UConn’s plan to sell pieces of Gampel Pavilion court | The Boneyard

UConn’s plan to sell pieces of Gampel Pavilion court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't find the other thread that was started recently on this topic so I started a new one.

The existing court will not be removed haphazardly or in any way convenient to the following installation phase. It will be meticulously carved into sections that UConn hopes will fit on walls, on desks, even as floorboards if one has the space — across a fan base’s spectrum of disposable income and appreciation for history.

Virtually every inch of the Gampel court will be for sale.

“You talk to fans about their emotional connection to UConn basketball, and it’s because of moments,” athletic director David Benedict said. “When you find someone who has a lot of resources and has an emotional connection to something, that’s when you use the word priceless. We’re going to have people who look at this stuff saying, ‘That’s priceless to me.’ This can be what we refer to as a win-win situation. We’re going to try to generate as much money as we can to help pay for the new floor, and provide opportunities to our fans to have a piece of UConn basketball history. Which is great for both.”

Alternate free access:

Behind UConn’s plan to sell pieces of Gampel Pavilion court to basketball fans with ‘emotional connection'

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Are the out of bounds parts of the court going to be called purvis exclusive pieces?

I have a piece of the 2014 NCAA championship court in a box somewhere.

'They should absolutely label each piece.

Purvis exclusive pieces

"x player game winning three!"

"x player's game winning free throws"

"Calhoun 'T' for walking on the court"

Anyone want to post a grid over the court and start a thread for what happened in each sq ft (or sq yard)?

Reaction Score
Sign me up for a piece of the floor.

Yes - there's many many basketball-related memories but it's also personal - I walked across the floor (when it was still at its original thickness) for graduation.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I already have a spot lined up in my home for where my pieces is going. Thais is so cool.

Reaction Score
For the new court… I really hope they don’t hop on the band bandwagon by making the center court the outline shape of Connecticut. It’s been done before way too many times at other flagship universities. I think it looks kinda tacky.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Sign me up for enough pieces to cover my entire basement floor. I gave my wife discretion over all decisions when redoing our kitchen. Now…it’s my turn!

Reaction Score
Blaspheme. Everyone looking to profit off the sacred Gampel maple. Criminal, I say! I say burn it all in one large bonfire and send it off to its final resting place in the sky. No need to carve up our great floor like some punk communist at the hands of tony montana, he'll carve it up real nice.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Blaspheme. Everyone looking to profit off the sacred Gampel maple. Criminal, I say! I say burn it all in one large bonfire and send it off to its final resting place in the sky. No need to carve up our great floor like some punk communist at the hands of tony montana, he'll carve it up real nice.
I would actually be ok with this as long as we are all present and they make an event out of it.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
For the new court… I really hope they don’t hop on the band bandwagon by making the center court the outline shape of Connecticut. It’s been done before way too many times at other flagship universities. I think it looks kinda tacky.
I also hope they don’t make some funky court like Oregon or Memphis. Painful to watch games on those courts.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
We are not West Virginia and don't burn couches lol

MrP

Reaction Score
Anyone who was at carriage house for the ‘04 game against Duke saw many a burning couch that night, just seconds after the final buzzer. I actually saw two guys try to jump the burning couch from opposite sides, crash into each other mid air, and land on the burning couch carcass. Both were fine I think. Real Bills mafia type stuff

Reaction Score
I was on campus for the 1999 Sweet 16 win over Clemson, and visiting during the 1999 championship win over Duke. We absolutely burn couches.

And for the 2004 championship game, UConn set up pyres of pallets to burn if they won. Students still dragged out couches to burn.
Those couch burners must have been from the hills and back hollows of NW CT.

Reaction Score
Pre 2006/2007 Even if it didn't burn, it was thrown into the fire. I've seen cars pushed into fires.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind a piece of the hardwood but I'm wondering just how much these planks are going to cost. I'll be the starting $$ number is a lot more people think. Anyone?

Reaction Score
Ummm…
1675099946018.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Already have a piece of the 1999 Championship floor - Gample floor piece will be nice right next to it
Kathy, can you post a picture of your piece of the 1999 championship floor? I saw something online being purported to be from the 1999 floor, but it is very different from my recollection of what was actually offered. I’d like to compare it to what you have.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If I could hurry up and win the lotto this would look great in my garage instead of epoxying the floor.
I don’t know about that, but that husky dog would make one hell of a rec room floor, wouldn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom