UCLA - am I the only one? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA - am I the only one?

Reaction Score
She wasn't the entire focus of our offense as a freshman. She has had to become that due to Lou's injury. She's got a lot on her plate right now.
CW got an offensive rebound with less than 3 minutes to go. She tried to put the ball up again, in a crowd, unsuccessfully. I felt she should have taken the ball out again, and burn another 30 seconds off the clock. Agree, or disagree?
Absolutely, but that's the mindset of the contemporary player with the few exceptions (like KLS). They want to be the hero all the time and unfortunately even at the expense of the team (incl. UConn). We can thank places like ESPN for a lot of that.

Reaction Score
In that position, I am sure that Geno would make sure that Cd was handling the ball. Slowing it down so they have to foul her. ONO would not see the ball in that case. Pheesa would probably just be screening just in case.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I was scared of every trip to the foul line. Pheesa and Lou were both missing.
Lou missed one free throw and was 4 for 5. What are you talking about? In fact Lou and the rest of the team outside Pheesa were 8 for 9. Pheesa was the only one having challenges going 3 for 8 at the line. I don't blame her either because she had to be tired after that physical game and never coming off the floor.

Reaction Score
The other questionable UCLA tactic was despite being down double digits, they continued to take forever to run their plays & get a perfect shot. They must have some quick hit plays in their book, but they used most of the shot clock on every possession.

Reaction Score
Who wants to know why they didn't foul in the last 3 minutes. They were down 9 - 3 scores. They had been hitting 3's. Their coach appeared to give up. Hey you lose you go home, it was time to try anything and fouling would have at least given them a chance.
They fouled all game... refs just didn’t call it.

Reaction Score
The other questionable UCLA tactic was despite being down double digits, they continued to take forever to run their plays & get a perfect shot. They must have some quick hit plays in their book, but they used most of the shot clock on every possession.
And did everyone notice UCLA's final basket? Clock has about 10 seconds so instead of picking up their ball and going home, they sprint the length of the court for an uncontested layup and cut the MOV to single digits.

I know that the couple of posters here will again say that they should play until the clock is 00:00 but jeesh, Cori had already removed her seniors...I think the towel had been thrown in. :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And did everyone notice UCLA's final basket? Clock has about 10 seconds so instead of picking up their ball and going home, they sprint the length of the court for an uncontested layup and cut the MOV to single digits.

I know that the couple of posters here will again say that they should play until the clock is 00:00 but jeesh, Cori had already removed her seniors...I think the towel had been thrown in. :rolleyes:

I disagree. Most might consider it bad sportsmanship to continue to score against a beaten opponent once the game clock is off. I don't think the same is true for the losing team. Especially since it probably their "end of the bench" players on the court. A chance to get in the stat sheet at the tournament for a kid that probably busted her butt all year. What might be an opportunity that they might not get again.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Lou missed one free throw and was 4 for 5. What are you talking about? In fact Lou and the rest of the team outside Pheesa were 8 for 9. Pheesa was the only one having challenges going 3 for 8 at the line. I don't blame her either because she had to be tired after that physical game and never coming off the floor.
Lou went to the line for two shots twice during crunch time. She missed the first one of the four. Because of the timing of that miss, for her last 3 shots I was nervous. I hope you don't have a problem with me being concerned at the end of the game. I really don't want to disappoint you. (whoever you are).

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
KLS missed once. Collier is the poor ft shooter who missed 5 times.
It was when Lou missed that caused me to have concern. At the end of the game she went to the line twice for two. She missed the fi
Lou was 4-5 and her miss was early. I think she would have been solid but Pheesa was 3-8 so I would have taken some chances if she touched the ball.
It was when Lou missed that caused me to have concern. At the end of the game she went to the line twice for two. She missed the first of the four shots. It was the timing of the miss that caused me to be concerned.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Most might consider it bad sportsmanship to continue to score against a beaten opponent once the game clock is off. I don't think the same is true for the losing team. Especially since it probably their "end of the bench" players on the court. A chance to get in the stat sheet at the tournament for a kid that probably busted her butt all year. What might be an opportunity that they might not get again.
Umm...it was the starting guard, Dean, #24. She got the outlet pass from a Pheesa missed FT with 13.8 seconds left (my bad I originally said there was about 10 seconds, so that extra 3.8 seconds probably made the Bruins feel more confident about erasing that 10 point deficit. ). :rolleyes:
And the other 4 players, maybe 2 were end of the bench players because like I posted, Cori took out her 2 seniors...right before Pheesa's missed FT. So they were not involved in the play, if that was the case.

But good try.

Reaction Score
Lou went to the line for two shots twice during crunch time. She missed the first one of the four. Because of the timing of that miss, for her last 3 shots I was nervous. I hope you don't have a problem with me being concerned at the end of the game. I really don't want to disappoint you. (whoever you are).
ok , so now if someone misses one ft shoot they arena liability. Got it.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
ok , so now if someone misses one ft shoot they arena liability. Got it.
last time, it was the timing of the miss. try to read a little slower

Reaction Score
Absolutely, but that's the mindset of the contemporary player with the few exceptions (like KLS). They want to be the hero all the time and unfortunately even at the expense of the team (incl. UConn). We can thank places like ESPN for a lot of that.
Wow. You know Christyn's mindset as she was trying to score after gathering a rebound? How do you know this isn't what the coaches drill into the players everyday (after snagging a rebound, go right back up and try to score)? Also, you need to keep in mind that Christyn is only a freshman. A little grace is in order. Not everyone can be as perfect and all-knowing as your hero KLS.

Reaction Score
last time, it was the timing of the miss. try to read a little slower
One more time, it was one miss and yesterday I think she proved you wrong. Timing comment would apply if she had a habit of missing FT at end of games or critical spots. One miss does not make it a concern. You can take your sarcasm and well ... I will follow rules of treating people with respect. Perhaps you can try the same when having a difference of opinion.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
One more time, it was one miss and yesterday I think she proved you wrong. Timing comment would apply if she had a habit of missing FT at end of games or critical spots. One miss does not make it a concern. You can take your sarcasm and well ... I will follow rules of treating people with respect. Perhaps you can try the same when having a difference of opinion.

Okay, understand what I said in the original post, I said I was worried or scared or something to that effect. I never accused lou of being a bad free through shooter. She missed an important one and then went on to make her last three opportunities. When she missed the first of the four, I was worried for each of the lst 3 that she ended up making. it is not a matter of being right or wrong. I said I was worried. I never said anything negative about Lou or Pheesa. Do you remember the free throws Donyell missed in the 90's. I do. Good players don't always come through. So stop trying to say I was insinuating that lou was a bad free throw shooter. Please try to understand my post and not jump to some conclusion and try to turn it to insult my basketball acumen.

Reaction Score
Okay, understand what I said in the original post, I said I was worried or scared or something to that effect. I never accused lou of being a bad free through shooter. She missed an important one and then went on to make her last three opportunities. When she missed the first of the four, I was worried for each of the lst 3 that she ended up making. it is not a matter of being right or wrong. I said I was worried. I never said anything negative about Lou or Pheesa. Do you remember the free throws Donyell missed in the 90's. I do. Good players don't always come through. So stop trying to say I was insinuating that lou was a bad free throw shooter. Please try to understand my post and not jump to some conclusion and try to turn it to insult my basketball acumen.
Last comment from my side. I did not say you were saying anything bad about Lou or any other player. My feedback on your post had to do with over-reacting to one free throw miss. She is an excellent FT shooter and disagreed with your concern, end of story. My original reply was simple and direct. Your next reply to me is what made it more than that and was insulting with your sarcasm.

I don't get into defending players, just addressing the comments at hand as I see them. It's your business if you wanted to worry about it, but if you post something then you are welcoming feedback, or at least I thought.

No worries either way, glad we won and she made 8-9 from the line. Unfortunately she missed another free throw so there is still work to do at the line in crunch time for her: - )

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Last comment from my side. I did not say you were saying anything bad about Lou or any other player. My feedback on your post had to do with over-reacting to one free throw miss. She is an excellent FT shooter and disagreed with your concern, end of story. My original reply was simple and direct. Your next reply to me is what made it more than that and was insulting with your sarcasm.

I don't get into defending players, just addressing the comments at hand as I see them. It's your business if you wanted to worry about it, but if you post something then you are welcoming feedback, or at least I thought.

No worries either way, glad we won and she made 8-9 from the line. Unfortunately she missed another free throw so there is still work to do at the line in crunch time for her: - )
Glad we got this out of the way. Go Huskies

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom