UConn 2004 vs UConn 2024 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn 2004 vs UConn 2024

Reaction Score
I'd say both teams were equally dominant in their eras.

But 2024 is a spectacularly terrible mismatch for 2004. All of the things that made 2004 tick, 2024 has the perfect answer. Emeka's physical dominance and rebounding? Oh, how about this 7'2 Unicorn that will gobble up Emeka and neutralize him completely. Dynamic score-first 6'2 Guard Ben Gordon? Stick 6'6 beast Stephon Castle on him and make his life miserable. And 2024's positional versatility and shooting would make it really hard for Emeka to plug all the gaps.

2024 78-65 over 2004

Reaction Score
2024 team was better. Clingan would have shutdown Okafor. 7,2 vs 6’9. Castle defense would have been trouble for Gordon.
This idea is so crazy. I love Clingan, but the truth is He is no more dominant a defender than Thabeet was. No one thought Thatbeet would shutdown Okafor.

Before you trash Thabeet, 1) National Defensive Player of the Year, 2) #2 NBA Draft pick overall, in a much tougher Draft 3) 7"3" 260lb.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Real question. Out of 10 games which coach gets ejected the most?
Funny enough, I only remember Hurley being rejected from one game since he’s been here? The Villanova game.

I don’t think he’s been ejected once on the championship runs as crazy as that sounds.

Calhoun used to purposefully looked to get ejected from games at times. Lol

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I never said otherwise. I loved watching BG take over games (Alabama comes to mind), but for 2004 to win, it seems like he'd have to somewhat considerably outscore his average vs one of the best perimeter defenders in program history.

Those guys aren't as talented as Ben but every one of them will at least have a cup of coffee in the league. Olivari has struggled in summer league I guess so maybe he's the exception.

Ben G at MSG in '04 BET was ridiculous.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This idea is so crazy. I love Clingan, but the truth is He is no more dominant a defender than Thabeet was. No one thought Thatbeet would shutdown Okafor.

Before you trash Thabeet, 1) National Defensive Player of the Year, 2) #2 NBA Draft pick overall, in a much tougher Draft 3) 7"3" 260lb.
I think what makes Donovan better is his ability to not have silly fouls. He also seemed to have a stronger base in general.

If he was healthy and played as many minutes as Thabeet did he could’ve been NDPOY, too.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Okafor being out with back spasms opened up the middle for Ben.

Ben was averaging 17 a game and Calhoun was still telling him he had another level to get to at the start of the video.

And that’s what you loved about Calhoun. He was going to make sure he got the absolute most out of any talented player that he had here. He wasn’t going to settle on what a guy was capable of doing.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
2024 is probably our best team ever, all things considered.

BUT a lot of people forgetting how good that 04 team was, including junior year Emeka and Ben.

Clingan and Castle were great this year, but college ball in 2004, whom that team dominated when healthy, was very high level.

Reaction Score

It’s an interesting comparison. There was more value put on bigs in the draft back then, so hard to truly compare based on where drafted.

There is no denying Thabeet defensively, although it felt different. He got his blocks in spades, but I never felt like he changed the floor as much as Donovan. And Don is so savvy on the offensive end as the high point/pick and as a passer. It’s truly undervalued.

Reaction Score
As awesome as Hurley is, Calhoun to me is the best single game coach of all time.
Calhoun is the only coach I can think of that got the better of Coach K.
One game, it's 2004. But 10? I take 2024.
Also, 2006 and any of the 1994-1996 teams would win at least a couple against either. And of course 1999 could be better than both.

Reaction Score
Funny enough, I only remember Hurley being rejected from one game since he’s been here? The Villanova game.

I don’t think he’s been ejected once on the championship runs as crazy as that sounds.

Calhoun used to purposefully looked to get ejected from games at times. Lol
How many games was Calhoun ejected from? My memory may be a bit cloudy from those days but I don’t remember even one.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure who wins 99 or 04. 99 team was ranked #1 best team in the last 25 years prior to 23/24. 99 was all about winning. 04 has more firepower sure.

Us Uconn fans all have blue colored glasses, we have our own personal favorites, our opinions are vastly skewed.

The majority of the outsiders say 24 Uconn is the best team hands down since UNLV, no questions asked.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How many games was Calhoun ejected from? My memory may be a bit cloudy from those days but I don’t remember even one.
I’m not sure there’s a database for it. But Calhoun was for sure ejected a few times. I think coaches in general may have been ejected more back in those days.

Sometimes purposeful to fire up their teams. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach get ejected now that I think about it in todays game lol

Probably the referees trying to not make the game about them because there’s a few times Hurley probably deserved one.

Reaction Score
Predicting the outcome of hypothetical games between the 2004 and 2024 UConn men's basketball teams involves a lot of speculation, as it depends on various factors such as team dynamics, individual player skills, coaching strategies, and the style of play in each era.

The 2004 UConn team, which won the NCAA championship, was renowned for its dominant defense, strong rebounding, and the presence of stars like Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon. They were a physically imposing team with a solid inside presence and reliable scoring options.

The 2024 UConn team would have the advantages of modern training techniques, potentially more athleticism, and perhaps more sophisticated offensive schemes due to advancements in coaching strategies. However, they would also have to contend with the physicality and disciplined defense of the 2004 team.

Considering these factors, if the two teams played 10 times, a reasonable prediction might be:

• 2004 UConn: 6 wins
  • 2024 UConn: 4 wins

This assumes the 2004 team's championship experience and physical dominance would give them a slight edge, but the 2024 team’s modern athleticism and tactics could secure several victories.
Modern athleticism? 2004 was more athletic and physically stronger than 2024. 2024 was the better team.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure who wins 99 or 04. 99 team was ranked #1 best team in the last 25 years prior to 23/24. 99 was all about winning. 04 has more firepower sure.

Us Uconn fans all have blue colored glasses, we have our own personal favorites, our opinions are vastly skewed.

The majority of the outsiders say 24 Uconn is the best team hands down since UNLV, no questions asked.

I'm one of the people that thinks '99 beats '04.

Reaction Score
2024 is probably our best team ever, all things considered.

BUT a lot of people forgetting how good that 04 team was, including junior year Emeka and Ben.

Clingan and Castle were great this year, but college ball in 2004, whom that team dominated when healthy, was very high level.

I don't think people are forgetting it. I think people have a healthy respect for that team, which was clearly among the best 4 or 5 in the history of the program. And when they were cooking they were scary. But people also had concerns about whether Gordon could be "the guy" as late as the BET that year when Okafor was having back issues. Calhoun was still playing mind games with him through the media. There were 5 or 6 teams thought to have a better shot at winning the whole thing when the tournament started. I think you have to consider the dominance of last year's team, who dogwalked everyone in their path, to the point that some Northwestern alums at our house a few weeks after the tournament were bragging that they only lost by 17 in a game that was 40-18 at halftime.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don't think people are forgetting it. I think people have a healthy respect for that team, which was clearly among the best 4 or 5 in the history of the program. And when they were cooking they were scary. But people also had concerns about whether Gordon could be "the guy" as late as the BET that year when Okafor was having back issues. Calhoun was still playing mind games with him through the media. There were 5 or 6 teams thought to have a better shot at winning the whole thing when the tournament started. I think you have to consider the dominance of last year's team, who dogwalked everyone in their path, to the point that some Northwestern alums at our house a few weeks after the tournament were bragging that they only lost by 17 in a game that was 40-18 at halftime.

Totally agree with most of what you said. And I would say definitively that 2024 was more consistent and locked in, and that combined with their dominance gives them the upper hand. But the consensus always seemed to be 04 was the most dominant and talented team ever, just inconsistent. It seems people are losing that mindset the further away it gets.

That team was loaded, it was just more up and down with injuries, etc. Losing Okafor was like 24 losing Clingan plus another starter. Other than Duke in the F4, 04 killed everyone in that tourney. Duke was LOADED beyond anything this years team played. I think overall teams’ talent levels were stronger in 2004.

I’d probably choose 2024 in a series, but I also think there’s recency bias on the board and a bit of young people thinking the athletes were that different 20 years ago. Sophomore Clingan and frosh Castle were incredible, but Okafor was the best player in the country. Ben Gordon was the 3rd overall pick and an instant high level scorer in the NBA. That team was loaded with NBA talent into the bench.

Neither team is smacking the other, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
2004 wasn’t ancient history don’t try to make me feel old, I’m 41. They would be the 2nd best team in 2024 I’ll give them that. I say the double digit streak does end but maybe not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom