UCONN #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN #1

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The rest of the country was hoping UConn was another year away. Sorry, not sorry. I think this is LOL funny.
I don't think the rest of the country will be this shaken or impressed by this. The last time UCONN was not ranked #1 at some point during the season is 2011-12 season where UCONN was ranked as high as #2. There were also 5 different teams SC, Oregon, UCONN, Stanford , and Baylor ranked #1 at some point during last season-which makes Dawn hanging a #1 banner even more odd. UCONN is also the 4th #1 team so far this season. It will be an interesting S curve and tournament this season where any of the top 16 teams to be announced later tonight could win it all.

Reaction Score
Am sorry but as much as I am a fan of this school and team I don't believe that they are the best team in the country. That has a lot to do with the teams that we play. The American the Big East there is no difference. Tough games against Tennessee and South Carolina. The team has been Saved by the Bell in Paige way to often. Under double digit scoring in various periods that's not good. However, I am happy for them and will give them my support.

Nice support!

Reaction Score
Almost any team in top ten could be No 1. That is why they hold a tournament

Reaction Score
Well there is five or so that can beat us if we are off on that night, but if we play UConn basketball, then yes only Stanford I believe can match us. They are on ESPN 2 tonight against Oregon for those that haven’t watched them that much. I have the west coast pac ten channels and have seen them plenty. They don’t jump out at you, but they are talented and they play together. Us at our best and then at their best.....we win. It’s just we can’t be off against them or we probably come up short. But I believe that works the other way around also.
There are far more than five times that can beat UConn, as evidenced by your loss to a team without a player over 6’1”.

I understand this is foremost a UConn fan board, and I agree the Huskies are rightfully ranked #1 right now. I’d also venture to say that the last few times the team entered the tournament ranked #1, things didn’t end so well for them.

UConn, South Carolina, Stanford, Louisville, NC State, Texas A&M, and Maryland all have non-negligible chances of winning a title. It’s a wide open year.

Reaction Score
Almost any year a good team can defeat a better team if they shoot out of their minds and the other doesn't. I watched both the DePaul/Seton Hall and Stanford/Oregon games last night and laughed when I noticed both games used Nike balls ? .

And I laughed hard when Geno said that maybe they should put up a banner for being #1.

Reaction Score
We're #1. It's changed so often. I'll be much happier if we're #1 after the NC Tournament.
Agreed. At least were in the discussion for a high or highest seed. Being in this discussion at this point in the season is much better than Dec. We have grown well and have much better depth than in recent years. We are also young with a lot of up-side.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Maybe Dawn will let us hang a #1 banner in Columbia......?
I think someone at UConn should put up a statue of A'ja Nike (clearly labeled, as I don't know anybody who would recognize her). Maybe even just a snowwoman, but widely publicized on social media.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think it's wide open. Any one of six or seven teams could win the national championship.
Agreed. But it seems to me that this year there are at least 20 teams that could knock anyone off if the higher seed isn't quite right and the lower seed is firing on all cylinders. South Dakota and Gonzaga were both in their games against South Carolina. Mizzou State beat Maryland, who went around and thumped Arkansas, who beat UConn.

Is it a little angsty for this UConn fan? Yeah, a little, but geez, I'm gonna LOVE this postseason (FSM willing).

Reaction Score
I love SC but even I can admit we shouldn’t be No. 1 after a loss to the then-No. 2 team.
I said that because it has happened before. In 2000 UConn was No.1 with Tennessee No.2. The Vols won the game but the poll stayed the same.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I said that because it has happened before. In 2000 UConn was No.1 with Tennessee No.2. The Vols won the game but the poll stayed the same.
I'm thinking not having a more recent example would be a tip-off to those on the fence. This is the one time in two decades you want to give it to the loser? One who had to hit a mid-court bomb to tie at halftime? One who was only in position to win by a horrible turnover by the winner? And still couldn't get it done? And failed in overtime? And blamed it on the ball? Are you kidding me?

Reaction Score
I just want them to have the NCAA tournament this year. I think the teams deserve it for all they've put up with this year to keep the season going.

Reaction Score
Am sorry but as much as I am a fan of this school and team I don't believe that they are the best team in the country. That has a lot to do with the teams that we play. The American the Big East there is no difference. Tough games against Tennessee and South Carolina. The team has been Saved by the Bell in Paige way to often. Under double digit scoring in various periods that's not good. However, I am happy for them and will give them my support.
Hard to tell which team is the best this year with the Covid distorting everything. I agree that UCONN looks pretty lackluster at times against some rather mediocre teams. They seem to depend on Paige a little too much. If she has a bad night (like everyone does at one time or another) in the tournament then it could be a real struggle.

I'd like to see Geno schedule a game against Texas A&M before the season's over.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm thinking not having a more recent example would be a tip-off to those on the fence. This is the one time in two decades you want to give it to the loser? One who had to hit a mid-court bomb to tie at halftime? One who was only in position to win by a horrible turnover by the winner? And still couldn't get it done? And failed in overtime? And blamed it on the ball? Are you kidding me?
Yeah and the winning team played such a perfect game. If your going to point out the losers mistakes at least have the guts to point out the winners! At least that's what people who really know the game would do! Yes the team I follow won the game but South Carolina is the better team! UConn had the best player. If the 3 Jrs don't pick it up. The FF is out of the question.

Reaction Score
Stanford actually is the one team that can beat us if we don’t become a little more cohesive. I do expect us to do so like most years. Imagine these freshman going for five titles to out do the Stewart years.
Stanford is not the one team. There are several this year. In the tournament, it is dangerous to rely on one player for such a large % of a team’s offense, one off night by that shooter and it’s an early ticket home. The teams that will go deep likely have 3-4 players that on Any given night lead their team, and I count about 4-5 of those type teams this season. Right now, UCONN relies heavily on the perimeter shooting game, and much of that burden rests on the shoulders of one player. She will be the center of attention of every opponent. One “off” night by that player will be devastating against the better teams. Witness the home game vs. SC, it took an unbelievable stretch of amazing shooting by one player alone to force the OT. All of those shots will not fall in every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom