UConn +10 vs. Houston | The Boneyard

UConn +10 vs. Houston

Reaction Score
The money line has us as 5-to-1 underdogs. It's been an encouraging season overall; we've been much more competitive against good teams than in the past two seasons, even if the wins haven't exactly followed just yet. A loss today against a very good Houston team wouldn't change that, so long as the team fights and competes for 40 minutes.

A WIN today, on the other hand, and we've suddenly got a live season on our hands. All the building for the future talk will go out the window and we'll find ourselves completely caught up in THIS year and getting two more wins to make the dance. It will be March again!

So what are our challenges?
*Houston is a better team than us. The 10-point line is not coming out of left field.
*We lost by 8 at home. We've not been so great away from home this year.
*Free-throw shooting: Houston put us on the line for 25 shots in our first game and we converted an abysmal 56%. I don't expect them to make it easy on Carlton around the rim. We need to convert, but this has been an ongoing struggle.
*Houston will be more rested. But as someone else on the board pointed out, our foul trouble against USF (Carlton, Adams) may actually help us out here tomorrow.
*We shot really well from 3 against USF, so there's a chance guys start jacking up 3s in the early going rather than taking time and working for the open shot. If that happens, things could get ugly in a hurry.

And what's to like?
*You'd better believe Hurley and Adams are already in do-or-die March mode. Houston is just playing for seed.
*We lost by 8 without Adams or Gilbert. Adams is back.
*Carlton has probably improved more in the past month than any other player on either team.
*We've had a game to acclimate to the court and environment. Houston hasn't. Familiarity with the shooting sightlines may be worth a bit to us in shooting percentage.
*Memphis's game is immediately after ours. Memphis fans would much prefer to see us on Saturday instead of Houston, assuming they can beat UCF. If we can keep it close into the second half, the arena is going to fill in and I'd imagine the fans are going to root like hell for us to take out Houston for them. This could give us a big boost and potentially sway a few important calls by the zebras towards the good guys in the closing minutes.

The season's not over yet. We know this team is capable of playing good teams close -- they've done it time and again this year. Let's see if they can break through and pull out a marquee win. GO UCONN!!

Reaction Score
I think this is a winnable game. We looked like a different team yesterday for the most part and I liked it. We just have to have good D against this team and hit our shots. Jalen cannot foul out this game that changes our momentum dramatically and we saw that yesterday.

Reaction Score
*We shot really well from 3 against USF, so there's a chance guys start jacking up 3s in the early going rather than taking time and working for the open shot. If that happens, things could get ugly in a hurry.

Love your whole analysis. But from the above paragraph, I will say Hurley will not let that happen. Post Shabazz year til this year, I can see that happening. Hurley has complete control on this, well, he still has to reel CV back sometimes, but when you shoot like yesterday, you give him a small bit of slack. Just praise the ability to get open looks and don’t hesitate.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
UConn hit 7 threes vs Houston. You're probably confusing the previous USF game.

Hopefully we can hit more than 0 three's this time around.

Reaction Score
Forgot to check before I left for work...what channel is it on today? thanks

Reaction Score
Love your whole analysis. But from the above paragraph, I will say Hurley will not let that happen. Post Shabazz year til this year, I can see that happening. Hurley has complete control on this, well, he still has to reel CV back sometimes, but when you shoot like yesterday, you give him a small bit of slack. Just praise the ability to get open looks and don’t hesitate.
CV was very in control versus USF. He didn't jack up a bunch of early threes and deffered to Adams and Smith who were hot. Be nice to see that again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Like I've said, we've got a puncher's chance. Best thing to do is keep punching...

Pride. Heart. UConn.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
no chance huskies even keep it close. cougs by 30.

(DOOMED)

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how I can watch this game in Mexico?

Reaction Score
If we don't do it-could happened in opening game of the NCAA's for Houston. Northeastern :)

Reaction Score
Line is moving a lot in favor of Houston, +12 and UConn +625 ML right now.

Reaction Score
The money line has us as 5-to-1 underdogs. It's been an encouraging season overall; we've been much more competitive against good teams than in the past two seasons, even if the wins haven't exactly followed just yet. A loss today against a very good Houston team wouldn't change that, so long as the team fights and competes for 40 minutes.

A WIN today, on the other hand, and we've suddenly got a live season on our hands. All the building for the future talk will go out the window and we'll find ourselves completely caught up in THIS year and getting two more wins to make the dance. It will be March again!

So what are our challenges?
*Houston is a better team than us. The 10-point line is not coming out of left field.
*We lost by 8 at home. We've not been so great away from home this year.
*Free-throw shooting: Houston put us on the line for 25 shots in our first game and we converted an abysmal 56%. I don't expect them to make it easy on Carlton around the rim. We need to convert, but this has been an ongoing struggle.
*Houston will be more rested. But as someone else on the board pointed out, our foul trouble against USF (Carlton, Adams) may actually help us out here tomorrow.

And what's to like?
*You'd better believe Hurley and Adams are already in do-or-die March mode. Houston is just playing for seed.
*We lost by 8 without Adams or Gilbert. Adams is back.
*Carlton has probably improved more in the past month than any other player on either team.
*We've had a game to acclimate to the court and environment. Houston hasn't. Familiarity with the shooting sightlines may be worth a bit to us in shooting percentage.
*Memphis's game is immediately after ours. Memphis fans would much prefer to see us on Saturday instead of Houston, assuming they can beat UCF. If we can keep it close into the second half, the arena is going to fill in and I'd imagine the fans are going to root like hell for us to take out Houston for them. This could give us a big boost and potentially sway a few important calls by the zebras towards the good guys in the closing minutes.

The season's not over yet. We know this team is capable of playing good teams close -- they've done it time and again this year. Let's see if they can break through and pull out a marquee win. GO UCONN!!

I think you lay out all of the arguments concerning how an upset can be sprung here. The crowd will be behind us should we be in the game, late.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom