U19 USA vs Puerto Rico - Wednesday's Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U19 USA vs Puerto Rico - Wednesday's Game

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
OTHO, did anyone watch Russia v. Mali?? Maria Vadeeva with a MONSTER game putting up 22 points and 23 rebounds!!! Her and Raisa Musina should REALLY consider getting an American Education!! Both are tremendously talented!!

Vadeeva IS a monster. Would be an impact player from the start in college.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not hard to tell what Walker is good at and what she isn't yet.

Pretty mid-range and closer shots again, two terrific passes for assists, moves well without the ball; athletic, strong, and physical.

On the negative side her three point shot is ugly. Not really another word for it. She's not just missing, she's often not hitting the basket. Three air balls today.

Reaction Score
Observation, MW was in there getting rebounds in the last two games I watched.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Holmes seems to have lost a lot of weight. She will probably be a lot quicker this season.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
For much of the game it seemed like the USA players were engaged in a "how many bunnies can I miss?" contest. :D

Loved the action just before PR made their first basket. It looked like Saturday nite at the local mosh pit.

Reaction Score

Pretty mid-range and closer shots again, two terrific passes for assists, moves well without the ball; athletic, strong, and physical.

On the negative side her three point shot is ugly. Not really another word for it. She's not just missing, she's often not hitting the basket. Three air balls today.

So she'll be "Gabby?"

And as "Gabby" you can put an extra shooter around her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So she'll be "Gabby?"

And as "Gabby" you can put an extra shooter around her.

Actually think Walker and Gabby are pretty different players. Among the many other things I like about Gabby is that she doesn't force long shots; she sticks with her strengths until she improves her weak spots. I'd like to see Walker take fewer threes and focus on her strengths during games.

Reaction Score
Actually think Walker and Gabby are pretty different players. Among the many other things I like about Gabby is that she doesn't force long shots; she sticks with her strengths until she improves her weak spots. I'd like to see Walker take fewer threes and focus on her strengths during games.
I doubt Geno will allow her to do that at UConn especially not during her first season. She will be doing the things she is good at while working in practice on the things she is isn't till she can prove that she can do those things consistinly.

Reaction Score

But Geno will not let Walker take many long shots if she shows she can't hit them.

So if she doesn't take 3's,--- Why can't she be "Gabby?"

She is a super athlete, that is strong and has very good handle. You don't want her hanging too much outside because for at least her 1st two years she won't be able to shoot 3pt shots well. Yet she can be a penetrator - drive and dish.

And she can finish on the inside.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So if she doesn't take 3's,--- Why can't she be "Gabby?"

She is a super athlete, that is strong and has very good handle. You don't want her hanging too much outside because for at least her 1st two years she won't be able to shoot 3pt shots well. Yet she can be a penetrator - drive and dish.

And she can finish on the inside.

Not sold on Walker's handle yet and she's a good athlete but not a Gabby-level athlete.

I like Walker finding open spaces without the ball, running the baseline, posting up smaller players, and coming off screens for jumpers. She'll be pretty good in transition too. She's just way too in love with the three for someone who's not good at it yet. I compared game in the past to Dwayne Wade's and Wade was fabulous while rarely shooting threes during his prime.

Reaction Score
Not sold on Walker's handle yet and she's a good athlete but not a Gabby-level athlete.

I like Walker finding open spaces without the ball, running the baseline, posting up smaller players, and coming off screens for jumpers. She'll be pretty good in transition too. She's just way too in love with the three for someone who's not good at it yet. I compared game in the past to Dwayne Wade's and Wade was fabulous while rarely shooting threes during his prime.

If what you're saying is the case that she doesn't have handle - then it doesn't appear to me offensively she is much of a 2/3. The team's offense has better weapons than running picks for Meg in which she doesn't have much handle to then bust her defender off the dribble. Whiel Lou doesn't bust pleyrs muhc off the dribble - teams tend to put much smaller players on her and as a result with her jump shot she can hit but is also a threat to run further off the pick for 3's. All Walker can do is shoot a 2 off of a pick. The game now is more high-powered and the three is a weapon. Unless ofc Walker can shoot 60% or better off of picks? I doubt it. Her shot isn't that automatic. And if she can't shoot from 3, when she is in the game anytime she catches the ball from the perimeter, she doesn't help getting the ball to our elite players.

I haven't seen her enough- but anyhow my initial take is that she has enough handle to be like a high post player - a Gabby. I'd prefer to have three point shooters surrounding Walker so she can make plays 15 feet or so and in-- rather than letting her be a 2/3 in which UCONN will only get "rewarded" by Walker 2's rather than other options of very good shooters from 3.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

If what you're saying is the case that she doesn't have handle - then it doesn't appear to me offensively she is much of a 2/3. The team's offense has better weapons than running picks for Meg in which she doesn't have much handle to then bust her defender off the dribble. Whiel Lou doesn't bust pleyrs muhc off the dribble - teams tend to put much smaller players on her and as a result with her jump shot she can hit but is also a threat to run further off the pick for 3's. All Walker can do is shoot a 2 off of a pick. The game now is more high-powered and the three is a weapon. Unless ofc Walker can shoot 60% or better off of picks? I doubt it. Her shot isn't that automatic. And if she can't shoot from 3, when she is in the game anytime she catches the ball from the perimeter, she doesn't help getting the ball to our elite players.

I haven't seen her enough- but anyhow my initial take is that she has enough handle to be like a high post player - a Gabby. I'd prefer to have three point shooters surrounding Walker so she can make plays 15 feet or so and in-- rather than letting her be a 2/3 in which UCONN will only get "rewarded" by Walker 2's rather than other options of very good shooters from 3.

Walker's evolution at UCONN will be interesting to watch. The strength of Walkers game is her ability to create mid range shots for herself and get to the rim. I remember Geno on recruiting Sadie Edwards saying he's never had a player like that ( paraphrased) "that can get to the rim at will". UCONN teams have traditionally relied on ball movement (passing), player movement and proper spacing vs relying of dribbling and individual matchup to be effective. Looking forward to the master ( Geno ) utilizing what for him might be a lethal new tool in MW.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Walker's evolution at UCONN will be interesting to watch. The strength of Walkers game is her ability to create mid range shots for herself and get to the rim. I remember Geno on recruiting Sadie Edwards saying he's never had a player like that ( paraphrased) "that can get to the rim at will". UCONN teams have traditionally relied on ball movement (passing), player movement and proper spacing vs relying of dribbling and individual matchup to be effective. Looking forward to the master ( Geno ) utilizing what for him might be a lethal new tool in MW.
One of the things that made DT & Maya great was their ability to take smaller defenders to the rim and score over them. MW has the potential to do the same.

As for PT, Walker will assuredly earn it sooner rather than later by playing defense, rebounding and sharing the ball. Her ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter will develop over time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If what you're saying is the case that she doesn't have handle - then it doesn't appear to me offensively she is much of a 2/3.

I believe Walker qualifies as a small forward. I'd call her a 3 like Lou but Lou is more guardish.

Walker is a playmaker, can score in numerous ways, get to the line and, as we saw yesterday, pass. I like a lot about her game. Hopefully, the three point shot will improve over time.

Reaction Score
I believe Walker qualifies as a small forward. I'd call her a 3 like Lou but Lou is more guardish.

Walker is a playmaker, can score in numerous ways, get to the line and, as we saw yesterday, pass. I like a lot about her game. Hopefully, the three point shot will improve over time.

I need to see more of her. I'm very confused by your evaluation of her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Meg needs to visit a certain house in Huntington Beach. Jon will straighten her out. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom