UCLA loses to Kent state | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA loses to Kent state

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This might be a "South Carolina then everyone else" type of season with the way things are going.
It sure looks that way early on. SC is steam-rolling over everyone they play. Their first game vs N.C. St. was the only game they won by single digits 66-57, and they're building momentum. :eek: We'll have to go with that until a team steps up and proves they're vulnerable by handing them a loss. :oops:

Reaction Score
Az smoked Rutgers! Not that they shouldn’t but it could have been way worse! They’ve got this kid named Aeronette Vonleh? who is going to be a star! She is exactly what UConn needs. 6’3” built like a tank, unbelievable hands, and a nose for the basket! So glad we’re getting Ice next year! I hope Geno and co. can find a skilled big that has some heft to pair with her! I think we need a little more muscle in the paint.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Az smoked Rutgers! Not that they shouldn’t but it could have been way worse! They’ve got this kid named Aeronette Vonleh? who is going to be a star! She is exactly what UConn needs. 6’3” built like a tank, unbelievable hands, and a nose for the basket! So glad we’re getting Ice next year! I hope Geno and co. can find a skilled big that has some heft to pair with her! I think we need a little more muscle in the paint.
I've been impressed with her too. She's well down the list on the depth chart, 4th at best in the post rotation.

Reaction Score
Two (7 Stanford & 19 UCLA) top 25 teams going down in flams on the same day. :eek: Yesterday two more top 5 teams lost. 2 Maryland & 4 Indiana. Coach Vince Lombardi, what do you have to say about these 4 top 20 teams losing to lower/unranked teams?........... Heh heh heh. :cool: It looks like UConn is NOT the only top 10 ranked team to suffer woe. At least we lost to the #1 team in the country.

'Lets worry about ALL the teams, but also focus on Sunday's game against ND.

Reaction Score
yea for whatever reason someone in the chat said Rutgers was a tough test for Arz lol. I said if they beat Texas they go undefeated into 22

Reaction Score
Two (7 Stanford & 19 UCLA) top 25 teams going down in flams on the same day. :eek: Yesterday two more top 5 teams lost. 2 Maryland & 4 Indiana. Coach Vince Lombardi, what do you have to say about these 4 top 20 teams losing to lower/unranked teams?........... Heh heh heh. :cool: It looks like UConn is NOT the only top 10 ranked team to suffer woe. At least we lost to the #1 team in the country.

Vince said millions of quotable quotes, and they were all printed. Uconn Womens Basketball team may be ONLY ONE OF MANY, to lose, but is is my only team, and they lost.
You failed to mention the TWINS that beat UCLA.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Kent State 75 - 69
Just noticed this. Growing up in northeast Ohio, we mocked our nearest state university: "If you can't get into college, go to Kent." Unfair, yes, but at the time it was the smallest of the state universities. Neat that it now can be visible on the national basketball stage.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Arizona coach backed way off in the last 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. Arizona was in complete control at that point, and chose not to completely embarrass Rutgers. Rutgers was never in that game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
'Lets worry about ALL the teams, but also focus on Sunday's game against ND.
Seton Hall is the next game (Friday Dec 3) on the schedule. Let's give them the respect they deserve by not looking past them. THAT game should be our team’s main focus. They have 4 more days to prepare for that conference game, and see if they were able to correct the things they did wrong in their last game.

UConn was humbled last time out. It was shown that we are not as deep or unbeatable as some of us thought. All of the questions we had about this team were answered the last 3 games. Let's see how they respond.

BTW, I’m keeping an eye on all the teams on our schedule. ND and Tennessee are not going to be push overs, and must be taken very seriously.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well in all fairness to our fine colleague @CocoHusky I need to opine that I also watched UCLA barely beat a "mediocre" St John's team yesterday afternoon. The issue that keeps being touted especially by the announcers at Gulf Coast Showcase was UCLA only had 8 healthy bodies which is true but all also sort of bunk. Tight rotations only consist of 7-8 players so the real issue is and was this UCLA team was not anywhere near the conditioning to handle 120 minutes of basketball over 3 consecutive days. The Bruins best healthy player by far is Ilmar'l Thomas, who transferred from Cincinnati to UCLA this year to improve her stock for the WNBA draft. Simply put, she logged 22, 30 and 33 minutes but was gassed on many series of plays. The first two sets of minutes were losses. She has to get in better shape if she wants to run up and down the floor and be effective throughout the whole game. She's got great offensive prowess and a nice outside shot as well. That said, pretty much all of the Bruins could use more conditioning and that has to be on the coach and her staff. There is no excuse for that when you are a "supposed" top 30 program. Last is her constant halftime quotes of "we've got to do a better job on the defensive end"...which was complete rubbish as the 3 defensive scores were 69-66-65 and her comments regardless of the actual game were too trite like Holly Warlick...yikes!
Coco has every right to call into question Cori Close's oversight on x's/o's, player usage and conditioning as all are highly suspect that gets masked by having highly skilled raw talent. It is like taking Kobe beef and grounding into burger patty and saying taste how good is this burger? Yeah, it's good but it WAS a steak that should have been phenomenal, instead of just a good burger...SMH

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom