• Dean outplays MacDonald but the Wildcats win

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MacDonald dominates and the Wildcats win

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • MacDonald dominates but UCLA wins

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
In the Wildcat's victory over ASU Sunday MacDonald led all scorers with 20 points. She was hampered by fouls and eventually fouled out in the game playing only 28 minutes. Along with her teammate Reece the Wildcats present a challenge for their Pac-12 opponents.

On this upcoming Sunday in a marquee matchup U Arizona and UCLA undefeated PAC powers (assuming both take care of business Friday as the Bruins host ASU and the Wildcats play USC) face off in Los Angeles.

This contest features two of the country's best guards as MacDonald and Dean face off.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, first it's Aari McDonald, not "MacDonald", second Dean is a nice player, but she's not even the best player on her own team. Aari will be the best player on the floor that every team tries to stop and as Dan Patrick used to say, "you can't stop Aari McDonald, you can only hope to contain her"...;)

Reaction Score
Onyenwere is playing at a very high level. Very difficult to defend her jumper. Arizona's Sam Thomas may get that assignment.

Onyenwere's play will likely determine which team stays undefeated following this game.

Reaction Score
You may be right. The Wildcat's Reese is quietly putting together an outstanding season.(she had a double-double against ASU) I think she can score with Onyenwere so I wonder if the deciding factor in this game will be team defense?

McDonald did get in foul trouble against the Sun Devils if she's in that position against UCLA I do not see a way for the Wildcats to win.

Coach Barnes made the point that in tracking her team's play she goes beyond merely steals but looks about the defensive end of the floor for 50/50 balls, deflections, and taps whatever that is. I thought when reading this it's a risky strategy depending on how a game is officiated. Those reach ins for deflections can easily turn into fouls as MacDonald discovered in Sunday's game in Tempe.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This will be one very exciting point guard matchup. Both super quick and very pesky on defense. I don't expect one or the other to dominate. I expect them both to do well. UCLA *should* win because they have the better and more balanced cast of players (plus they're playing at home).

The front court duo of Onyenwere and Lauryn Miller is combining to average 15 rebounds per game, and I don't think Arizona has a good second big to match up with whoever Reese isn't guarding. I do think Arizona will need a couple of the supporting cast players to step up big time to win this game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Semaj Smith is much improved as a soph for Arizona. Smith against Miller could be an interesting match up, both taking on much bigger roles for their team this season.

I think the key when playing against UCLA is always trying to limit them on the O boards. Good luck with that.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Semaj Smith is much improved as a soph for Arizona. Smith against Miller could be an interesting match up, both taking on much bigger roles for their team this season.

I think the key when playing against UCLA is always trying to limit them on the O boards. Good luck with that.
Isn't the negating factor of UCLA Cori Close as the coach? Beating USC Trojans is one thing where athletic ability can take over, but beating a similar opponent with a coach who study's chess while you play checkers is another aspect altogether and is why she will always finish behind Tara, Scott, Kelly... :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Isn't the negating factor of UCLA Cori Close as the coach? Beating USC Trojans is one thing where athletic ability can take over, but beating a similar opponent with a coach who study's chess while you play checkers is another aspect altogether and is why she will always finish behind Tara, Scott, Kelly... :rolleyes:

I haven't been the biggest believer in Close's coaching ability, but maybe I haven't been giving her enough credit. I was just looking at her record the other day, the Bruins have finished 3rd or 4th in the conference the last 4 years and have gone at least as far as the Sweet 16 (one Elite 8) the last 4 years. A few other coaches have done better, but that's pretty good.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I haven't been the biggest believer in Close's coaching ability, but maybe I haven't been giving her enough credit. I was just looking at her record the other day, the Bruins have finished 3rd or 4th in the conference the last 4 years and have gone at least as far as the Sweet 16 (one Elite 8) the last 4 years. A few other coaches have done better, but that's pretty good.
Umm, using that logic, Brenda with her 1 title, 3 final Fours and 6 Elite Eights will also have to be considered elite. I think both can recruit outstandingly but in close games, I am doubtful until proven otherwise...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Since the game is in Westwood, I think the Bruins bear down on Arizona and get the W. My brother is a U of A season ticket holder, but I don't think the Wildcats are quite there to beat UCLA on the road.

Reaction Score
After the Friday night games I'm even more excited about the guard matchup Sunday between MacDonald and Dean. So far the poll has UCLA winning by a vote of 15 to 4.

The two guards had strong performances Friday as MacDonald had for 24 against the Trojans and Dean 23 against the Sun Devils. Both played comparable minutes had comparable shooting percentages.

Dean really took over the game in the last four minutes against the Sun Devils and showed a dynamic floor presence.

We're in for a real treat Sunday. Looking forward to that game. After Oregon take took care of Colorado one more unbeaten will fall Sunday and the BY thinks it will be the UCLA Bruins who stand undefeated with Oregon State.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And UCLA takes the prize with a dominant second half.

Who'da thunk that UCF would give UCLA a tougher game than Arizona did?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No surprise here. Arizona is the real deal, but just lost the first of what I expect to be 3 in a row with the 2 Oregon schools next week.

They may have a shot at UCLA when we play them in Tucson. Not a great shot, but a chance. I also think Arizona could be an upset victim to someone, but as I say, might have one in them. Not expecting it to be Oregon or Oregon State (home or away) but maybe Stanford at home if not UCLA.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No surprise here. Arizona is the real deal, but just lost the first of what I expect to be 3 in a row with the 2 Oregon schools next week.

OSU was not impressive today. Cats can take them in Tucson I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom