UCLA (7) @ Southern California - 1/17/20 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA (7) @ Southern California - 1/17/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I'm sure the USC fans can give some tips on crying, since they've been so pathetic in recent years.
What USC fans? It was parents, relatives and a few fans.
USC once played UCSB in the WNIT. Attendance was 250 and UCSB brought 2 bus loads of fans, otherwise there would have been 100 there for a Tournament game. Just beat the Ruins and that may have saved Trakhs job.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Bruins fans starting to sound like UConn fans after the last two games, and UConn won those games.

Doom and Gloom at BRO Sports.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
USC once played UCSB in the WNIT. Attendance was 250 and UCSB brought 2 bus loads of fans, otherwise there would have been 100 there for a Tournament game. Just beat the Ruins and that may have saved Trakhs job.
You think his job was in jeopardy this season? I doubt it.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Woke up this morning shocked to see UCLA lost to USC in double OT. Didn't see that coming. Didn't know how good UCLA was, guess we found out tonight.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 front-runners are killing their #1 seed chances with soft losses:
Stanford to Texas
OSU and Oregon to ASU
UCLA to USC
I'm not certain the Oregon school losses to ASU would be considered soft. When the season is over and we look back we may have a different view of the Sun Devils.

Clearly this is what happens with parity. Even if the top teams in the conference of champions enter the big dance on the number two line instead of the number one that shouldn't be any roadblock on the road to the final four. The block will be the quality of the other teams in the top eight.

This LA Times article describes that parity. Interestingly the coaches have a much different view of the Pac-12 Network than the one voiced on the BY.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This observation illustrates the challenge with attendance at women's basketball games.

Unfortunately there are too few games that draw on the level of Oregon-Stanford Thursday night compared to the vast majority of games that draw in the way you described.

Reaction Score
UCLA didnt have their best player last night. Is a loss that surprising?

What if UConn didnt have Walker the past two games?

Reaction Score
UCLA didnt have their best player last night. Is a loss that surprising?

You would think the last undefeated and the #7 team in the country wouldn’t be that sorely lacking in depth to lose to one of the bottom teams in the PAC. But I had a hunch it might happen.

Reaction Score
This observation illustrates the challenge with attendance at women's basketball games.

Unfortunately there are too few games that draw on the level of Oregon-Stanford Thursday night compared to the vast majority of games that draw in the way you described.
Oregon has been drawing well all season even with the cup cakes. Lets check the Oregon-Cal game attendance numbers on Sunday to see where it is at. Oregon draws well for all sports. I have seen sold out softball games on more than one occasion.

Reaction Score
You would think the last undefeated and the #7 team in the country wouldn’t be that sorely lacking in depth to lose to one of the bottom teams in the PAC. But I had a hunch it might happen.
You are 100% correct. It was not a pretty game for either team. Look at the shooting percentages, especially in the first half. UCLA shot 29% for the game and I believe it was around 18% for the half. USC had a 30-17 halftime lead.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm not certain the Oregon school losses to ASU would be considered soft. When the season is over and we look back we may have a different view of the Sun Devils.

Clearly this is what happens with parity. Even if the top teams in the conference of champions enter the big dance on the number two line instead of the number one that shouldn't be any roadblock on the road to the final four. The block will be the quality of the other teams in the top eight.

This LA Times article describes that parity. Interestingly the coaches have a much different view of the Pac-12 Network than the one voice on the BY.

The one voice on the BY? I read last year where a number of Pac 12 fans complained about the Pac 12 contract and the guy who is responsible for it. It lost a number of viewers, especially in the Midwest.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually, I don't think you can always assume that. Not that UCLA should have been 7th anyway but when a team loses a key scorer and rebounder, yes, that can cripple a team especially one without depth at that position. UConn would be in exactly that same situation if it lost Meg or ONO, it could probably survive with issues to any of the others.

Again, UCLA was somewhat the beneficiary of a soft early schedule (not a terrible one) and is definitely a top 16 team, just where in the range of 8-16 do they belong has to be answered.

Reaction Score
UCLA remains undefeated this week. Will they be undefeated after next weekend when they have to go to Arizona.
I don't think anyone knew UCLA's best player was going to have to sit out this game.

Reaction Score
I think one could also argue about the strength of the conference of champions top to bottom. Their big Pili was a handful when the Sun Devils play them in SoCal earlier in the year.

I believe she had 15 points in the 4th quarter. To look at her you wouldn't think she would have the stamina to have that kind of energy at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Average attendance at D1 WWB last year 1583.

In what was essentially a home game one would expect the number one team in the country to draw above average.

Attendance: 1527.

Reaction Score
Woke up this morning shocked to see UCLA lost to USC in double OT. Didn't see that coming. Didn't know how good UCLA was, guess we found out tonight.
UCLA is a very different team without Onyenwere in its lineup. She does so much for the Bruins. She was seen in a boot last night.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Southern Cal doesn't draw well for MBB, either.

Reaction Score
Southern Cal doesn't draw well for MBB, either.
There is lots and lots to do in Southern California. And tons and tons of entertainment options. There are 11 million plus people in Los Angeles County some of them very bright marketers. One would expect at least above average attendance at a game with the then number 1 team in the nation - high quality entertainment.

Reaction Score
I suppose it's my years of watching the Sun Devils but I find defense high-quality entertainment.

Reaction Score
Oregon has been drawing well all season even with the cup cakes. Lets check the Oregon-Cal game attendance numbers on Sunday to see where it is at. Oregon draws well for all sports. I have seen sold out softball games on more than one occasion.
The Ducks are currently averaging over 10k/game (10,026) and I expect Cal to be over 10k. The following game, Oregon State, is already sold out so will be over 12.3K.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom