UCLA @ Oregon State | The Boneyard

UCLA @ Oregon State

Reaction Score
A quality basketball game tonight. Had the pleasure to see two excellent teams tonight. Really proud of OSU girls. After suffering their worst defeat this season at UCLA, the Lady Beavs played with great maturity, made a lot of clutch plays, and OSU defense was fantastic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rueck is a fantastic coach. If he can establish and maintain a steady stream of top talent to OR St, the Beavers could be one of the top teams in WBB year after year.

Reaction Score
My criticism of Rueck most of this season is that he didn't run screens and plays to get his shooter open. He did an excellent job today. They made UCLA look silly on all those back doors, screens and picks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like Scott, but I hope we can get Van Lith and Brink from his part of the country. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Oregon schools beat the L.A. schools in OT and 2 OTs. Sounds exciting!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

There were four OT games, including 6 total OTs last night in D1 (but the UCLA game is the big one).

Reaction Score
Bummer that more could not have seen this game last night. A very well played game by both teams. In the end, OSU's defense was the difference. This OSU team has continued to demonstrate a growing maturity, especially in critical moments. It didn't feel that way last year at this point in the season. This current OSU team's confidence is growing, and, it showed tonight vs UCLA. UCLA is also a much better team than last year. PAC12 is going to be a tough out in the NCAA Tournament this year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Interesting posts in the thread yet not one included a score. Hmm.

Reaction Score
Rueck is a fantastic coach. If he can establish and maintain a steady stream of top talent to OR St, the Beavers could be one of the top teams in WBB year after year.

He’s got up to three years of Slocum to look forward to.

Reaction Score
Tried to watch the Oregon-USC game, but had to turn it off at the half tied at 26 apiece. Some of the worst basketball I've seen in a long time. Made the 2nd half of the UConn-UCF game look like basketball's version of poetry in motion.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Bummer that more could not have seen this game last night. A very well played game by both teams. In the end, OSU's defense was the difference. This OSU team has continued to demonstrate a growing maturity, especially in critical moments. It didn't feel that way last year at this point in the season. This current OSU team's confidence is growing, and, it showed tonight vs UCLA. UCLA is also a much better team than last year. PAC12 is going to be a tough out in the NCAA Tournament this year.
One announcer said after the Oregon/USC game that the UCLA /OS game could not be any more exciting. However, I think it was just as exciting and a better played game though the Oregon/USC game was entertaining to me.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I like Scott, but I hope we can get Van Lith and Brink from his part of the country. ;)

I don't have any idea of what schools Van Lith is looking closely at. I have seen reports that Brink is frequently in attendance at Oregon St. games in Corvallis.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gulich has been fairly ineffective in a couple recent games against Stanford and Washington. Good to see her bounce back in a big way. She hit some really tough fade away jumpers from mid range. She's got some skills! McWilliams continued her recent stretch of being a consistent scoring threat.

Reaction Score
You were there? Must've been an exciting atmosphere in Gill Coliseum.
Yes, I was in attendance at Gill. Unlike previous games, I had a calm over me during the game. The kids are playing well together now, and, are not as susceptible to the pressure as they were in the beginning of the season. Pivec was great, McWilliams (as you pointed out) has stepped up her game immensely, and Kat Tudor is playing more within herself. Beavers went zone the entire 2nd half. Pivec, Kat Tudor, and McWilliams are long, strong, and very difficult to penetrate or pass over the top. Beavers defense was the best it has been all season.

Reaction Score
Gulich has been fairly ineffective in a couple recent games against Stanford and Washington. Good to see her bounce back in a big way. She hit some really tough fade away jumpers from mid range. She's got some skills! McWilliams continued her recent stretch of being a consistent scoring threat.
Gulich wasn't really ineffective vs Washington. She didn't have to score, as Beavers had all day to shoot from the 3-point line--they didn't need Gulich to score. Gulich is the best defensive post in the entire western US, maybe in the country. She blocked Monique Billings 1st two shots, and that affected Billings. I'm so impressed with Gulich. Just cannot believe how far she has come since her 1st year as OSU.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Gulich wasn't really ineffective vs Washington. She didn't have to score, as Beavers had all day to shoot from the 3-point line--they didn't need Gulich to score.

The 3 point shooting obviously more than offset Gulich being well below her scoring average. But it looked like a frustrating day for her. UW was swarming her, she had trouble catching the ball cleanly in the post. This was coming right after Hebard did whatever she wanted in the post against the Huskies, I expected Gulich to similarly dominate them. They have literally no size at all. I think Hannah Johnson is their tallest available player, and I really doubt she's actually 6-1 as listed on the roster. Might be like Osahor, actually 5-11 or so.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here's the post game presser w/ Rueck, Gulich and McWilliams. Particularly interesting around the 6 minute mark. There is an unexpected member of the media who is very familiar with Corvallis. She even gets a cameo at the tail end of the clip.

Reaction Score
Here's the post game presser w/ Rueck, Gulich and McWilliams. Particularly interesting around the 6 minute mark. There is an unexpected member of the media who is very familiar with Corvallis. She even gets a cameo at the tail end of the clip.

Thanks for posting. Syd Weise is a goofball. Love that girl. I'll be going to the final home game in Corvallis today. I can't wait to see the kids play, and, watching Marie Gulich in her final regular season home game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom