UCF Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UCF Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never understand people saying they played scared. The offense was playing rushed because if UCF’s defense.
I’m talking about bad passes, picking up dribbles, and short arming 1’ shots. Maybe scared isn’t the word you’d use, but it’s the one I would. Deer in the headlights looks. I fully understand UCF played good defense, and kudos to them, but I don’t remember a Geno team that unprepared for it. The wrong people kept ending up with the ball when the shot clock was short. Just unforced errors. If we made layups we win by 20.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Nika only played 6 minutes; this seems like the sort of game she should excel in. But she was the only Connecticut player who shot at least 50% from the field.
i figured she must be injured. but no, she did appear briefly in Q2, made a 3 (azzi also nailed 4 and christyn 1, i believe, for the game) to put uconn in the lead after they'd fallen way behind. ... the team also, as usual, played more confidently and efficiently immediately when nika apppeared. but she picks up a second foul and never appears again.

that's OK if the team was playing up to snuff, but under the circumstanes -- they returned to their less than inspired offensive play -- unbelieveable.

Reaction Score
Not hidden

DATE 03/21/22T
ATTENDANCE 10167
SITE Harry A. Gampel Pavilion, Mansfield, CT
REFEREES Benny Luna, Katie Lukanich, Gina Cross
Thanks, Nan. I knew you would have that info.

Reaction Score
yea if you gonna say Ucf was a sore loser in this game so was Uconn vs Arz and you could see it in their face too, they didn't want to shake hands with Arz because they felt they were "above them" and losing to them was beneath them. Again I personally am tirede of the handshake discussion, we saw what happened in Michigan-Wisconsin men's game. If you don't want to do it that's fine, but just make it clear so we don't get any of this sore loser stuff.
Definitely sore losers

Reaction Score
Have never seen a UConn team play that scared. Scared to dribble, shoot, pass. Don’t even get me started on making layups. Hope they figure it out by tomorrow.
I totally agree. Best descriptor of UConn's game: scared, tentative and indecisive. Did you see how many times Azzi had a shot but passed it up, and our guards kept picking up their dribble in the back court? And our frontcourt gave a nonappearance performance once again. Thankfully Azzi finally quit passing up shots and put some in...

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Uconn "bigs" were 2-12 (17%). Those empty offensive possessions really hurt, especially when we failed to take advantage of UCF's intense defensive pressure on the ball well away from the basket. They should have paid a price for that strategy, but our failure to take advantage by making numerous "bunnies" permitted them to continue it, made it hard to get open looks for 3's and also to penetrate by passes and dribbling for mid-range jumpers. I'd love to see our bigs use pump fakes and genuine jumpers under/near the hoop.

Reaction Score
I thought we could win the title this year, yes it’s survive and advance so I’m happy with a one point win if that’s the case. This team makes poor decisions passing the ball and misses way too many layups and free throws to beat the likes of say Stanford. I love this team and want it badly for them, but I don’t think they are good enough in too many areas. They also lack the basketball IQ of most UConn teams. This will end badly like last year. I feel sorryfor the seniors because I can see how badly they want it. The main reason I know is they way they played tonight after the way last year ended and their lack of focus tonight. ONO fouled out, Evina was a no show and CW while not playing all that bad in the end, made a lot of poor decisions and was too laid back for the situation. They just don’t have what it takes and if they’re waiting on PB, she obviously isn’t right yet. Ughh this realization makes me sick to my stomach because I honestly thought we were gonna get pay back on everyone because we’ve been down this year and the commentators have been kicking us while we’ve been down, but I’m a realist, I’m gonna just enjoy the ride, but I know in my heart we won’t win it this year.
I am thinking different way with you, if we can passed this kind of though games, then we will get through others

Reaction Score
Have never seen a UConn team play that scared. Scared to dribble, shoot, pass. Don’t even get me started on making layups. Hope they figure it out by tomorrow.
there was a play where Paige was all alone in a breakaway and she missed an easy layup because she was scared that she might get contact on her, not good.

Reaction Score
I’m talking about bad passes, picking up dribbles, and short arming 1’ shots. Maybe scared isn’t the word you’d use, but it’s the one I would. Deer in the headlights looks. I fully understand UCF played good defense, and kudos to them, but I don’t remember a Geno team that unprepared for it. The wrong people kept ending up with the ball when the shot clock was short. Just unforced errors. If we made layups we win by 20.
I agree with you, just not mentally sharp AT ALL and it is definitely gonna cost us later in the tourney. We will be lucky to make the final 4 because NC State looks ready. Luckily it will be in Bridgeport because they will be hard to beat.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the UCF game:
  • WOW!!! I'm completely exhausted and I didn't play a minute.
  • I was really worried about UCF ahead of tonight's game. Unlike past UCF teams, this year’s version is longer, more athletic, and more experienced than any Black Knight team UConn ever faced back in the AAC days.
  • UConn clearly felt the pressure from the start of the game, getting sped up, turning the ball over, and missing an extraordinary number of layups.
  • This game was always going to be won on defense, and from the second quarter on UConn dug down deep and really stepped up their defensive effort, holding UCF to 47 points. The Huskies blocked 9 shots, forced numerous charging calls and turned the Black Knights over 20 times.
  • While UCF is a very good team, they still employ their infamous “HACK A HUSKY” defense. UConn benefitted to the tune of 8 more made FT’s.
  • Some really big shots in the 4th qtr from Azzi, Christyn & Paige helped the Huskies hold on to this one by their fingernails, with Christyn & Azzi icing it with 4 clutch FT's.
  • For those who keep track of these things, with the win tonight, UConn has qualified for the Sweet 16 for the 28th straight time….Ho hum…..;)
  • NOTE TO BONEYARD: I’ll be at the games in Bridgeport next weekend, so thanks in advance for someone else initiating the postgame thread. If UConn makes it to the FF, I’ll be back on the job in 2 weeks.
Unfortunately, missing lay-ups has become a UConn trait. Again, tonite they excelled. Between the missed lay-ups and the shuffle your feet traveling calls, it is hard to watch sometimes. I knew tonite would be a dog fight but never imagined it would be this bad.
Congratulations on toughing it out. I doubt you'll see another defense this ornery.

Reaction Score
Why did Bueckers have to start? The team was clicking, had great chemistry, and was getting off to tremendous starts. She was certainly and rightfully going to get her minutes but how could her starting add anything to the tremendous starts the team was already having? So Auriemma changed the lineup and they started rather sluggishly against Mercer but it didn’t show or matter. But tonight they were down 6 after one; so has changing the starting lineup been a positive? I say no, others may disagree, but I don’t see how. But not playing Muhl or Ducharme in the 2nd half at all is very surprising to me, especially in light of the way the team was playing.
I think Paige is still showing lots of "rust" and also a lack of the "takeover confidence" that was characteristic of her play last year. Her passing was not crisp - more lob passes than zip line passes - and she never demanded the ball in critical situations. Christian Williams played great and will likely assume that team leader role for however long this team lasts.

Reaction Score
As one of the posters mentioned above, I was having deja vu remembering the Arizona game last year

Reaction Score
My (over)reaction actually sent my wife to bed. I made Geno look calm.
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by O&O, Inc
I had to put my husband in a time out.

Reaction Score
He was looking for offense, and did not think they would provide it. I think Nika was hoping, but Ducharme had a poor game
Caroline had a poor game? She played four minutes and missed two layups. If Geno had benched everyone who missed two layups, UConn would've had a pretty sparse array of players on the court by the second half. I hope if she has a good week of practice, Geno gives Caroline another chance in the next game. There will be games (including tonight) when it would be handy to have her point production.

Reaction Score
Scared works for me.... If we have to be nice here, then tentative....

Reaction Score
How did she have a poor game? She was 0-2 in a few mins. When she is in she makes things happen. Those are Geno's past words. She can rebound and play defense. Also seen her come up big and gets open. I actually think she could have been impactful if she played.
You don't call that a poor game? How about then Caroline made no contribution to the team, albeit Geno put a quick hook on her... Comparatively speaking though, you're right--if missing bunnies was the standard for being pulled, we wouldn't have been able to field a team....

Reaction Score

Oh, right, all those scorers lit it up with 26 points in the 2nd half after scoring, oh, 26 in the 1st half. And what happened to employing the intense defense that generates easy breakout baskets and fuels runs which he has emphasized about a million times through the years? Funny, Uconn‘s biggest quarter win was the 2nd with Ducharme and Muhl getting their only minutes; 2 of the other 3 quarters Uconn was outscored, actually losing those 3 quarters in total. Like I said, IMO he coached a lousy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom