UCL & Europa 2019/20 | The Boneyard

UCL & Europa 2019/20

Reaction Score
It's a new season and the Champions group pods are out.

Group A: Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Club Brugge, Galatasaray​
Group B: Bayern Munich, Tottenham, Olympiakos, Red Star Belgrade​
Group C: Manchester City, Shaktar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb, Atalanta​
Group D: Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Lokomotiv Moscow​
Group E: Liverpool, Napoli, Salzburg, Genk​
Group F: Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan, Slavia Prague​
Group G: Zenit St. Petersburg, Benfica, Lyon, Leipzig​
Group H: Chelsea, Ajax, Valencia, Lille​

Arsenal is unfortunately missing Champions League yet again. That said, my two secondary teams are in. I feel good about Lyon's chances of advancing from Group G. As for Brugge in Group A, ouch! Of the EPL teams, I think Man City should have the easiest time. Tottenham will need to get its act together to come in second behind Bayren with a pair of expereinced teams to compete with on Group B. Liverpool should make it, though will have a fight with Napoli for first place while Salzburg can also be a challenege in Group E. Though Ajax was lucky to make it this far, I stil expect them to challenge a Chelsea team while Valancia is not easy either in Group H.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm all in on Leipzig to win the Group of Crap.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Group E: Liverpool, Napoli, Salzburg, Genk​
Liverpool should make it, though will have a fight with Napoli for first place while Salzburg can also be a challenege in Group E.​
Oh man, Zoo is not gonna be happy. RB Salzburg is managed by Jesse Marsh. Not only an ex MLS player, but an ex MLS coach. In the CL??? Oh the horrors. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Europa League Group F for Arsenal.
Eintracht Frankfurt
Standard Liege
Vitoria de Guimaraes

Not bad, nice travel for the team and the fans.

Reaction Score
Wolves get Braga (Portugal), Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia) and Beşiktaş (Turkey) in Group K Europa draw.

Reaction Score
Full draw for Europa.

Group A: Sevilla, APOEL, Qarabag, Dudelange​
Group B: Dynamo Kiev, FC Copenhagen, Malmo, Lugano​
Group C: Basel, Krasnodar, Getafe, Trabzonspor​
Group D: Sporting CP, PSV, Rosenborg, LASK​
Group E: Lazio, Celtic, Rennes, Cluj​
Group F: Arsenal, Eintracht Frankfurt, Standard Liege, Vitoria​
Group G: Porto, Young Boys, Feyenoord, Rangers​
Group H: CSKA Moscow, Ludogorets, Espanyol, Ferencvaros​
Group I: Wolfsburg, Gent, St. Etienne, Olexandriya​
Group J: Roma, Borussia Monchengladbach, Istanbul Basaksehir, Wolfsberg​
Group K: Besiktas, Braga, Wolves, Slovan Bratislava​
Group L: Manchester United, Astana, Partizan Belgrade, AZ Alkmaar​

While drawing Frankfurt in Group F could be a challenge for the Gunners, I'll take it as paired with a realtively light travel schedule:
  • Eintracht Frankfurt - Frankfurt Germany, 90 minute direct flight from Heathrow to Frankfurt + 15 minute drive
  • Standard Liege - Leige Belgium, 75 minute direct flight from Heathrow to Brussels + 1 hour drive
  • Vitoria SC - Guimarães Portugal - 2 1/2 hour direst flight from Heathrow to Porto + 45 minute drive
Now, Man U has a nightmare of a travel schedule. Imagine mid-week game in Kazahastan?
  • FC Astana - Nur-Sultan Kazakhstan, 6 1/2 hour overnight direct flight from Heathrow to Nur-Sultan + 20 minute drive
  • FK Partizan - Belgrade Serbia, 2 3/4 hour direct flight from Heathrow to Belgrade + 30 minute drive
  • AZ Alkmaar - Alkmaar Netherlands, 75 minute direct flight from Heathrow to Schiphol + 30 minute drive

Reaction Score
Oh man, Zoo is not gonna be happy. RB Salzburg is managed by Jesse Marsh. Not only an ex MLS player, but an ex MLS coach. In the CL??? Oh the horrors. :eek:

Wrong again old geezer. He’s great. He’s pushing for that next level and he probably should be our National Team manager now. But I am glad he is where he is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wrong again old geezer. He’s great. He’s pushing for that next level and he probably should be our National Team manager now. But I am glad he is where he is.
But, but, but....MLS. :eek:

Reaction Score
He’s a Champions League manager at the moment.

I love the way Red Bull operates in sports. Whether it’s in F1 or soccer. They develop drivers, players, engineers, mechanics, team principals and managers. Marsch will do well if he delivers results.

Reaction Score
Both my teams had very different feeling 2-2 draws. One felt like a win,
Spurs...maybe time for some fresh blood at the top?

Reaction Score
Did not see the game (I don't think it was broadcasted int he US); but, Real Madrid had to rally for a 2-2 draw with Club Brugge in Madrid with a goal scored late after Brugge went down to 10 men due to a Red Card (2x Yellow). As Brugge is one of my third European team (after Arsenal and Lyon), I am happy with an away tie (and 2 away goals); but, a win would have been sweet.

Reaction Score
They should have buried a 3rd early in the second half.

Bayern destroyed Spurs. Sonny had his chances + one for Ndombele and easily should have been 2-0 Spurs early on. Bayern has a team that can win it, just didn't think they'd drop 7 at WHL

& Atletico keeps cruising

Reaction Score
They should have buried a 3rd early in the second half.

Bayern destroyed Spurs. Sonny had his chances + one for Ndombele and easily should have been 2-0 Spurs early on. Bayern has a team that can win it, just didn't think they'd drop 7 at WHL

& Atletico keeps cruising
Joao Felix looking real good early on.
Also it's not White Hart Lane anymore but the L's feel the same ;)

Reaction Score
I am new to the international competitions and I just found that the 8 teams that finished 3rd in their respective Champions League Pool will now enter Europa after not surviving pool play. Four are seeded (Ajax, Red Bull Salzburg, Inter, Benfica) and four are not (Shakhtar Donetsk, Club Brugge, Olympiacos, Bayer Leverkusen).

As a fan of a team that had to play 12 matches (and went 10-1-1) to earn a trip to the KO stage, it seems like a cheap way in. Hell, in Champions pool play Club Brugge was 0-3-3 and Olympiakos was 1-1-4!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am new to the international competitions and I just found that Ajax, Red Bull Salzburg and Inter Milan will now enter Europa after not surviving pool play in Champions League. All three are seeded as well.

How does that work? What is the criteria for teams dropping in like that?

It’s something like the 3rd place teams in the Group get slotted into the knockout rounds of Europa.

Reaction Score
It’s something like the 3rd place teams in the Group get slotted into the knockout rounds of Europa.

Yeah, I did some research and revised my post. Not a big fan of that, but who the Hell am I?

Reaction Score
I am new to the international competitions and I just found that the 8 teams that finished 3rd in their respective Champions League Pool will now enter Europa after not surviving pool play. Four are seeded (Ajax, Red Bull Salzburg, Inter, Benfica) and four are not (Shakhtar Donetsk, Club Brugge, Olympiacos, Bayer Leverkusen).

As a fan of a team that had to play 12 matches (and went 10-1-1) to earn a trip to the KO stage, it seems like a cheap way in. Hell, in Champions pool play Club Brugge was 0-3-3 and Olympiakos was 1-1-4!

How is it a cheap way in? They all had to qualify for Champions League group play to have a chance to finish third. I don't know who your team is, but did it do what it had to do to qualify for Champions League group play in the first instance? (That was hypothetical.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, I did some research and revised my post. Not a big fan of that, but who the Hell am I?
True, it is what it is. UEFA needs the juice of the dropping CL teams to make the Europa League more attractive going forward.

Reaction Score
How is it a cheap way in? They all had to qualify for Champions League group play to have a chance to finish third. I don't know who your team is, but did it do what it had to do to qualify for Champions League group play in the first instance? (That was hypothetical.)

I follow Wolves and no, they are not a Champions League caliber side if you go by the fact that they had to finish no lower than 4th in the EPL to qualify. They did win all six of their qualifying matches and then went 4-1-1 in pool play. I have to agree with Waquoit that Europa is more attractive with Benfica, Salzburg and Ajax than it is without them.

I'm curious to see if and how they would match up against some of these regulators from CL pool play.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm curious to see if and how they would match up against some of these regulators from CL pool play.
The way you guys are playing you might just find out first hand next fall.

Reaction Score
I follow Wolves and no, they are not a Champions League caliber side if you go by the fact that they had to finish no lower than 4th in the EPL to qualify. They did win all six of their qualifying matches and then went 4-1-1 in pool play. I have to agree with Waquoit that Europa is more attractive with Benfica, Salzburg and Ajax than it is without them.

Wolves has been fantastic since promotion, and has every chance of playing itself into the CL for next year by finishing Top 4. You should be thrilled. And my guess is Wolves is better than a number of the teams who are dropping out of the CL after group stage.

My point is that if Spurs finished third in its CL group instead of second, you don't get to say Spurs had an easier path to the Europa knockout than Wolves because Spurs outplayed Wolves over the course of a 38 game balanced schedule season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Grumpy Pundits were saying Wolves are the 2nd best PL team today.

ADD: Just hit me that BL and AreBee are adversary's Sunday morn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom