UConn #1 AAC Preseason Coaches Poll Napheesa POY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn #1 AAC Preseason Coaches Poll Napheesa POY

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I dunno. He sounds miffed: . "Not that we have a lot of reasonable coaches in our league because not everybody voted for Lou for first team all-league. I guess you have to do something better than be Co-Player of the Year the year before to have everyone vote for you first team." Quote from Adamec article cited above.
Yea, I read that quote, and it only makes me more suspicious that Geno didn’t vote for Lou. It reminds me of Claude Rains in Casablanca claiming, “I’m shocked, shocked to find there’s gambling going on in here.”

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Preseason Player of the Year
Napheesa Collier, Jr., F, UConn

Seriously, can Collier be Player of the Year and not be a starter? Has any Player of the Year ever been a non-starter? Those poor rubes; the AAC Conf. coaches are soooooo clueless. They don't even know she will be riding the pine this year. Collier will not start let alone be Player of the Year. :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby was voted number 1, Alliyah 2, Pheesa 3, Lou 4 and Kitsa 5 by the Coaches.
But Gabby and Pheesa were unanimous, and Aliyah wasn’t. How can Butts be ahead of Collier?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seriously, can Collier be Player of the Year and not be a starter? Has any Play of the Year ever been a non-starter? Those poor rubes; the AAC Conf. coaches are soooooo clueless. They don't even know she will be riding the pine this year. Collier will not start let alone be Player of the Year. :rolleyes: :D
Really bizarre post. :cool:

Reaction Score
Seriously, can Collier be Player of the Year and not be a starter? Has any Play of the Year ever been a non-starter? Those poor rubes; the AAC Conf. coaches are soooooo clueless. They don't even know she will be riding the pine this year. Collier will not start let alone be Player of the Year. :rolleyes: :D
Seriously, who said Collier will not start?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seriously, who said Collier will not start?
There are a few, let’s just call them outliers, here on the boneyard that have been pitching a starting lineup of Lou, Gabby, Kia, Danger & Z with Pheesa coming off the bench. There’s also another version with Pheesa starting and Gabby coming off the bench.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
But Gabby and Pheesa were unanimous, and Aliyah wasn’t. How can Butts be ahead of Collier?

Not Alliyah Butts.....Alliyah Gregory - UCF. My first post has the last names, and schools.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not Alliyah Butts.....Alliyah Gregory - UCF. My first post has the last names, and schools.
Sorry, wrong Aliyah. But the point is the same: How is Gregory #2 and Collier #3, when Collier was unanimous and Gregory wasn’t? Am I missing something?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Collier was voted the AAC preseason POY. I think we're all OK with that selection. It is perceived by many that she will have a better junior year than she did as a sophomore. Her numbers are expected to go up across the board. She will be more comfortable, and more focused in her approach to the game. My question is IF..................Napheesa is not the POY for the American, who will be? One of her UConn teammates, or player from another program? :rolleyes: Will Collier be the team's leading scorer this year (she should be among the top 3), or will it be Lou or possibly AZ? Who is going to take the most shots this year for Geno? Lou and who else?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I’m just taking a wild guess here, but Lou not a unanimous 1st team choice and the Huskies getting 11/12 votes for the top team in the league, could it be the little Italian guy wanted to push a few buttons by voting for someone else?

The master psychologist at work. :cool:

I assume from your comment that coaches can vote for their own players. I don't know, I'm asking. I know coaches can't vote for their team as for who the best team in the conference will be (preseason).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I assume from your comment that coaches can vote for their own players. I don't know, I'm asking. I know coaches can't vote for their team as for who the best team in the conference will be (preseason).
Good question. I wish I knew the answer.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Napheesa fan. But such is the embarrassment of riches on this Husky team that the individual dubbed preseason Player of the Year in the conference is, arguably, not even the MOP on the team!! 'Tsgonna be a fun year!!

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
No, she wasn't. The names were not listed in any order of meaning!

The commentators said, and I quote "1st team voted by the Coaches, number 1. Gabby Williams - UConn 2. Alliyah Gregory - UCF 3. Napheesa Collier - UConn 4. Katie Lou Samuelson - UConn 5. Kitija Laska - USF". I am going by what I heard, as I was watching "AAC Media Day Live".

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Napheesa fan. But such is the embarrassment of riches on this Husky team that the individual dubbed preseason Player of the Year in the conference is, arguably, not even the MOP on the team!! 'Tsgonna be a fun year!!

If my memory is right Nurse, as the leading returning starter for UConn was the preseason POY last season.

Reaction Score

Maybe Fuller can explain how Samuelson went from 1st to 2nd team in 2 sentences.

Collier and Williams were joined on the first team by Samuelson, UCF's Aliyah Gregory and Kitija Laksa of South Florida. Samuelson went from sharing the 2016-17 postseason AAC Player of the Year award with Collier to not even being put on the first team by the other 11 head coaches.

The way some are reacting you'd think she was left off the All-conference team altogether.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The commentators said, and I quote "1st team voted by the Coaches, number 1. Gabby Williams - UConn 2. Alliyah Gregory - UCF 3. Napheesa Collier - UConn 4. Katie Lou Samuelson - UConn 5. Kitija Laska - USF". I am going by what I heard, as I was watching "AAC Media Day Live".
Thanks. They read the names in a strange order--not alphabetical, not based on votes, not based on teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If my memory is right Nurse, as the leading returning starter for UConn was the preseason POY last season.
Indeed, Kia was the pre-season POY. She was the most experienced Husky. No one had any idea how large a sophomore leap Napheesa or Lou would take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom