UCF Pre-Game Press | The Boneyard

UCF Pre-Game Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What's up with the comments about Mikayla around 8:30? That didn't sound too good.

Reaction Score
I have to say that when I hear Geno criticizing players on his team for their lack of toughness, inconsistency or lack of skills perhaps it should be remembered that he was the one who recruited them..............................it's as if he's constantly surprised by the team he hand picked...........................it's like they are strangers who just showed up at the gym one day

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Geno is in quite the mood here.

Q. Are you guys ready for their physicality?
A. Probably not. We're not ready for anybody's physicality. ...
Q. So how do you improve on that—can you improve on that, moving forward?
A. Recruiting.
Q. So this year you don't—
A. No. Not gonna happen. You are who you are, that's not gonna change. ... [He goes on to make the point that the team really struggles in a grind-it-out, half-court type of game.]
Q. Could it be a good time for Batouly to carve out a role, because she has that physical stature?
A. She does. She does. And if we could keep her from fouling every other possession, that's a big help, for sure. ...

Q. Where's Mikayla at, is she—
A. I dunno, you should ask her where she is. [Reporter laughs.] Seriously, I don't wanna answer any questions about Mikayla. I'd rather talk about guys that are gonna play a lot.

Reaction Score
do any other coaches throw their players under the bus publicly like Geno does.....................great for the press..............great for recruiting...............................for Notre Dame that is..............

Reaction Score
He seems to be frustrated with Coombs that her output isn't matching her talent. I'm glad he is recognizing there is a recruiting issue to deal with though. Half the battle is recognizing the problem so lets hope we see a nudge in the strategy....

Reaction Score
Geno is in quite the mood here.

Q. Are you guys ready for their physicality?
A. Probably not. We're not ready for anybody's physicality. ...
Q. So how do you improve on that—can you improve on that, moving forward?
A. Recruiting.
Q. So this year you don't—
A. No. Not gonna happen. You are who you are, that's not gonna change. ... [He goes on to make the point that the team really struggles in a grind-it-out, half-court type of game.]
Q. Could it be a good time for Batouly to carve out a role, because she has that physical stature?
A. She does. She does. And if we could keep her from fouling every other possession, that's a big help, for sure. ...

Q. Where's Mikayla at, is she—
A. I dunno, you should ask her where she is. [Reporter laughs.] Seriously, I don't wanna answer any questions about Mikayla. I'd rather talk about guys that are gonna play a lot.
His comments about the team’s lack of physicality are absolutely right. Anyone who didn’t see it coming at the start of the season wasn’t paying attention. And IMO, the problem isn’t all about size. This team is too nice, they need some snarl.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Snarl? Did someone say, "Snarl"?

AR-180419868.jpg&Maxw=960&q=75

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
His comments about the team’s lack of physicality are absolutely right. Anyone who didn’t see it coming at the start of the season wasn’t paying attention. And IMO, the problem isn’t all about size. This team is too nice, they need some snarl.

They do need a bit of snarl or “grit” as I like to call it. Crystal showed some spur of the moment snarl during the Temple game that I and several others endorsed, while others found it out of character and distasteful.

I do remember Geno saying on several occasions that this team is too nice. Perhaps a happy medium can be found somewhere in the middle.

Reaction Score
They do need a bit of snarl or “grit” as I like to call it. Crystal showed some spur of the moment snarl during the Temple game that I and several others endorsed, while others found it out of character and distasteful.

I do remember Geno saying on several occasions that this team is too nice. Perhaps a happy medium can be found somewhere in the middle.
It is out of character and distasteful....... on a golf course. A couple of real hardasses can be a coach’s best friends. Because sometimes they can convert a couple others.

Reaction Score
Great coaches are great psychologists!
If anyone wants to know what Geno is telling his players, just listen to Napheesa’s interview. I find it hard to criticize his approach. He’s challenging his players to be exceptional.
Maybe you’re right, if you don’t want to be great, go somewhere else and play!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Exactly. What did that football coach say a few years ago? “We don’t need no cats. We need some dawgs”.
True.
It is out of character and distasteful.. on a golf course. A couple of real hardasses can be a coach’s best friends. Because sometimes they can convert a couple others.
Even more true. The worst thing to do though is if you don't have "dawg" in you is to try and fake it. I don't think this team has it, nor do I think they need it to be successful.

Reaction Score
What's up with the comments about Mikayla around 8:30? That didn't sound too good.
Dumb question, to ask a hall of fame coach about the 9th or 10th man on his team. I’m thinking of someone in an interview asking my college coach about me. Frickin ridiculous. I felt good when my coach remembered my name or said hello to me.
How about if everyone promises not to even talk about Mikayla until she at least makes a shot!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Dumb question, to ask a hall of fame coach about the 9th or 10th man on his team. I’m thinking of someone in an interview asking my college coach about me. Frickin ridiculous. I felt good when my coach remembered my name or said hello to me.
How about if everyone promises not to even talk about Mikayla until she at least makes a shot!

Reporter's are supposed to ask questions on the mind of fans. Since the BY has devoted lots of energy and a relatively busy thread on Mikayla, it is on the minds of many and the question should be asked. Geno was also asked about Batouly being used in a game where physicality is critical and while his answer was not as dismissive, he got his point across. " I would love to use Batouly if we figure out how to stop her from fouling every other play".

Reaction Score
Reporter's are supposed to ask questions on the mind of fans. Since the BY has devoted lots of energy and a relatively busy thread on Mikayla, it is on the minds of many and the question should be asked. Geno was also asked about Batouly being used in a game where physicality is critical and while his answer was not as dismissive, he got his point across. " I would love to use Batouly if we figure out how to stop her from fouling every other play".
Ok, if you say so. She’s a player that has never done anything at the college level in her life. What’s he gunna say? She plays hard, predominantly right handed, can’t shoot. We already know that. I know the BY loves to talk about the end of the bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok, if you say so. She’s a player that has never done anything at the college level in her life. What’s he gunna say? She plays hard, predominantly right handed, can’t shoot. We already know that. I know the BY loves to talk about the end of the bench.
A little context is important here: UCONN is getting ready to face a "physical" team in UCF. The last time UCONN faced a physical team (Baylor) Mikayla was the first sub off the bench and Batouly was the second.
I am fairly sure that's what prompted the reporters questions and I'm positive they don't care about what the BY thinks of Mikayla. The question was not intended to give a scouting report on MIkayla it was intended to ask if Mikayla and Batouly will have a role in the game tomorrow. My guess is no, neither player will have a role in the game tomorrow. I didn't know that before listening to Geno answer those questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom