hope he's gone or I'm afraid not enough changes next year. Looking forward to the new class and the breath of fresh air they hopefully bring.
You are hoping away our best perimeter defender, a 40% 3pt shooter, a guy who bleeds blue, and who tied with Miller as our leading scorer when, as @Thirty Three points out, we'll only have Adams and Gilbert besides him there...

Reaction Score
You are hoping away our best perimeter defender, a 40% 3pt shooter, a guy who bleeds blue, and who tied with Miller as our leading scorer when, as @Thirty Three points out, we'll only have Adams and Gilbert besides him there...
Yes. I've seen enough of the Ferrari after two years to tell me it won't drive any better in year 3.

Reaction Score
Yes. I've seen enough of the Ferrari after two years to tell me it won't drive any better in year 3.
Yesterday was on Purvis? How about the fact that we have only one person who can consistently beat his man off the dribble (Adams) and that kid is a freshman who can't (yet) shoot.

I'll take Purvis another year, provided Adams improves and Gilbert can get into the paint.

Reaction Score
So you'd rather have a guard rotation of Adams, Gilbert and Cassell over Adams, Gilbert and Purvis?
No, obviously we need another guard, if not two. My main point is, as dicsussed in another thread, Rodney will be 23 next year. His value to the team in my opinion is to be a role player who plays great D, hits an occasional three and attacks in transition when possible. Does a guy with pro aspirations want to sign on for that? We've seen enough evidence of what happens when RP is relied upon to be a star. I love so much about him and his character but afraid we'll continue to see more of the same infuriating play next year. I'd rather see Alterique and Jalen get big minutes and build for the future than another year of missed layups and frustration.

Reaction Score

Starting 5:
Purvis
Adams
Hamilton
Brimah
Facey

Reserves:

If Facey's our starting 4, we are in serious, serious trouble.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Larrier would be starting, lets be serious. We can also assume that as good as Gilbert is, he's probably not going to start out of the gate.

I'd assume the starting lineup would be:
Adams
Purvis
Hamilton
Larrier
Brimah

Enoch will be the first big off the bench with Facey getting some minutes here and there.
Gilbert will be the first guard off the bench.

I think that's pretty much it. Maybe Jackson/Diarra sneak in some minutes early against some bad teams, but they wont play much I wouldn't think. I'm also assuming Durham is a red-shirt.

That 8 man rotation will work. Hamilton and Larrier can both play some 4 if needed, and Adams can play off the ball if needed.

Reaction Score
It would be interesting facing smaller teams if we stuck Hamilton at the 4, Bimah, Larrier at the 3, and then Jalen and Alterique....I like that lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom