UConn’s Vulnerabilities Heading To Postseason | The Boneyard

UConn’s Vulnerabilities Heading To Postseason

Reaction Score
This is not any kind of swipe or dig at our great team in this amazing season but seeking some honest takes from the crowd here other than we have a terrible shooting night. We go on the premises that everyone is healthy and playing well. And I realize that you can run into another team where they get hot from 3 and go 10-20.
The only letdown I see is at the backup 5 with Johnson, but as opposition and reffing change when we get outa the BE that may not be a problem so much.You never know what is lurking to shut you down but the team’s increased D performances bode very well the way we have limited points scored lately.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First in with a "It's UConn not UCONN" with a douchey explanation of difference between when to use each one.
(Nevermind the actual spelling typo almost no one noticed until they re-read the title).

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
dance christmas GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is not any kind of swipe or dig at our great team in this amazing season but seeking some honest takes from the crowd here other than we have a terrible shooting night. We go on the premises that everyone is healthy and playing well. And I realize that you can run into another team where they get hot from 3 and go 10-20.
The only letdown I see is at the backup 5 with Johnson, but as opposition and reffing change when we get outa the BE that may not be a problem so much.You never know what is lurking to shut you down but the team’s increased D performances bode very well the way we have limited points scored lately.

A team making 10 threes a game isn't unusual any more. Plenty of teams make 9 or more a game on average.
A team would have to make at least 15 threes to get my attention for being "hot" from 3.

Reaction Score
Clingan foul trouble and big physical 4’s that can bully Karaban down low (he’s been better here and there aren’t a ton in the country that can really exploit this.

Agreed, Clingan getting into foul trouble and then having attacking guards who can take advantage.

Reaction Score
How many teams in college bb have a better backup at the 5 than Samson?

Reaction Score
Fair point in overall talent. The challenge with Sampson is that he can be a handsy foul collector, even when we need him to eat up minutes.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I like the way they showed how they can collapse on a talented Big (Soriano) when Clingan is on the bench. These combinations (small ball, even having lockdown Castle at the 5 are impressive to me as
the coaching staff keeps coming up with more and more options on offense and defense. If we stay healthy, we are going to be difficult to stop especially getting out of the rock fight Big East into the national tournament. Hope we can stay healthy during the Big East Tournament.

Reaction Score
Flashier? Few.

Better? Many.

Johnson makes the highlight-reel plays with alley-oops where he's 2 feet above the rim (which, don't get me wrong, adds value to our offense when we can execute it). But he's a mediocre on-ball defender against opposing bigs, doesn't protect the rim as well as a guy with his hops and length should, and has among the worst rebounding instincts we've seen.

One could argue that we'd be better off with a backup 5 along the lines of a Charles Okwandu who, for all his limitations, at least made the steady plays and kept the opposing team in check in the time he was spelling better players.

That said, this isn't really our biggest vulnerability since we can even go to small-ball lineups for a time if needed.

Reaction Score
Can we fix thread title asap or delete the thread....not a good look.

Reaction Score
I’d worry about a team like Tennessee that can muck up our offense like the providence game but is a better offensive team than providence

Reaction Score
Our team is good. Can they be beat? Sure. Do they have weaknesses? I dont think so... i mean what were the coaches supposed to do in the offseason? The team is lights out. Are they guaranteed to win the NC? No. Do they have a good shot? Absolutely.

Newton, Spencer, Castle can give you 20. With enough minutes probably Diarra as well. But can they be outplayed... maybe. But its not likely.

Does our back up center enter the game and crush the competition like last year? No... but the guy we have is pretty good. Weve won with worse backup centers.

We can probably beat most of the field with a pretty good game. But theres a few teams we are going to need to play well to beat.

Reaction Score
Our biggest vulnerability was actually highlighted in Tuesday night's game against Butler. A team with a combination of strong guards who are good with the kick out to shooters who hit a few more shots when they are open. Butler had 3 or 4 chances to make us really start sweating in the latter stages of that game, but they missed each of those penultimate shots. If any of them go down and Butler gets our lead under 5...

A team with a little more talent on a better shooting night in the tournament could put us in that position. Then let's see what happens when things get tight around the collar for us.

Otherwise, I agree that a strong 4 with some offensive game that gets Karaban either into foul trouble or at least back on his heals enough times is our other biggest vulnerability. We do not have anyone who matches up defensively against a DeJuan Blair/Jerome Lane-type of player... not that their are many DeJuan Blair/Jerome Lane-types floating around college basketball currently, if any.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Less vulnerabilities than everyone else

Butt youse have 2 play da games

Reaction Score
There aren't many absent a rash of injuries.

Defense and good guard play carry you through these tournaments. UCONN certainly has that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom