UCF Pre-Game Notes | The Boneyard

UCF Pre-Game Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCF is 10-3. Last year at this time they were 3-10. This is their best start in over 30 years! Their new coach, Coach Abe is a player. This is good for UCF and the AAC. Coach Abe did great things up at UAlbany the last few years. When she got this job during the summer, she hired her two top assistants from Albany to come along with her. And then she made a precious hire for her third assistant, our own Nykesha Sales. This should be fun. Sure hope Precious doesn't give away the store. :rolleyes:

upload_2016-12-31_13-51-44.png

The Knights hosting UConn (12-0) on New Year’s Day at CFE Arena at 1 p.m.to open up its conference schedule and this stage could be the perfect platform for the knights to show their transformation under Coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson.

“I really haven’t said UConn’s name a lot in practice because I want them to be fearless coming out here,” Abrahamson-Henderson said on Friday after practice.

“[I want them to] take care of the ball and not turn it over and really know our shot clock plays. We got to know our shot clock plays because they force you out of all your sets and your offense and I just want us to be poised and not let us get rattled.”

[MORE]

Click [HERE] for 2O16-17 UCF women's basketball information

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If mommy says don't say wolf--cuz she knows she is afraid of wolves---isn't the message there by not using the name???

Exactly. I do suspect these kids know who is on the schedule next. Seeing her own words in print, I suspect she wishes she pulled them back.

Reaction Score
I've now read a number of sources who imply or say directly that UConn escaped with a win at MD.

Never mind the points ( and UConn did score at least one more than Maryland). There was never a moment in the game when the win was in doubt.

Watch the game.

Reaction Score
What is the first thing most teams look for when they see their schedule for the first time..... when they play UCONN. What is the first thing a team looks for when the NCAA Brackets come out.... if they are in UCONN's bracket. Everyone knows, the coach doesn't need to hide anything from them. Won't be much of a game, but I hope some of the freshman get some time.

Reaction Score
clearly, all are healthy as of the practice. but the norovirus strikes completely without warning. just hope it's already cycled through everyone.

Reaction Score
I've now read a number of sources who imply or say directly that UConn escaped with a win at MD.

Never mind the points ( and UConn did score at least one more than Maryland). There was never a moment in the game when the win was in doubt.

Watch the game.

They certainly did ESCAPE---isn't that what a sneak thief does---come's into your home--takes a precious possession and ESCAPES for Florida with their ill gotten gain--all the while smiling gleefully!!

Reaction Score
clearly, all are healthy as of the practice. but the norovirus strikes completely without warning. just hope it's already cycled through everyone.
You are right about hitting without warning. When it hit me I was perfect in the AM but late afternoon --down and out. What bothered me was how long it hung around---I've had the 13/23 and pneumonia shots, etc--and usually these things are almost a walk in the park--NOT this one

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If mommy says don't say wolf--cuz she knows she is afraid of wolves---isn't the message there by not using the name???
Only if you use the names of others. Many coaches never speak the name of an opponent because they want the emphasis on how their team executes what they do everyday in practice and not on who the opponent is.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Watch the game.
And Maryland never, ever lead during the whole game.

But I say let them think what they want.

Reaction Score

Watch the game.
Well, like Casey Stengel (I think) use to say, "ain't no pictures in the score-book."

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Looks like Lou and Kia will be raining 3s again tomorrow. :D

2 things I noticed.
1)No Barf Bucket on the sidelines, that's a positive.
2) Lou had her hair in a pony tail,(like sister Karlie does) not a bun. New style for the New Year?

Reaction Score
Former UConn star Nykesha Sales loving the coaching life
by Jim Fuller

Tomorrow Sales, who is in her first season as an assistant coach on the staff of UCF coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, will be on the opposing sideline from her college coach for the very first time.

At American Athletic Conference media day, Abrahamson-Henderson talked about how she saw Sales playing a pickup game on the UCF campus and that started the process of her offering Sales a chance to join her staff.

"It was a conversation," Sales said. "This might be something I could be interested in because she is adamant about teaching me how to coach. I played a lot of years but I wouldn't say I knew how to coach. I wanted to see if I knew how to coach, I didn't just make that expectation that because I played professionally for 15 years, I know how to coach, I didn't come in that way. With her making me feel confident 'don't worry, I will teach you everything.' That is what made me say that maybe this would be a good idea for me."

The first person Sales called when Abrahamson-Henderson suggested to Sales that she consider joining the UCF staff was [Geno] Auriemma.

What is interesting is that four core players from UConn's first national championship team are coaching with Sales being joined by Tufts head coach Carla Berube, Cincinnati head coach Jamelle Elliott and George Washington head coach Jen Rizzotti. ESPN's Rebecca Lobo and SNY's Kara Wolters have prominent broadcasting roles meaning a large percentage of that 1994-95 team is still very involved and visible in the world of women's basketball.

"The experiences we had in college were unbelievable and it is hard to walk away from that," Sales said. "A lot of players won't be able to play professionally either at all or for a long time so you still want to be involved. You learn a lot of things early being coached by Coach Auriemma so you feel like you could bring what you learn, what kind of things you need instilled on the team in order to win because all of us have won in college and you are itching to get back into the game. I am definitely not surprised. All of them are doing great things and I think you learn that early. You had such a great college experience, some people don't at all but we all did and we all wanted to bring that to the younger generation and show them how it is really done."

Click [HERE] for Jim Fuller’s entire article

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
2 things I noticed.
1)No Barf Bucket on the sidelines, that's a positive.
2) Lou had her hair in a pony tail,(like sister Karlie does) not a bun. New style for the New Year?

Do you think CD has hair standards or is it just that DT set the Bun Standard? I don't ever want to see a Husky out there with whatever Kelsey Mitchell calls her Do!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Former UConn star Nykesha Sales loving the coaching life
by Jim Fuller

Tomorrow Sales, who is in her first season as an assistant coach on the staff of UCF coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson, will be on the opposing sideline from her college coach for the very first time.

At American Athletic Conference media day, Abrahamson-Henderson talked about how she saw Sales playing a pickup game on the UCF campus and that started the process of her offering Sales a chance to join her staff.

"It was a conversation," Sales said. "This might be something I could be interested in because she is adamant about teaching me how to coach. I played a lot of years but I wouldn't say I knew how to coach. I wanted to see if I knew how to coach, I didn't just make that expectation that because I played professionally for 15 years, I know how to coach, I didn't come in that way. With her making me feel confident 'don't worry, I will teach you everything.' That is what made me say that maybe this would be a good idea for me."

The first person Sales called when Abrahamson-Henderson suggested to Sales that she consider joining the UCF staff was [Geno] Auriemma.

What is interesting is that four core players from UConn's first national championship team are coaching with Sales being joined by Tufts head coach Carla Berube, Cincinnati head coach Jamelle Elliott and George Washington head coach Jen Rizzotti. ESPN's Rebecca Lobo and SNY's Kara Wolters have prominent broadcasting roles meaning a large percentage of that 1994-95 team is still very involved and visible in the world of women's basketball.

"The experiences we had in college were unbelievable and it is hard to walk away from that," Sales said. "A lot of players won't be able to play professionally either at all or for a long time so you still want to be involved. You learn a lot of things early being coached by Coach Auriemma so you feel like you could bring what you learn, what kind of things you need instilled on the team in order to win because all of us have won in college and you are itching to get back into the game. I am definitely not surprised. All of them are doing great things and I think you learn that early. You had such a great college experience, some people don't at all but we all did and we all wanted to bring that to the younger generation and show them how it is really done."

Click [HERE] for Jim Fuller’s entire article

Kesha has always been a favorite of mine. Tough as nails, yet she has this quiet dignity and thoughtfulness about her. Was delighted to hear her decision to come back to the game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I would like to know the back story of her first meeting with the UCF coach.

"Abrahamson-Henderson talked about how she saw Sales playing a pickup game on the UCF campus and that started the process of her offering Sales a chance to join her staff"

Why was Nykessa playing a pickup game on the UCF campus? Maybe she has family she was visiting?

Also, UCF should worry if the coach is bigger than every player on the team.:rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think Sales lives in Orlando even prior to the job.

Great that she is doing well.

Reaction Score
J'Man thanks for posting and mentioning that Nykesha has joined the staff at UCF. Probably was posted some where earlier on the BY and I missed it. Good for her. One of my all time favorites and she was...Precious.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Wonder what she was doing to earn a living? Or did she need to?

At the higher levels, coaching can pay some bills. Who knows where this might lead?

Reaction Score
Oh no! This could be serious! Everyone knows that when you're on a streak you don't change anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom