UCLA game could be critical . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA game could be critical . . .

Reaction Score
GT did play well against Georgia. However, they also lost a home game to Auburn (Massey #87) a couple of weeks ago. Massey has GT ranked at #40.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looking ahead for us fans is fine but for the team the approach should be game to game regardless of the prior game outcome. This team does not need the additional weight of trying to continue a steak that started well before they were all even born.
Exactly!!! The most important game on your schedule is THE NEXT ONE. Looking ahead is one of the worst things a team can do. No "trap games" please. Our team is venturing into a new an unknown phenomena, life without team leader and floor general Paige Bueckers. NO ONE knows what to expect. They need to concentrate and put all of their focus and attention on winning the game tonight, not maintaining a streak they really have nothing to do with. A streak that began in the early 90's, before any of them were born.

Win the game tonight, and everything will take care of itself. These next 3 games (Georgia Tech, will give us an idea of what we can expect from our team until Paige returns. One thing is for sure. Several players MUST step up and replace her minutes and points during this time, and step up BIG. Will it be the starters, or several reserve players?

Massey has Georgia Tech rated #40 at 6-2. With Paige, this game would be pretty much a lock for UConn. Massey has UConn winning 63-55, with a 78% chance of winning. Without her, nothing is guaranteed, or the way it was. I wonder if this prediction was made BEFORE or after Paige's injury? UConn must improve on their rebounding, turnovers and outside shooting if they are to remain formidable. With Paige out for the next 6-8 weeks, teams on their schedule are now looking forward (salivating) to playing them and perhaps coming away with a rare win.

Reaction Score
This UCONN team is not going to be going to sleep on anyone. Not anymore, in any case. We will be playing with a rookie at guard. Almost no depth remaining, except in the paint. An unknown, untested player in Mir. And that's it until injuries heal. So every game will be a challenge.

Reaction Score
. . . Massey has UConn winning 63-55, with a 78% chance of winning. . . . I wonder if this prediction was made BEFORE or after Paige's injury? . . .

Massey ratings are computer generated. As far as I'm aware, it's just number crunching without
the inclusion of any intangibles (except maybe home or away), so Paige's injury wouldn't enter
into it.

In any event you need to be a dozen or more games into the season before computer rankings
become reasonable.

Reaction Score
UCLA and Georgia Tech just aren't very good teams. UCONN should be able to win both relatively easily with lineups of Westbrook (who has collegiate PG experience), Williams, Ducharme, Edwards and ONO. Depth isn't there but all of those players besides Ducharme are used to playing big minutes at UCONN with a seldom used bench. UCONN just doesn't lose these types of games--the last time they lost to an unranked team was a decade ago. I'll be shocked if either game is close.
Well, I guess that it is true that Georgia Tech is just not a very good team :)
Steve Higgins GIF

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well, I guess that it is true that Georgia Tech is just not a very good team :)
Steve Higgins GIF
I'll own that I was definitely off base with my prediction. I'm still not convinced Georgia Tech is that good of a team though as much as UCONN just played horribly.

Reaction Score
I'll own that I was definitely off base with my prediction. I'm still not convinced Georgia Tech is that good of a team though as much as UCONN just played horribly.
When was the last time a team actually "beat" UConn as opposed to UConn just not playing a good game? Isn't it fair to say it's usually not all one or the other?

Reaction Score
GT was a sweet 16 team the previous season. GT did beat Georgia at Georgia in their previous game. GT played better "team" ball than UCONN which many have already pointed out. I'm not worried one iota about UCONN. UCONN will be fine, and I believe ultimately will be better for having to spread the playing time to others who have been riding the pine, until UCONN's injured team members return. I think there is some great talent that is going to blossom with some live game action.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
When was the last time a team actually "beat" UConn as opposed to UConn just not playing a good game? Isn't it fair to say it's usually not all one or the other?
Georgia Tech beat UCONN, I just dont think they're a strong team (top 10-15). Yesterday UCONN didn't play like a top 25 caliber team.

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech beat UCONN, I just dont think they're a strong team (top 10-15). Yesterday UCONN didn't play like a top 25 caliber team.
Like I mentioned in another post, Georgia Tech gave SC the 2nd toughest game in the NCAA tournament last year in my opinion. I thought GT style of play would have given UCONN trouble with Paige. If GT solve the free throw issue, they might end up in the top 20 when the season is over.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Like I mentioned in another post, Georgia Tech gave SC the 2nd toughest game in the NCAA tournament last year in my opinion. I thought GT style of play would have given UCONN trouble with Paige. If GT solve the free throw issue, they might end up in the top 20 when the season is over.
They were also the 2nd highest seed SC faced in the tournament last year. SC didn't exactly face a slew of brutal opponents in the tournament. This year GT has nice wins over Georgia and against a depleted UCONN team with losses to mediocre teams like Auburn and Purdue.

Your prediction was more accurate than mine, but based on your last statement it seems like we're in agreement that GT doesn't appear to be a top 10-15 team. I'm personally not convinced they're top 25.

Reaction Score
They were also the 2nd highest seed SC faced in the tournament last year. SC didn't exactly face a slew of brutal opponents in the tournament. This year GT has nice wins over Georgia and against a depleted UCONN team with losses to mediocre teams like Auburn and Purdue.

Your prediction was more accurate than mine, but based on your last statement it seems like we're in agreement that GT doesn't appear to be a top 10-15 team. I'm personally not convinced they're top 25.
So now UConn is depleted. Were they not depleted before you stated UCONN should handle GT easily? To be honest I really don't know where GT falls compared to the other top 25 teams. Maybe our definition of a "good team" is different. I was looking at the matchup and thought what GT was good at (rebounding and defense) would give UCONN problems.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So now UConn is depleted. Were they not depleted before you stated UCONN should handle GT easily? To be honest I really don't know where GT falls compared to the other top 25 teams. Maybe our definition of a "good team" is different. I was looking at the matchup and thought what GT was good at (rebounding and defense) would give UCONN problems.

Depleted is a poor word choice--I should've said 'beat UCONN in their first game without Bueckers.'

Talent wise I still believe UCONN should've won this game, but obviously GT came to play and UCONN didn't which led to a 13 point loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom