U23 and Italy in conflict | The Boneyard

U23 and Italy in conflict

Reaction Score
Anyone who makes the U23 team will be unable to make the Italy trip. Good thing there are 13 players! Lots of playing time for the Freshmen.

Reaction Score
Anyone who makes the U23 team will be unable to make the Italy trip. Good thing there are 13 players! Lots of playing time for the Freshmen.

None of the UConn players at the U23 trials are going to the U23 tournament. They are only there to participate in the trials and will go to
Italy with the rest of their UConn teammates.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Glad to know that the UConn team trip has priority, but this does create something of an awkward situation. Will the U23 team select and then replace the Huskies or will they just select other players knowing that the Huskies have other plans?

Reaction Score
Glad to know that the UConn team trip has priority, but this does create something of an awkward situation. Will the U23 team select and then replace the Huskies or will they just select other players knowing that the Huskies have other plans?

If it's known to the reporter I'm sure the committee knows as well. Would be dumb not to tell them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If it's known to the reporter I'm sure the committee knows as well. Would be dumb not to tell them.
I assume that the committee knows that the Huskies are heading to Italy. My question really has to do with how the committee plans to deal with that situation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I assume that the committee knows that the Huskies are heading to Italy. My question really has to do with how the committee plans to deal with that situation.
They set up this four team format for this trials (which is an unusual approach for them) and I think it points to this being sort of a futures senior team trial - a chance for them to re-evaluate the college talent on their radar all playing under the same roof.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They set up this four team format for this trials (which is an unusual approach for them) and I think it points to this being sort of a futures senior team trial - a chance for them to re-evaluate the college talent on their radar all playing under the same roof.

Yup. Not ideal as far as our Husky women go, but they get the training participation and the rest of them gain scouting on the Huskies!

Reaction Score
I hope they put all 4 UConn players on one team..and "draft" Canada to be the PG. That would be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
The way they acted in the locker room after the miss st game, i think they want redemption and wouldn't miss the Italy trip for anything. It gives them a huge advantage to get ready for the upcoming season. By the time the season starts they will have 6-7 games under their belt.

Reaction Score
The way they acted in the locker room after the miss st game, i think they want redemption and wouldn't miss the Italy trip for anything. It gives them a huge advantage to get ready for the upcoming season. By the time the season starts they will have 6-7 games under their belt.
The trip just lets them keep up with South Carolina, who went to Japan already - played (and lost) 3 practice games against the Japanese NT.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The trip just lets them keep up with South Carolina, who went to Japan already - played (and lost) 3 practice games against the Japanese NT.
I'd lay a wager that the UConn team would beat the Japanese National team. We have potentially 6 2018 All American candidates (Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Azura, Nurse and Dangerfield) and a deep bench. This could be the best UConn team ever this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd lay a wager that the UConn team would beat the Japanese National team. We have potentially 6 2018 All American candidates (Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Azura, Nurse and Dangerfield) and a deep bench. This could be the best UConn team ever this year.
The Japanese national team is made up of older, veteran players, and they're pretty good. Not sure that the Huskies would beat Japan, but I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't lose by 20+ like the Gamecocks.

Reaction Score
This Italy trip isn't about keeping up with the Jones (USC) --it is about bonding, chemistry, and a bit to allow Geno get a look at ALL of his team against unknown competition. By the time this trip is over--each member of the team will know the pecking order, who runs the show, what it means to be a Husky--and the 13 will have a whole lot of together FUN-the new kid shall learn the difference in traveling with Geno and an AAU or HS team (in most College teams)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Japanese national team is made up of older, veteran players, and they're pretty good. Not sure that the Huskies would beat Japan, but I'm reasonably certain they wouldn't lose by 20+ like the Gamecocks.

We all know that we handed the Nat'l Championship to Miss St and they blew it.

Reaction Score
Did Mss St play the Japanese National team too?? That's a game I'd like to have seen!! Dang--again an hour late and nickle short.

Reaction Score

SC actually won 2 scrimmages agaisnt Japan. 1 being a score-stop-score game and the other a 3 quarter game. The last game was the only and full on scrimmage that SC lost. I'm not sure why UCONN would need to keep up with SC if they are going to be undefeated this coming season(said by everyone here).

Reaction Score
SC actually won 2 scrimmages agaisnt Japan. 1 being a score-stop-score game and the other a 3 quarter game. The last game was the only and full on scrimmage that SC lost. I'm not sure why UConn would need to keep up with SC if they are going to be undefeated this coming season(said by everyone here).

I was thinking the same thing. South Carolina is no match for Uconn this year. But neither is anyone else.

Reaction Score
SC actually won 2 scrimmages agaisnt Japan. 1 being a score-stop-score game and the other a 3 quarter game. The last game was the only and full on scrimmage that SC lost. I'm not sure why UConn would need to keep up with SC if they are going to be undefeated this coming season(said by everyone here).

I'm a little confused. This gives a diffrent impression:

The University of South Carolina Gamecocks women’s basketball team, the reigning NCAA champions, recently completed a tour of Tokyo that included three scrimmages against Japan’s women’s national team and a little time off the court to experience Japanese culture and get a feel for the city where the next Summer Olympics will be held in 2020.

Perhaps as they were just getting back to work during this offseason and were still rusty, the Gamecocks lost all three games against Japan, which has held a series of training camps since the spring in preparation for the July 23-29 FIBA Asia Cup.

Of the three exhibitions contests, the first was played using three 10-minute periods, while the other two had four 10-minute periods. The first two games were closed to the media, and the Akatsuki Five cruised past South Carolina 78-57 at the National Training Center in the third and final game.

Speaking to The Japan Times at the team hotel in Ikebukuro on Wednesday, just hours before the Gamecocks left Japan after a week-long stay, South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley said the results were “acceptable” given the circumstances.

But I thought we got better every time we played them,” said Staley, who has been the South Carolina bench supervisor since the 2008-09 season.

Staley pleased with South Carolina's play against Japan | The Japan Times

If a 21 point loss was the best they played then where did you read or hear that they won the first 2 scrimmages?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Is this what it would have been like if, after beating the USSR, the 1980 US Olympic hockey team would have lost to Finland? Mississippi State didn't finish the job.

Reaction Score
Broadway has these moments, don't you know.
Oh good this is only a MOMENT thing---I thought it was a life long affliction

oldude said:

RockyMTblue2 Said in reply to oldude:

Then Oldude said:
Not exactly sure what that has to do with the Japanese national team? :confused:

Who is having the "moment?'

But this being the summer I'm chilling--but I had to stop the ice man before he put that block in our ice box---burrrrrrrr it isn't fun sittin and chillin

Reaction Score
Why you jumping ugly. The news report clearly had it with your club doing its best in the last "game" and losing. It is just summer stuff. Chill out or take it to the Roost.

Was not jumping ugly only stating facts that didn't involve you just @Alydar and we are having a reasonable conversation so your dismissed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom