Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Very concerned: Toss Up

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Dreading: UCLA wins

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
UCONN must Contol defensive rebound. UCLA isn't the best shooting team but they make up for it with second and third chance rebounding.

Reaction Score
If UConn couldn't keep Buffalo off the O boards, I shudder to think how they'll keep Onyenwere, Drummer and Burke off them.
Rebounding has been UCLA strength and they're committed to the glass. UConn must find a player and team rebound.

Reaction Score
Game of trade-offs. If UCONN commits to more UCONN bodies on the defensive boards, it may mean less fewer outlet passes to streaking UCONN players downcourt after the defensive rebound. In both OSU vs UCLA games, UCLA had 17 & 19 offensive rebounds, but OSU & UCLA were dead even on total rebounds. OSU won both of these games. I think UCONN's chances are better if they, #1, commit to crashing the defensive boards, and, #2, run their half-court offense, and, #3, run when the opportunity presents itself.

Reaction Score
If guns can keep herself under control and not try to dribble into a mob and creating turnovers,albeit extremely athletic turnovers, and Megan zeroes in on those testy six inch layups, and everyone else plays about the same,then Uconn wins by 20. If Uconn plays about as effectively as during the Buffalo game,Uconn may very well bow out in the round of 16 for the first time since people were singing gregorian chant. I personally think our pedigree will prevail in this one by a 87-79 score.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about this game for the same reasons that Geno gives. I do not know which UConn team is going to show up. The team's playing temperature is not consistent. Shooting can be inconsistent. Passing can be inconsistent. Making layups can be inconsistent. They may score 80 points, maybe not. Defense: who knows. Not like teams from the prior years so toss the dice and see if it is a crap shoot.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UCONN must Contol defensive rebound. UCLA isn't the best shooting team but they make up for it with second and third chance rebounding.

I agree with you! On the whole UCLA FG% is 41.7%. Burke (49.2%) and Onyenwere (47.6%) are two that can fill it up. UCLA averages 73.2% on their free throws. However, in the tournament they are shooting 87% for their free throws (40-46). UCONN on average commits 12 fouls per game. No 20+ fouls! UCLA averages 17.3 fouls per game. Phee must induce them to commit 6-8 fouls on her alone. Olivia is a foul machine both ways. She commits her share and more but she induces quite a few fouls against her. Problem being both Phee and Olivia can have games where making free throws is not an easy task. I hope Olivia can play a smart game. UCLA averages almost twice as many offensive rebounds as UCONN. You are right. UCONN must blockout strongly and smartly on the defensive boards. This needs to be a UCONN focus. This should be an interesting game to watch. If UCONN's 3s are on target then a 12-15 point win. If not, this could be down to the wire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In some recent previous years, I'd say that UConn would have about a 98%+ chance of winning against their S16 opponent. This year against UCLA, maybe 5 in 6. So, losing would be like the odds that you'll roll a 1 on a six-sided die.

A very beatable team, but with the right gameplan and determination from UCLA, they will make it a ballgame.

Reaction Score
That has been a trend of Uconn giving up offensive rebounds and allowing open shots. At some point fouls be damned second chances may be worth the risk.
A lot depends on which Uconn team shows up: one of 3: Shooting with abandon and drilling 3 after 3 OR can't hit the side of a the barn and fouls to make up for that OR comes out shooting then allows the opponent in the back door and scrambles to win by fouling. Then too a bit is about how well ONO plays, CW plays, Walker plays--or how well Collier is defended--Danger and KLS will do their thing. If Napheesa is shut down--fill up the tank on the bus, it's a long ride home.

Reaction Score
In some recent previous years, I'd say that UConn would have about a 98%+ chance of winning against their S16 opponent. This year against UCLA, maybe 5 in 6. So, losing would be like the odds that you'll roll a 1 on a six-sided die.

A very beatable team, but with the right gameplan and determination from UCLA, they will make it a ballgame.
My question who is rolling for the 1, UCLA or UConn?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1553807474173.png

Did I answer the question?

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Japreece Dean, UCLA's point guard, seems to be an expert at drawing fouls, plus she's around 93% accurate for FTs. She racked up 20 against Maryland even though her FG percentage was not high -- although she can make 3s. In the Buffalo game, the UConn starters played differently in Q4 because of foul trouble. UCLA's defense threw Ionescu off her game when UCLA played Oregon. Also, like Buffalo, UCLA does not let up in the 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
An opponent that thrives on toughness and aggression against a group of players that have tended to play meekly and tight in big games.

I don't care what Massey and KenPom say, this game is a big-time concern.

Reaction Score
Not one bit...even though I know we won. But never any doubt going into this game today.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It never really felt like they were going to lose. Some games, yeah, it not this one

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To be honest, after being down 5, I had to turn the channel to relieve some of the pressure and when I turned back to the game, we were up three. :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom