UConn’s Value to Connecticut: $3.4 Billion a Year | The Boneyard

UConn’s Value to Connecticut: $3.4 Billion a Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConnTrumbull posted about this in the Tweets thread. Here is the story:

The University of Connecticut generates about $3.4 billion worth of economic activity every year in the state, including more than 24,000 jobs and over $202 million in tax revenue, according to a report released Wednesday by the national research and consulting firm Tripp Umbach.

“This report provides an empirical foundation for concluding what’s long been clear anecdotally: UConn is essential to the success of our state,” said University President Susan Herbst. “This research also provides a baseline we can use to measure our success as we embark on new initiatives like Next Gen Connecticut and the UConn Technology Park.”

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2014/09/uconns-value-to-connecticut-3-4-billion-a-year/

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This has B1G/AAU written all over it. Not a coincidence that this press release is littered with the word "research". Also justifies the state's $1.5B investment towards UCONN to anybody who was against it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
WARNING: the following post may be considered Cesspool-ish...The timing also suggests that UCONN is making it clear who they want in office. Maybe UCONN fears that Foley would cut UCONN/AAU spending (?). I have to admit that the thought of Foley vs Malloy UCONN support has crossed my mind in determining who I will vote for. Not saying UCONN is the only platform that I'll weigh, but it's important enough of a platform for me to at least consider.

http://www.theday.com/article/20140917/NWS12/140919713/1047/rss01

Reaction Score
I am torn also but I dislike Malloy and his "busway to nowhere" and his tax policies, etc,etc. I am not crazy about Foley either. Such a conundrum.

Reaction Score
uconnell said:
I am torn also but I dislike Malloy and his "busway to nowhere" and his tax policies, etc,etc. I am not crazy about Foley either. Such a conundrum.

I'd rather go with the devil I know as opposed to the one I don't...

Reaction Score
The fact that Foley blinked here is red flag enough for me. We know Malloy has been good to UConn. Last thing I want to see is this corporate raider get in there and tell UConn to go find money elsewhere which is what I suspect he will do on some level.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The fact that Foley blinked here is red flag enough for me. We know Malloy has been good to UConn. Last thing I want to see is this corporate raider get in there and tell UConn to go find money elsewhere which is what I suspect he will do on some level.

I have my concerns with Malloy (for different reasons than others probably), but he is willing to support the university and I really think that given where UConn stands (poised to climb academically, wallowing athletically - as far as competition) that is becoming my top priority. Every other problem of government will still be there in four years; until UConn is shored up I worried about putting those in office who don't have any connection to a public school (Phillips Exeter, Harvard, Harvard).

Reaction Score
Hate to get into politics on this board, but it is important how the candidates view UConn. Foley should be asked what his thoughts are. I am no fan of Malloy, but he (like Rowland before him) has been a great friend of UConn. As far as, Foley's private education bias; don't forget that Malloy is a "double-eagle", BC undergrad and law school. Have to grudgingly admit not everyone affiliated with BC has put a target on UConn.

Reaction Score
People who don't appreciate what UCONN, Calhoun, and yes, Papa Geno, have done for the state are too narrow minded. There was a time you couldn't find a UCONN hat anywhere but the Co-op. Now UCONN gear sells all over the country. UCONN is our flagship and our most valuable asset.

Reaction Score

I didn't like Foley's reaction to this at all. We finally have some good news in this state and the guy has to question if the governor or the president of UConn used state money for political gain.

Reaction Score
I didn't like Foley's reaction to this at all. We finally have some good news in this state and the guy has to question if the governor or the president of UConn used state money for political gain.

I didn't dislike it, I just didn't understand it. An argument that the study of a value of the University's contributions was a puff piece favoring the sitting governor isn't clear on its face, particularly where most of Malloy's contributions to UConn haven't been implemented yet.

You want to argue that the methodology was incorrect? Go ahead, but offer a new one or explain the old one's faults. You want to criticize the money spent to bring Hillary to campus? Totally warranted, in my opinion. This response? Not sure it made much sense.

(Admittedly, I haven't done a deep dive into the study myself. I just don't get the theory as to how this study helps Malloy.)

This election is about jobs, anyway. Not Sandy Hook or UConn or renewable energy or busways or anything else. It's about jobs. People are going to vote for the guy whom they think will bring more jobs to the State. That's it. (In my opinion.)

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I have my concerns with Malloy (for different reasons than others probably), but he is willing to support the university and I really think that given where UConn stands (poised to climb academically, wallowing athletically - as far as competition) that is becoming my top priority. Every other problem of government will still be there in four years; until UConn is shored up I worried about putting those in office who don't have any connection to a public school (Phillips Exeter, Harvard, Harvard).

Malloy went to BC......................undergrad and law

I think he is a fan of Herbst and sees the Flagship as a good investment, which many agree on..However, who knows if Foley won't support UCONN at all, just saying. That debate at UCONN should be very interesting.

Reaction Score
I didn't dislike it, I just didn't understand it. An argument that the study of a value of the University's contributions was a puff piece favoring the sitting governor isn't clear on its face, particularly where most of Malloy's contributions to UConn haven't been implemented yet.

You want to argue that the methodology was incorrect? Go ahead, but offer a new one or explain the old one's faults. You want to criticize the money spent to bring Hillary to campus? Totally warranted, in my opinion. This response? Not sure it made much sense.

(Admittedly, I haven't done a deep dive into the study myself. I just don't get the theory as to how this study helps Malloy.)

This election is about jobs, anyway. Not Sandy Hook or UConn or renewable energy or busways or anything else. It's about jobs. People are going to vote for the guy whom they think will bring more jobs to the State. That's it. (In my opinion.)

I think Foley was dumb to comment. Opens up something that he can't Win.

Reaction Score
Wow, I didn't realize they were debating AT UConn. So Malloy is going to go on and on about all the money he's committed to UConn and what will Foley dare say?

I hope someone asks him what to expect of his relationship with UConn if he were elected governor. Have him put it out there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

The busway wasn't Malloy. Did you just move here?

In regard to UConn, CT's future economy is in areas that require highly educated and skilled workers. The State U is central to that end, not only in producing these workers, but in attracting companies that need them. CT can't pump enough money into its higher education system.

Reaction Score
The busway wasn't Malloy. Did you just move here?

In regard to UConn, CT's future economy is in areas that require highly educated and skilled workers. The State U is central to that end, not only in producing these workers, but in attracting companies that need them. CT can't pump enough money into its higher education system.
Malloy was the governor who pushed for the busway. What am I missing?

Reaction Score
Foley would like to cut taxes and spending. Anyone who thinks that UConn will not be hurt is kidding themselves. Forget any further advancement if this guy wins.

Reaction Score
Foley would like to cut taxes and spending. Anyone who thinks that UConn will not be hurt is kidding themselves. Forget any further advancement if this guy wins.
However, there is a bright side. If we wins, we can all carry guns!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Malloy is horrible as a governor. I think UCONN will still get funding. I want a state I can live in and have a little more than I have the past few years.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
However, there is a bright side. If we wins, we can all carry guns!

You should look at the issues instead of making snap sayings without any facts being involved.

We need lower taxes and less spending. People are having trouble paying bills, which means less folks going to UCONN games.
Common core, ranked last for Seniors in retirement, highest tax burden per capital and a state pension that is the most underfunded in the country

One last thing. The Second Amendment protects you First Amendment right's to free speech.

Reaction Score
Malloy is horrible as a governor. I think UCONN will still get funding. I want a state I can live in and have a little more than I have the past few years.
Foley will cut UConn to shreds. I think everyone should carry a gun. Tough decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom