Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Monday - Netherlands
Tuesday - Canada
Wednesday - France

Canada (2-1) and France (3-0) should be good tests.

Mike Flynn tweeted that up to 30 college coaches will arrive Tuesday, the first day of the next viewing period. I believe Geno is planning to attend.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Quentin Hillsman suggested that there are maybe 10 players (not on the US team) with the ability to make an impact at a high level in the US. If his assessment is accurate, 30 coaches chasing 10 players is a challenging ratio.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Phil, do you know if it's too late for a foreign player to come to UConn and play in 2013-14? Not sure of the rules around this.

If Geno could pick up a talented player from this pool who can contribute and add depth, it would be a positive development.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Good question, I do not know the answer.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Many of the coaches will be there to show some love to A'ja Wilson.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Today's game will be at 1:15 East coast time (if my math is right)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
France gave us a very tough time 2 years ago in the 19U championship. We had already lost once...a loss to france would have knocked us out. I seem to recall that 7-1 had about 20 and we pulled it out. I would bet that long-ago game will be mentioned a time or two.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
France gave us a very tough time 2 years ago in the 19U championship. We had already lost once...a loss to france would have knocked us out. I seem to recall that 7-1 had about 20 and we pulled it out. I would bet that long-ago game will be mentioned a time or two.

There's a discussion of that game at USA Women's U18 and U19 teams

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe a player can enroll at a US university anytime and as long as the academics translation between foreign school and US school are sound they can be immediately eligible for athletics. It sometimes takes a little time to do the academic equivalency if the school system is very different, but most of the European systems transfer pretty easily. The other issue is of course is the 'professional' one - a lot of the kids start being paid for basketball in 'developmental' leagues around the world - often by a full professional team that owns their rights. The NCAA then has a big problem with them - has happened a few times in MCBB.

Reaction Score
With all the coaches arriving I have a question. Are they able to approach the players or can they just watch?

Reaction Score
. . .Canada (2-1) and France (3-0) should be good tests. . .

I'm not sure anyone is going to be a good test for this bunch. Maybe Spain can keep within
30 pts of our kids. We'll see.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone is going to be a good test for this bunch. Maybe Spain can keep within
30 pts of our kids. We'll see.
They sure look very strong, but those prelim games were 'vanilla' and Spain' s best player and the MVP of the Euro 20 and under was not with the team because of the Euro competition (I think another player as well but not sure. My feeling - as long as they continue to play strong the can't be beat, but if they have a bad game against one of the stronger teams they might have trouble.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone is going to be a good test for this bunch.
With all the sarcasm I can muster.....I don't know you should be so confident. If you look at the past four games, it's quite apparent that the team is becoming offensively challenged against better teams. These games the team has only generated offense of 113, then 103, then 103, then 102 points. Clearly declining. If this trend of decreasing offensive output continues, the team is doomed.

Reaction Score
Phil, do you know if it's too late for a foreign player to come to UConn and play in 2013-14? Not sure of the rules around this.

If Geno could pick up a talented player from this pool who can contribute and add depth, it would be a positive development.
I was expecting him to do this last year with all the world travel he was doing. Maybe its hard to find one who could really help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom