UConn’s Williams brings relentless work ethic to basketball court | The Boneyard

UConn’s Williams brings relentless work ethic to basketball court

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

"The best player that Steve Quattlebaum ever coached didn’t just love to practice. She was obsessed with it." But is she obsessed with Geno's practices? :p It appears yes.

“She’d leave our practices and go — two or three nights a week we didn’t have games — into another gym for a private workout with somebody,” Quattlebaum recalled Friday by phone. “We just constantly worried about her working out too much.”

“He used to tell me to rest. … I was like, ‘I’m just going to the gym,’” Williams said with a laugh Friday. Ah! To be a kid again!

“She’s always been a confident player because she knows she’s put the work in ...

“She’s supremely talented and supremely confident,” Auriemma said. “Like, really confident. Not like fake, pretend confidence.” Geno is echoing his own words he said about another supremely confident player, Maya Moore!

“In the quarterfinals against Star City (Ark.), the University of Arkansas coaches were at the game. Coach (Jimmy) Dykes was coaching them at the time. He usually called me when they were coming to watch a game,” Quattlebaum said. “Star City had a really good player. I told Christyn before the game, ‘Did Coach Dykes say anything to you about coming tonight?’ She said, ‘No.’ I said, ‘Well, they must be here to look at the girl from Star City.’ She answered, ‘Oh, OK.’” "According to Quattlebaum, Williams promptly went out and scored 41 of her team’s 47 points, leading them to a victory."

“We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” Auriemma said. “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games." And the starters are?

Reaction Score

"The best player that Steve Quattlebaum ever coached didn’t just love to practice. She was obsessed with it." But is she obsessed with Geno's practices? :p It appears yes.

“She’d leave our practices and go — two or three nights a week we didn’t have games — into another gym for a private workout with somebody,” Quattlebaum recalled Friday by phone. “We just constantly worried about her working out too much.”

“He used to tell me to rest. … I was like, ‘I’m just going to the gym,’” Williams said with a laugh Friday. Ah! To be a kid again!

“She’s always been a confident player because she knows she’s put the work in ...

“She’s supremely talented and supremely confident,” Auriemma said. “Like, really confident. Not like fake, pretend confidence.” Geno is echoing his own words he said about another supremely confident player, Maya Moore!

“In the quarterfinals against Star City (Ark.), the University of Arkansas coaches were at the game. Coach (Jimmy) Dykes was coaching them at the time. He usually called me when they were coming to watch a game,” Quattlebaum said. “Star City had a really good player. I told Christyn before the game, ‘Did Coach Dykes say anything to you about coming tonight?’ She said, ‘No.’ I said, ‘Well, they must be here to look at the girl from Star City.’ She answered, ‘Oh, OK.’” "According to Quattlebaum, Williams promptly went out and scored 41 of her team’s 47 points, leading them to a victory."

“We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” Auriemma said. “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games." And the starters are?

The second player to start who hasn't before (Walker being the first) can only be Williams or Ono.
At the start of the season, my money is on Williams.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Geno just let the cat out of the bag about who the two new starters will be: “We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” Auriemma said. “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games". Is there anyone who regularly spends time here in the yard surprised? :eek:

Well.....it won't be long now boys and girls. 1 week from today, UConn kicks off their 2018-19 season with an exhibiton home game with Vanguard. A lot of questions we have now will be answered after that game.

I guess now we can focus on who the 6th & 7th man will be.

A real honest-to-goodness "workout Warrior" would not be intimidated by Geno's practices. Workout warriors can train at a level few ever reach. They are driven from within, and self motivated. My wife is a workout warrior. She's a senior. Her level of cardio fitness is unbelievable. She goes to the gym 5-6 days a week. Been doing so for over 25 years. She loves going to the gym, she fells guilty when she doesn't.

She completed a tress test recently for her doctor. The technician told her - her results were excellent. He told her he's had much younger athletes take that test that could not pass it, because it gets tougher and the incline gets steeper as the test goes on.

She breezed through it, why? Because she does 5-6 miles on a (inclined) treadmill everyday, before moving on to other machines. That test for her was a walk in the park. :D That test would not have killed me, but I know I would not have done nearly as well as she did. I'm not a ww. :confused:

Williams is the same way. Workout warriors are not hard to spot when you go to the gym. They're working harder and longer than the rest of us. They're usually by themselves. They don't want or need a workout partner.

She probably loves every second of practice, and looksforward ot it (unlike Dee who hated it, and said so). Geno seems to think so. Like Kia Nurse who never seemed to get tired, she can probably run all day. Some people are just blessed that way. Good for her, good for us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Geno just let the cat out of the bag about who the two new starters will be: “We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” Auriemma said. “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games". Is there anyone who regularly spends time here in the yard surprised? :eek:

I guess now we can focus on who the 6th & 7th man will be.
Ono will be either or IMO.

Reaction Score
Anybody see who is running behind Christyn in the picture attached to the article? I spy another #1 recruit who is visiting Husky Nation next weekend!
6F82B7D2-CBE0-41BA-AAC7-40F5CA436BA2.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anybody see who is running behind Christyn in the picture attached to the article? I spy another #1 recruit who is visiting Husky Nation next weekend!
View attachment 35713

I dare say another one of Christyn's personality traits is the gift of "hospitality", in that she makes others feel welcome, wanted and needed. She's blessed with good interpersonal skills. I hope she ladles it on thick next week during Jones' visit. She's close to Jones' age, she's going through what Jones will if she comes here. Who better to talk to her than Christyn? ;) We can't get everybody, we don't need everybody, we don't have room for everybody, UConn is not for everybody. We need Haley Jones. She's special, and will be a "standout"player wherever she goes. I hope that fact is conveyed to and understood by Ms Jones and her family during their visit. They (Haley & Aliyah) will get to watch the team play Vanguard Sunday. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Well at least we know it’s not Shea:rolleyes::D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom